Menu

Dentist visit grrrr!

DD9 has been complaining of mild toothache pain on several occasions. Went to the dentist today. She has some infection under 2 baby teeth and they will have to be pulled. She also has 5 cavities in other baby teeth. Tomorrow we go back at 4PM for him to pull the 2 baby teeth and fill the cavities. I'm just frustrated b/c I'm wondering how things can get that bad between the last cleaning in Jan. and now. She had 6 fillings done in Jan/Feb! Part of me thinks perhaps the dentist is milking us b/c we have medicaid. I'm frustrated b/c medicaid will probably end at the end of July (haven't heard for sure) and she will need a spacer which will have to be paid for out of our pocket--which leaves us with an interesting decision: spacer or food? Please don't judge me/us...and b/4 you ask, yes we brush teeth and really well too. I think she's just inherited bad teeth from dad and grandma. My step daughter has had TONS of dental work done and has had many baby teeth pulled as well as my DH and his mom. She had false teeth very early in life b/c of her bad teeth. Just venting! Thanks!

Sorry you are dealing with all of this. Does she really need the spacer? I don't know what a spacer is, but the dentist told me I needed a porcelain tooth put in place of one he pulled a few years back and I never had it done. No problems.

It could be that he is milking medicaid. We had that happen with a foster child, but when I tried to argue with the social worker about it she said he had to have the teeth filled. Poor little guy; his teeth were fine. I truly hope this is not the case for your dd, because dental stuff is yucky. It is not easy to get a second opinion with medicaid either, but if you can, look into it.

I totally agree that some people just have bad teeth. My dad and uncle had the same diet and the same teeth brushing habits as kids, and my dad has had only 1 cavity in 58 years while my uncle had so many cavities as a kid it was sad. The dentist blamed my grandma, but seriously it is just his teeth. Unfortunately I did not inherit my dad's good teeth *sigh*.

Our son has a spacer. It's to keep the other baby teeth and adult teeth from growing and moving in the wrong places till the removed baby teeth have been replaced. It's been an adjustment for him, not to eat so much sticky stuff.

I don't know if it's 'essential' ... but it seemed to be pretty important, since it will be a few years before those teeth would've naturally come out and grown back in on their own. So I'd rather we had it done.

My son too inherited bad teeth, unfortunately. I'm hoping my daughter will be luckier... Though I guess some could be diet, as I find myself getting more cavities as an adult than I did as a child.

It's possible that it's just bad teeth, or lack of florine while before she was even born.

My ds was born in a country that didn't floridate the water. Our dentist said that prior to birth is when the dentine is laid down on the baby teeth and the lack of florine at this stage is detrimental. But ds didn't need teeth pulled because of it, just cavities filled.

And then there was the dentist's embarressment. One of his dc had tons of cavities. Just the one, but still not a good advertisment for his df.:001_smile:

DD9 has been complaining of mild toothache pain on several occasions. Went to the dentist today. She has some infection under 2 baby teeth and they will have to be pulled. She also has 5 cavities in other baby teeth. Tomorrow we go back at 4PM for him to pull the 2 baby teeth and fill the cavities. I'm just frustrated b/c I'm wondering how things can get that bad between the last cleaning in Jan. and now. She had 6 fillings done in Jan/Feb! Part of me thinks perhaps the dentist is milking us b/c we have medicaid. I'm frustrated b/c medicaid will probably end at the end of July (haven't heard for sure) and she will need a spacer which will have to be paid for out of our pocket--which leaves us with an interesting decision: spacer or food? Please don't judge me/us...and b/4 you ask, yes we brush teeth and really well too. I think she's just inherited bad teeth from dad and grandma. My step daughter has had TONS of dental work done and has had many baby teeth pulled as well as my DH and his mom. She had false teeth very early in life b/c of her bad teeth. Just venting! Thanks!

Act Rinse is wonderful to use to prevent cavities..we haven't had any since we started using that at bedtime..which has been 6 years.

Either get the spacer or plan to spend a lot of time and money on orthodontics. In a child with a growing mouth the spacer will help to keep the teeth aligned thus holding open the place needed for the permanent tooth. Without the needed amount of space the permanent tooth has a few unattractive options. It can come in in front of the row of teeth, behind the row of teeth, at an angle perhaps putting pressure on and weakening the roots of the tooth in front of or behind it, or sideways. I vote to get the spacer.

Sorry about all the dental work.:(

HTH-

Mandy

My friends son had a toothache and they waited one month to get into the dentist. The boy ended up with a root canal on a baby tooth!

My tips:

Children need to drink unfiliterd tap water. Filters remove fluroide.

Have their adult molars sealed.

My dc brush after each meal.

I have outlawed gummy candies, hard candies, lollipops, etc.

After doing all this we have had no cavities the last 2 years!

It's possible that it's just bad teeth, or lack of florine while before she was even born.

My ds was born in a country that didn't floridate the water. Our dentist said that prior to birth is when the dentine is laid down on the baby teeth and the lack of florine at this stage is detrimental. But ds didn't need teeth pulled because of it, just cavities filled.

And then there was the dentist's embarressment. One of his dc had tons of cavities. Just the one, but still not a good advertisment for his df.:001_smile:

:iagree:

After moving away from our last dentist, who was constantly harping on me about my DS' poor teeth condition, our new dentist confirmed this is what happened. What a relief to finally be taken at my word that I was, in fact, taking as good of care of my DS' teeth as possible.

My DS had to get an extraction and space maintainer as well. I would really pay for the space maintainer somehow, especially if (as I take your post) your DD is having 2 teeth pulled. Paying for a space maintainer now, could mean that you will have less or no orthodontic work later.

The last few checkups for DS have gone better. He is on Act Kids floride rinse each night, and we switched to an electric toothbrush with a timer so that the cleaning each morning and night are more thourough. The dentist could really tell that we switched toothbrushes because my kids' had little to no buildup on their teeth at their last appointment.

:iagree:

After moving away from our last dentist, who was constantly harping on me about my DS' poor teeth condition, our new dentist confirmed this is what happened. What a relief to finally be taken at my word that I was, in fact, taking as good of care of my DS' teeth as possible.

My DS had to get an extraction and space maintainer as well. I would really pay for the space maintainer somehow, especially if (as I take your post) your DD is having 2 teeth pulled. Paying for a space maintainer now, could mean that you will have less or no orthodontic work later.

The last few checkups for DS have gone better. He is on Act Kids floride rinse each night, and we switched to an electric toothbrush with a timer so that the cleaning each morning and night are more thourough. The dentist could really tell that we switched toothbrushes because my kids' had little to no buildup on their teeth at their last appointment.

Then we combine this info with another thread that is complaining about floridation, amongst other things, for health reasons. What are we to do? Which is the worse risk? How do we evaluate? And I think I've just started another thread. Sorry

I am kind of wondering about whether or not fluoride really helps. We started filtering out water 9 years ago, because we have jet fuel leaking into the lake where our water comes from. We have a charcoal filter on our water softener and reverse osmosis on our sink. I have three kids and not one of them has ever had a cavity (oldest is 9). My husband has had a couple and of course there are my bad teeth lol.

If it works for your kids then go for it, but I have not seen any negatives in mine by not having it.

The benefit/risk can be answered by looking at studies that show our mouth health affects the health of our bodies. If we have bad teeth, then we have more risk of heart issues and such (I hope this is not the case for me :confused:). Fluoride may not be good for us, but neither is a sick body.

I read that thread as well. My official stance is "I don't know". I was always against adding fluoride to the water because the city in which I lived growing up had higher levels of fluoride. My teeth have a little bit of fluorisis because of this, which actually caused a few weeks spots on my teeth. I signed every petition against adding fluoride to water...and I still am hesitant.

However, I can't deny that the fluoride rinse is helping my DS to have fewer cavities. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it is a rinse and is not ingested...I don't know. Maybe it is solely because of the new toothbrush...I just try to do the best I can and call that good enough.

BTW, my DS has had an extraction, 5 crowns, and countless fillings. He's had a LOT of problems in there that are now slowing down.

My son was suppose to have a spacer for his baby teeth but we could not afford it. We waited until all his adult teeth came in and at the age of 13 he has braces (which he probably would have needed anyway). If you can't afford the spacer now its okay. In the long run it is more important to feed them than have perfect teeth. Who knows what your financial position will be in a few years.

Also my DH is obsessive about his teeth. He brushes, floss, and rinse multiple times a day. His mouth is full of metal and mine is fine! Sometimes it really is bad teeth.

Cavities are fundamentally these issues:

insufficient vitamin d (deficiency is pandemic)

insufficient vitamin k

and possibly this as well:

magnesium

and perhaps, but less likely:

calcium

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/pregnancy-and-gestational-vitamin-d-deficiency.shtml'>http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/pregnancy-and-gestational-vitamin-d-deficiency.shtml'>http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/pregnancy-and-gestational-vitamin-d-deficiency.shtml'>http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/pregnancy-and-gestational-vitamin-d-deficiency.shtml

<<Seventeen experts—many of them world-class experts—recently recommended:

"Until we have better information on doses of vitamin D that will reliably provide adequate blood levels of 25(OH)D without toxicity, treatment of vitamin D deficiency in otherwise healthy children should be individualized according to the numerous factors that affect 25(OH)D levels, such as body weight, percent body fat, skin melanin, latitude, season of the year, and sun exposure. The doses of sunshine or oral vitamin D3 used in healthy children should be designed to maintain 25(OH)D levels above 50 ng/mL. As a rule, in the absence of significant sun exposure, we believe that most healthy children need about 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 daily per 11 kg (25 lb) of body weight to obtain levels greater than 50 ng/mL. Some will need more, and others less. In our opinion, children with chronic illnesses such as autism, diabetes, and/or frequent infections should be supplemented with higher doses of sunshine or vitamin D3, doses adequate to maintain their 25(OH)D levels in the mid-normal of the reference range (65 ng/mL) — and should be so supplemented year-round (p. 868)." >>

and this:

CAVITIES and LOW VITAMIN D DURING FETAL DEVELOPMENT

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/pregnancy-and-gestational-vitamin-d-deficiency.shtml

<<Dr. Robert Schroth from the University of Manitoba reported that mothers of children who developed cavities at an early age had significantly lower vitamin D levels during pregnancy than those whose children were cavity-free.

CAVITIES and LOW VITAMIN D IN CHILDREN

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsletter/2008-october.shtml

<<Yes, it is true. Several months after your child begins taking adequate doses of vitamin D, cavities will stop forming. Actually, Professor McBeath did a placebo-controlled trial (PDF format) in New York City orphanages in 1934 of 425 children. The children received either no vitamin D or 330, 465, or about 1,000 IU (the paper uses Steenbock units, one Steenbock unit is 3.3 IU) of vitamin D a day as cod liver oil. Also, remember, cod liver oil in the 1930s had much more vitamin D, and perhaps less vitamin A, than modern cod liver oil. McBeath said he conducted this study because several earlier studies showed ultraviolet irradiation gave "striking results" in stopping cavity formation. McBeath's results were quite amazing in preventing new cavities. Like the paper on acne above, you can read the entire study yourself. Remember that 1,000 IU of vitamin D is not enough for many children to obtain levels of 50 ng/mL, however, this study showed that even 1,000 IU virtually stopped new caries from developing.>>

CAVITIES and nutrition and health

http://www.cforyourself.com/Blog/2008/09/prevent-cavities-vitamin-d-vitamin-c.html

<<Take a look at this recent study showing a clear correlation between cavities and dementia. I recommend taking news of a cavity from your dentist seriously. Read more here.

Vitamins prevent cavities by improving overall basic health. Vitamins have been readily available for decades, yet many people still suffer from poor health and therefore have multiple teeth with cavities as senior citizens. People haven’t yet learned how to take vitamins to optimize health. I believe that an important reason is that most people can’t feel vitamins working. That’s bad news.

The good news is that there are only four really important vitamins. These are the four vitamins associated with pandemic deficiency disease: vitamin C/scurvy, vitamin D/rickets, thiamine/beriberi, and niacin/pellagra. Optimizing these four vitamins alone will result in a step-change reduction in cavities. Read more here. If you have recently had a cavity filled (or are responsible for the care of someone who has recently had a cavity filled), you have much to gain and nothing to lose by reading on.

If you are looking for good doses to start with, click here.

Vitamin D and thiamine deficiencies probably account for most premature cavities. Vitamin D deficiency is caused by a combination of geography and modern living. The natural means of getting large daily doses of vitamin D is from sunshine. If you live outside the tropics, in the winter it is difficult to get enough sun exposure to deliver optimal doses of vitamin D. Not only is there a lot less intense sunshine in the winter, but the cold weather causes people to wear clothes which blocks the limited amount of sunshine naturally available.

Modern living compounds these problems. Most people work inside and dress professionally. Incredibly, mainstream medicine doesn’t see this as a problem, and does nothing while medical colleagues paid by industry advertise the risks of sun exposure (primarily skin damage and skin cancer) in order to sell sunscreens and other cosmetic products. Scared by these risks, and blind to the dangers of avoiding the sun, many people are reducing exposure to the sun even further.>>