Menu

S/O on the fulltime RV/Boat question: WHERE would you go?

If you didn't have to worry about living expenses for let's say 1 year... and you could live in a boat or an RV and travel anywhere, where would you go? What kind of adventure would you take? Would you take some school with you (math/LA) and then just learn from the environment?

-just relax in one place?

-an American/Canadian history tour?

-travel the coastlines?

-Mexico?

-or for the more adventurous ---Central/South America, the Caribbean?

Just brainstorm ideas for me please! Its been a fun conversation for our family, and we want some more ideas! Thanks!

I would start here. http://www.floridastateparks.org/HendersonBeach/ It's absolutely gorgeous, beautiful park and literally across the street from any retail you would need. We could probably spend six months just wandering around Florida.

I would go to the Rocky Mountains in the summer. Moab, Utah to the Arches national park, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Snowy Range, Wyoming. These are all places I haven't been to since I was a kid. We go to four corners because ds has been dying to stand in four states at one time.

Then we'd go stay at my parents for a couple of months, go visit dh's family for a while.

Attend at least two Nascar events, probably Texas and Atlanta and maybe Daytona. Visit some friends around the country. Go to Washington D.C., finding educational opportunities as we went. Travel the back roads a lot and just stop where we wanted, when we wanted.

We stumbled upon this musuem on our way home from vacation yesterday. It turned into a highlight of the trip. My ds was telling us all about the planes and weapons, he was an excellent tour guide.

We would take school stuff, especially math and writing, but science and history would be based upon where we were visiting. I would have to require some school get done.

Edited by elegantlion

I probably would take some math/LA with us simply because there are going to be days where you need that 'down' time and math especially is something that is easily forgotten if not used. I would probably try to go on a tour of the national parks and spend a lot of time animal/bird watching.

If you didn't have to worry about living expenses for let's say 1 year... and you could live in a boat or an RV and travel anywhere, where would you go? What kind of adventure would you take? Would you take some school with you (math/LA) and then just learn from the environment?

-just relax in one place?

-an American/Canadian history tour?

-travel the coastlines?

-Mexico?

-or for the more adventurous ---Central/South America, the Caribbean?

Just brainstorm ideas for me please! Its been a fun conversation for our family, and we want some more ideas! Thanks!

(and there's elegantlion again...):lol: I'm just teasing - this is fun dreaming!!

For me, for starters, I'd spend winter in the southern United States. Anywhere there wasn't snow, and anywhere warm and sunny. I'd probably start out wanting to stay in one place for awhile, but maybe venture out here and there. Maybe all the way to California and visit my aunt and some friends. Then in summer, I'd head back up to Canada (gotta keep my health care benefits here), settle somewhere, and venture out again. It would be fun to drive across Canada. Along all this driving, I'd spend time with family and old friends up and down the east coast. OK, I'd probably want to explore the midwest and western U.S., too.

I would take schoolwork with us - definitely skills work, and knowing me, I'd probably start out still trying to keep on track with chrono. history/lit. and organized science somewhat. But take advantage of opportunities that came up. It would just be wonderful to spend long periods of time with friends and family again, though.

But I don't know how we'd get library books on the road????

(and there's elegantlion again...):lol:

But I don't know how we'd get library books on the road????

We broke down and bought a lot of books mostly used. Sometimes we would just take over a library and spend a day or two if we needed. We obviously studied a lot of U.S. geography. Dd was K and 1st when we did this so we were light but did our full curriculum of Singapore, VIE, HO, Latin, and R.E.A.L science.

If we did another year we would do the southern states in the winter too. We would include all the digging spots from "Treasure Hunters" TV show. I'd want to spend a good two weeks at the Smithsonian's and all the civil war stops back east. All the national monuments from Rushmore to the Pueblo Cliffs. We'd head to Alaska through Canada and enjoy all that splendor. Oh gosh, I'm bit again! :tongue_smilie:

We've been wanting to do the South Pacific islands - Fiji, Tahiti, Vanuatu, etc, etc, but there's no way we could afford it. Obviously, that one would be via boat.

If on land, I'd stick with the US and Canada. We've been to 49 of the 50 states and the eastern half of Canada, but there's still plenty of places left to explore.

I'd take most of our school work with us - and what got done, got done. That way there'd be less to catch up on later... Traveling itself is one of the absolute best learning experiences, but since mine are in high school, they'd need something more for their transcripts.

I would spend the warmer months in the northern US, camping and hiking, maybe even spending some time in Canada. I would want to be in Maine and Massachusetts during the fall. I would want to spend lots of time doing early American history field trips in the east. And I would spend the winter in the south.

As far as school work, we would do math and grammar regularly. I would probably have the kids journal for composition, and we would do a lot of read alouds.

Now if only I could convince my hubby, and if only someone else could run the dairy for a year! Maybe I could do this with my grandkids when we're retired.