Menu

How do I make a long-distance move educational?

prim*rose

We are moving from Wisconsin to Phoenix in a month. We're planning on taking a somewhat scenic drive on I-90 through southern Minnesota, South Dakota (including Mt. Rushmore - we're spending an extra day there), then to I-25 to eastern Wyoming, Colorado (Denver/Colorado Springs - we're spending an extra day or two here as well), New Mexico (Albuquerque), then I-40 over to Phoenix.

I'm crazy busy with packing and everything else, and have little time to prepare educational lessons on the areas we're going to see and such. I would love to have little packets of information for each state and historical landmarks that we'll see.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something like this? I'm not sure where to even begin looking.

And also, if anyone has been through these areas before, do you have any suggestions on where to stop or what sites to see? We plan on driving for 2-3 hours, then taking a "fun break" somewhere - factory tours, parks, etc.

Thank you so much!

We just took a road trip from GA to MT. We drove all through South Dakota along I -90. It was great.

We saw Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park (Needles Hwy, Sylvan Lake, and a herd of buffalo right along the side of the road!), we stopped at Wall Drug (you'll see signs for this all along I-90), The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD (free!), and LOVED Badlands State Park (plan for time to climb, visit the interactive visitor center and take a side trip in the park to see the prairie dog town!).

We didn't have time to visit DeSmet, SD - one of the homes of Laura Ingalls Wilder, but I wish we had. You'll see signs for this near exit 350 on I-90.

You are going to have a blast! I'm tempted to attach pictures, but you can find photos and information online. If you have any questions. You can contact me.

One simple educational car game idea: I printed out an outline map with the names of the states and capitols indicated. We played the license plate game: if you see a license plate for a state, you get to fill it in on your map. Only one person can "claim" a state per license plate. I offered a prize for whoever had the most states filled in by the end of the trip.

I was amazed at how much dc got into this simple game. Really. The dc are ages 13 - 22. And I was amazed (and slightly chagrined) at how many light bulb moments were occurring, "St. Louis is in Missouri?" It was great.

Oldest ds found all but 3 states on that trip. Very easy, fun and educational.

Edited by HappyatHome

I would love to have little packets of information for each state and historical landmarks that we'll see.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something like this? I'm not sure where to even begin looking.

When you're taking a break from packing (lunchtime?) look at the websites for the areas you'll be driving - particularly Mt. Rushmore, I'm sure you could contact them for information and it would probably arrive before you leave. If nothing else you can create your own file of opening hours, not-to-be-missed details, etc. I'm jealous - we can't seem to get to Mt. Rushmore :glare:

I think travel is one of the most educational things! How great that you are doing this.

What about New Mexico? Can you spend a little time there? Santa Fe is amazing and has a lot of history. Many things are centrally located near the main plaza. Taos Pueblo too if it isn't too far away. You may be passing other pueblos -- try to stop if they allow visitors.

The Four Corners are has so much amazing stuff, but you'll probably be able to do that from your new home base.:001_smile:

Check out this homeschool mom's blog:

"Just call me Jamin" if you type that in the address bar without spaces you'll find it. She made up packets for her three kids a few weeks ago for their trip to DC. You're not going THERE, of course, but she'll tell you what she did and how.

You can also get GREAT info from Jimmie on Squidoo and from her blog, "Jimmie's collage". She has a ton of info on state studies. Crayola has a coloring sheet for each state. You could make up a journal/ notebook for each state you pass through.

Another idea is to buy them each a disposable camera (I can't remember their ages now, though), make up a list of things to see that are coming up and they can choose what they want to take pictures of and then review it when the photos are developed (and after you are somewhat moved in!).

FWIW: Be gentle on yourself. Moving is a huge deal. They will learn on their own just by experiencing this and will take from that without you having to do everything to encourage a specific kind of learning.

Sorry I didn't provide links -- I'm typing fast, but they are easy to find with google.

HTH

Well, there is the obvious read in the car, study the map, plan the route, calculate mileage, mpg, etc. Playing games like BrainQuest in the car.

Also, most historic sites, museums etc. have a education portion to their websites. The do them for teachers who are planning field trips-you just have a really small class. There are activities, lesson plans etc. that are often included. Also, check out the "gift shop" and info desk when you enter. They often have educational materials for kids to use during their time at the site. Some have extra badges for Cub/Boy/Girl Scouts etc to earn. We always bring materials for drawing. It helps pass car and hotel time.

Can you get AAA to give you such tourist info?

Also, in many states the first rest stop is the one with the big tourist info/welcome section. They have maps and tourist info.

We just took a road trip from GA to MT. We drove all through South Dakota along I -90. It was great.

We saw Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park (Needles Hwy, Sylvan Lake, and a herd of buffalo right along the side of the road!), we stopped at Wall Drug (you'll see signs for this all along I-90), The Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD (free!), and LOVED Badlands State Park (plan for time to climb, visit the interactive visitor center and take a side trip in the park to see the prairie dog town!).

We didn't have time to visit DeSmet, SD - one of the homes of Laura Ingalls Wilder, but I wish we had. You'll see signs for this near exit 350 on I-90.

Thanks so much for the ideas of places to stop & check out! We definitely need some fun things to do, since it will be such a long drive.

Thanks everyone for the tips & ideas, as well! Some great info to help us!

I'm crazy busy with packing and everything else, and have little time to prepare educational lessons on the areas we're going to see and such. I would love to have little packets of information for each state and historical landmarks that we'll see.

I don't think you need to worry about preparing educational lessons. I think it will be enough to go and enjoy the places you stop and visit. You could pick up literature and stuff at each location, but I sure wouldn't try to make up a whole lot of stuff ahead of time (other than knowing where you'll stop).

Y'all should just enjoy the trip.