Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

April in CA

Washington and Lee University

Hello!

My younger ds (will be in 10th grade - gasp!) is intrigued by Washington and Lee University. He learned about it while doing a paper on Lee and Grant last year, and we are distantly related to Lee. (do you think that would help his scholarship chances? :001_smile:) I don't know anything about this school except that it is very far away from us here in CA. Ds is interested in lots of things but thinks he might like to study poly sci or public admin or econ or? He is much more interested in current events and politics than his engineering-oriented older brother.

Any and all info would be much appreciated and gratefully received. Thanks!

Blessings,

April

I have two kids who go to W&L. It's a great school!

1) Top-notch LAC.

2) Very friendly and supportive faculty. Dd1 is there because she is interested in art conservation and a prof there shared her vision of possibilities in that field. She is now in her second amazing internship -- all coordinated by a faculty member just because he is a caring guy who takes his responsibility to mentor students seriously!

My kids have been invited over to profs' houses for pumpkin-carving parties and for Superbowl parties.

My kids have asked endless questions of professors during office hours -- and when they can't make office hours because of conflicts, the profs have been happy to meet at other times.

The feedback my kids have received on their work has been extensive and helpful.

3) More conservative than many schools -- the profs tend to be quite liberal, but the student body tends to be more conservative, and many of the more controversial issues in colleges these days are non-issues at W&L (for better or for worse).

4) Christian groups -- There are two strong Christian groups on campus -- Reformed University Fellowship and Generals Christian Fellowship (Intervarsity). My kids have found both of them encouraging.

5) Money. W&L is a wealthy school. There is generous merit aid available -- about 10% of the freshman class is there on full-ride scholarship!!! Also, there is a fair amount of grant money available to help cover expenses for summer internships and research.

6) Homeschool friendly. W&L has accepted several homeschooled students each of the past several years, and several of those students have received extensive merit aid.

7) Yes, it's a huge party school. In my kids' minds, that's a HUGE negative! But they have found like-minded friends and have totally ignored the party scene. There is life outside the Greek system -- my kids are proof of that!

If you have any more questions, ask away. I am thrilled that my kids are at W&L!

Thank you, Gwen!! I am sure I will have lots of questions, and I am glad to know there is a source of knowledge with actual experience!

Blessings,

April

Hello again, Gwen!

I have a few questions about preparing for Washington and Lee. Basically, how did your kids do it? (grin!) I just found out from reading another thread that W&L requires 5 SAT 2s from homeschooled students. I am glad we learned this now, when younger son is about to begin 10th grade, since we have time to make these things happen. Are there any other things we should know about? Also, is W&L known for any major in particular, like business or engineering or whatever, or are they good across the board? This kind of info is challenging for me to discover. Is there a way to find out what various colleges are strongest in?

I know that your children did AP tests; which ones did they take and do you have any recommendations? My older son is a senior this year and we have pretty much decided that he does not have time for AP this year. Just for reference, though, do AP courses taken Sr yr have any bearing on admissions or scholarships?

Thanks for any advice you can give to a stressing mom!

Blessings,

April

How to manage to take 5 SAT2's -- test early and test often! My son did his first SAT2 in 9th grade, his second in 10th, third and fourth in 11th, and one fall of his senior year. Dd did one in 10th, three in 11th, and one in 12th.

When my kids went for their interviews and scholarship interviews, they were asked a LOT of question about their extracurriculars -- I think most colleges are very interested in extracurriculars, and W&L is no exception.

Definitely pursue AP's during senior year -- they will influence admissions.

1) Colleges want to see a rigorous courseload during senior year;

2) If he gets a 5 on the exam, he may get credit for it;

3) If your kid is motivated and bright, he probably wants the challenge that AP courses provide.

I honestly don't know how to find out which LAC's are stronger in which area. I have seen a listing for undergraduate engineering programs, but I haven't seen a comparable list for LAC-type majors.

W&L is an unusual LAC in that it has a business school (undergrad only), and so many students go to B school afterwards. The business school has a poverty program that looks fascinating. W&L has a great track record with med school admissions. But students go there, like at any LAC, with a wide range of interests. And you never know -- W&L doesn't have an extensive history of students going into art conservation :D (think -- NONE) and my dd has had two absolutely amazing internships.

Best wishes as you sort through the college process. Dh and I spent the evening planning out my younger son's high school coursework -- and I am now really uptight! But somehow it does sort itself out and kids (with guidance) do find the right spot/program. :thumbup1:

But the part of my homeschool mom job that I dislike the most is the role of guidance counselor! :scared:

But the part of my homeschool mom job that I dislike the most is the role of guidance counselor! :scared:

:iagree: Me, too! Especially this yr with a rising senior with lots of issues!

:iagree: Me, too! Especially this yr with a senior with lots of issues and no clue on how to guide his future!