Menu

Here is my recipe:

Chicken Curry

2 T. oil

2. c. chopped onion

½ c. chopped green bell pepper

2 cloves garlic

6 pieces of chicken (I used one pound of boneless, skinless breasts, cubed)

1 t. curry powder (HEAPING!!!) (plus at least 1 t HOT curry powder

½ t. cumin

½ t. coriander

1 ½ t. salt

½ c. water

¼ c. lemon juice

1 8 ounce can tomato sauce

Heat oil in heavy pan or Dutch oven. Add onions, pepper and sauté one minute before adding garlic. Continue until all are softened. (I blended the vegetables at this point so they can be smooth and un-chunky in the sauce, because that’s the way I roll, but, you know…..whatever works for ya!)

Keep vegetables (or vegetable paste if you went with my modification) separate for now.

Saute chicken in pan until nicely browned. It should resemble the colour of a finely aged leather portfolio. After chicken is mostly cooked through, add vegetables back in as well as the remaining ingredients. Let simmer on stove until you get an inner sense that it is ready.

You will know.

Serve over rice with Naan.

MMMmmmm...curry. My favorite for quick cold snacks/lunches is a curry chicken salad.

In a decent-sized mixing bowl, I mix a big can of chicken breast (I get it at Sam's Club...just drain and shred) with a combo of the following:

Finely diced grapes and/or apples

Chopped celery

Finely diced carrots

Chopped walnuts and/or pecans

Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip to consistency

Curry powder and hot curry powder to taste

I change quantities and substitute as necessary, experimenting with other veggies/fruits/spices/whatever's on hand, but this is the basic recipe. Serve on crackers, bread, pita, tortillas, etc.

Edited by d.g.
forgot something

I have a couple of different curry recipes I have been making lately - one vegan, one with ground beef, both delicious.

The ground beef one I got from the More with Less Cookbook, they call it Pakistani Rima or something. Only I double all the spices and add a can of coconut milk which is so so so good. I use 2 Tbsp curry powder so I need to buy more before making it again.

The vegan one is simple, low key, red lentil dal out of the Peaceful Palate cookbook, I add extra curry powder to this too.

Now I am getting hungry, wonder if I have time to go to the store to get more curry powder?