Menu

What are your tips for living in a two story home?

We're moving from one story to two, and I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions to help us lessen the constant traveling up and down. My parents will be living with us, and they'll be downstairs (for health reasons) in the Master. Also downstairs will be a the main living area, kitchen, and a shared office. Upstairs will be the bedrooms for hubby and I and our 5 boys. A schoolroom (or possibly just a bookshelf/storage room, depending on where we actually end up doing school) is also upstairs.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of keeping one vacuum up and one down. (My mom will bring hers with her when she moves in.) Also, we'll probably duplicate office/school items like stapler, hole punch, scissors, etc...

Any other ideas? How do you handle laundry? Our laundry room is down. Seems like it'll be a real hassle to lug everything up and down stairs each day. Do your kids drag toys/games/personal items downstairs each day? Is it a hassle to get everything back upstairs where it belongs? Any advice would be great.

We keep a basket at the bottom of the stairs to help collect things that need to go up. As for laundry, we are fortunate to have a laundry chute, so things get down easily enough. To get them back up, we wait until the laundry basket is full and then carry it up (about once a week). Our toyroom is upstairs, so all toys stay up there unless there is a very special circumstance. We have only a teeny bit of carpet downstairs, so our old vacuum lives there, and then we use the house vac upstairs.

For your situation, I think one vacuum up and one down is an excellent idea. I would also designate a toy area on one of the floors and make a rule that toys stay on that floor, or you will have lots of messes. As for laundry, you could build in a routine that dirty clothes go downstairs in the morning when they go down for breakfast and clean clothes come upstairs when they come up to go to bed.

We do end up taking certain things up and down, mostly because my 3 year old daughter likes to bring things down that I want upstairs. I doubt that will change anytime soon, but the best advice I can give is to have cleaning supplies on both floors. For some reason I am much better at keeping the house clean now that I have everything I need on both floors. I hate cleaning though so I am lazy about it. :tongue_smilie:

I still haven't figured out how to deal with the school stuff though. I have our loft set up as the school room, but then our computer is downstairs so I do most of my planning downstairs. I usually just end up taking things up and down. Hopefully, I will come up with a better way soon!

I have one vacuum up and one down as well. Laundry I do FlyLady style: All dirty laundry is put in a central hamper (on each floor if we had bedrooms on each floor) and is collected when I get up in the morning, taken to the laundry room, sorted, and one load started. I fold the load from yesterday in the dryer and put it out to take upstairs (or have each owner take their respective pile) to take care of. One load a day and it never piles up. When I one day design my own home, I will SO have a laundry chute!

Our very small but functional kitchen is our schoolroom and I do have duplicate office supplies in a single designated cupboard, but our office is also nearby.

We have clean-up time at the end of every day, usually after dinner, but always before bed. I hate waking up to a disaster area. I help create piles for each family member and they take care of them. They take care of them because their bedrooms have to be clean before bed, too.

Other than that, just look at it as another way to get your exercise!

I second the stair basket. They actually have baskets that are designed to sit on the stairs. It is my 6 year old's job to empty it at the end of every day.

My kids are responsible for bringing their laundry to and from the laundry room as part of their afternoon chores.

Any other ideas? How do you handle laundry? Our laundry room is down. Seems like it'll be a real hassle to lug everything up and down stairs each day.

Well, it would seem like a hassle to me to go upstairs and start a load of wash, go downstairs, go back up to put that load in the dryer and start another in the washer, go back downstairs, go back upstairs to take out the clothes in the dryer and put the clothes in the washer into the dryer and start another load of wash...

I just take all the laundry downstairs and do it all where I'm spending most of my time. I fold (or hang up) the clothes as they come out of the dryer and make one trip back upstairs when everything is finished.

Laundry is probably the biggest hassle.

I have an upstairs and a downstairs broom and dust pan. I have books upstairs and downstairs. Say, bedtime books in the bedroom, other ones in the main area, with plenty of mixing as desired (mostly by the kids).

It sounds like in your case most everything for you will be upstairs, and I think that will make a difference.

Having lived in a two story house for all my married life, I finally settled on making room for a schoolroom downstairs. In both houses there was more room upstairs for a schoolroom, but we always ended up bring school to the kitchen table because Mom so often ends up having to get a meal started or laundry changed in the downstairs. So this year I'm planning on setting up a school corner for our books on the main floor and doing school down here.

Consider this can your kids stay on track without you being there all the time? Are you going to have to go down to doa ny chores during school?

For us it ends up running smoother if we stay downstairs. I can keep my eyes on them. I can still do a few other projects while I watch for any that need help. HTH

Having lived in a two story house for all my married life, I finally settled on making room for a schoolroom downstairs. In both houses there was more room upstairs for a schoolroom, but we always ended up bring school to the kitchen table because Mom so often ends up having to get a meal started or laundry changed in the downstairs. So this year I'm planning on setting up a school corner for our books on the main floor and doing school down here.

Consider this can your kids stay on track without you being there all the time? Are you going to have to go down to doa ny chores during school?

For us it ends up running smoother if we stay downstairs. I can keep my eyes on them. I can still do a few other projects while I watch for any that need help. HTH

Yes, I'm trying to figure out exactly where we'll do school. The laundry room and kitchen are pretty central to my day, so a downstairs school room would be ideal. But all of our downspairs space will be shared with my parents, and the idea of going upstairs for privacy (for both of us) sounds great. Theoretically, I'm in love with the idea of finishing breakfast dishes and throwing in a load of laundry, then going upstairs for the rest of the morning until lunch. I don't know if I'm organized enough to stay in one spot for the whole morning, though. I like the idea of being able to stand over the kitchen sink while also fielding questions from my kids when they run into problems with schoolwork.

Well, we do use the stairs as a conveyer belt system. I would suggest beginning immediate training that as one enters the stairway, one picks up from there any item that one recognizes as a belonging and returns it on the way upstairs (or vice versa). If everyone helps to do this, the stairway should stay relatively emptied and belongings should stay on the level where they belong.

My laundry is up, where our bedrooms are located, so that's simpler for me. For your situation, I believe that I'd get everyone to bring theirs down on an appointed day(s) and then pick up and return their cleaned things after they're ready.

I think a vacuum on each level is definitely helpful.

quote.gif

:iagree: I spend 99% of my day downstairs. If I had to do school upstairs I would be so constantly interrupted by laundry/dinner prep/etc that we'd either get nothing done or not have dinner!

Laundry isn't really the main issue. I go up and down the stairs hundreds of times a day even with the kids doing their own (they each have a day they "own" the washer and dryer.)

On the bright side, you will get more exercise :001_smile:.

Not sure how old your boys are, but if you have a little one if diapers, try to have two changing stations. One downstairs and one upstairs. This helps so you don't have to continuously drag a little one upstairs for changing purposes. This also helps if you have one potty training and they are using a potty chair or ring.

As for other stuff, I second the basket idea, but be prepared cause it will take you at least a month or so to get used to both stories. You will go up and down constantly, but it does get better.:001_smile:

I would keep all toys upstairs. Non-negotiable. Your "guest area" is downstairs, and needs to be kept easy to pick up quickly, in the event of visitors. Also, your parents will be living downstairs. Tripping over toys -- even something so small as a few Legos -- could cause serious injury for them.

Constant "travel" is built in to this living arrangement. Not only will you all adjust, but you will be the most physically fit family on your street because of the stairs !

We live in a 2-story -- and never again shall I consent to same ! After I broke my leg clear through in three places (fall of 2003), it was 16 months before I ever was physically able to go upstairs in my own house.

Honestly, it's never been an issue for us. Maybe it's because my two-story houses have been small? I *do* have a stair-basket on the bottom of the stairs for stuff to be taken up, but I only got that recently, and I'm not sure it has really helped anything. :) If you have carpet both upstairs and down, a second vacuum does sound like it would be useful. Otherwise, I just wouldn't fret.

Also, in our last house, the bedrooms were upstairs and the laundry downstairs. It wasn't such a big deal. Now the laundry is upstairs with the kids' rooms, but our room is downstairs. I do find it easiest to sort and fold the clothes next to the washer and dryer, then send individual piles of folded clothes to the separate rooms.

My solution to toys in a 2-story is to require most of the toys to stay and be played with upstairs. I keep 2 baskets downstairs for ds2 - one for toys and one for books. He has a few other things like is toddler ride-ons that stay downstairs also. That way he can play and still be with me when he wants to be near. Dd occasionally brings down a doll or bear to play with, but otherwise plays upstairs. HTH!

In my 2 storey, the laundry room is int he basement which is a huge PITA. I typically have the kids toss the clothes down the first set of stairs to the main floor and then again down the basement stairs on the weekend and then spend the week tackling mount washmore in the basement. THe toyroom is in the basement which helps keep toys contained, though my toddler's toys are kept in the livingroom since she is not old enough to be heading to the basement alone.

I only have 1 vacuum and lug it up and down the stairs when I need it. It is a pita but works. I use the bottom step on the stairs to be a catch all for things that belong upstairs, as people walk up they are to take an item and put it back up there. For things that belong on the mainfloor I keep a basket upstairs to carry it all down in 1 shot.

We do school ont he main floor in the kitchen and livingroom as that is the only space I have room for it. My biggest problem with a 2 storey is thekids can get into more trouble, as I can not easily see or hear them if they are on a different level than me, as well I find I have to yell more, hollaring up or down the stairs to get someone's attention.