Menu

What materials can you safely use to boarder a raised bed garden?

I have a friend who has rail road ties for her veggie garden forms. This isn't a large garden, just a few beds in a modern sized yard. It seems like they would leech chemicals to me. Is there a reputable, researched, list somewhere that shows what you can safely use and what should be avoided?

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

There are many different opinions on what is safe. I don't remember now what the facts are about railroad ties. For treated lumber, it used to have arsenic, but no longer does. It does have other chemicals, of course. The EPA says it's ok to use treated lumber in outdoor applications like flower beds, but I don't think they say anything about veggie beds. I did a little bit of research on it (well, a good amount of research), and decided to go with treated lumber.

If you want to avoid chemicals altogether, you can go with untreated lumber, but it will crack/warp/rot more quickly.

The nicest looking bed would probably be one made from composite lumber, but it's very expensive.

I have 2 beds made from Link-a-Bord kits http://nga-gardenshop.stores.yahoo.net/13-1355.html . This is my 3rd summer with them, and they're starting to bow out a little. Not bad, though. They still look nice. But my treated lumber bed looks so much nicer in comparison, and cost half as much (I built it this spring).

While the posters above have listed good choices, I encourage you to consider using

nothing

to border your beds.

I have over 1000 sq. ft. of raised beds in our vegetable garden that have been very productive over the last 7 years. They have no borders at all.

My big issue was deciding what to use for the paths. I had raised beds before with grass paths, and the grass was a big problem. It kept runnering into the beds and took a lot of time to maintain every year. We discovered this product:

https://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-Gardeners-Site/Sites-CATALOG_Gardeners/default/pwr/product-reviews/Yard-Landscaping/Landscaping/Edging-Mulches/p/34__312-Pro-Weed-Mat-3-x-50.html

My oldest ds dug shallow trenches along our path borders and we buried the edges of the mats in them. The paths are 2 feet wide, and we buried 6" of mat on either side. The beds are 4 feet wide and 24 feet long. Its been fabulous setup for our needs. The paths can walked on and swept, they don't get muddy so you can get right out in the garden after it rains, and they look decent. We've found that the edges ravel so they must be singed before use.

If I had tons of money I'd get brick or pavers, but these work well for our purpose. I'd rather have nice paths than borders.

Just my $0.02.

GardenMom

We put in two small gardens last winter..we did it with cedar boards after doing all kinds of research..do this, don't do that..this gets in, if its not treated then it wears down.....aarrgh.. cedar was perfect for us.. its beautiful and smells nice and lasts for a long time..

Organic Gardening (magazine/website) has information about what to use/what not to use. You can write questions on their forums and get lots of good info. Or write into the magazine.

I would not use railroad ties. We have raised beds made of untreated wood with the area between with weedblock and mulch. Makes it very easy to take care of.

I second the motion for nothing. In my garden we have paths between planting sections. For the paths we use economy pine shaving mulch from the local livestock bedding place. It's about $7 for a pickup full and has lasted two years so far. This year I put a very thin layer on top of last years layer because I love the smell.