Menu

Homeschooling *college*

skaterbabs

My dh was in the military and I received my associates in Panama. But I kept losing credits because when we transferred I had to start at a new school. So I went through the University of the State of NY. It is now called Excelisor and I received my Bachelor's in 1988. I passed out of quite a few classes by testing, correspondence, and of course outside classes. I don't know if the program is the same now or not, but it worked great for me. Another option is Thomas Edison.

Veronica

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid a distance school and just study enough of the pre-reqs to avoid taking them as college courses (and paying tuition for things I can learn on my own. :p )

So, is your plan to self-educate? I don't know of any institution that will give you credit for homeschooled college courses (grin), but you might find a program that will give you the opportunity to test-out of some credits. You'll still end up paying $20,000 for a bachelor's degree (at least).

Now, if you don't care about a DEGREE, and you want to self-educate a similar scope and sequence as one would get in a college program, then I'd suggest you get a college catalog, and shop for books in a college bookstore. :) I've done that for a few courses. In fact, if you'll buy older books (after the college moves to the new edition), and look for a syllabus online, you might find you can come really close to replicating a program of study.

HTH!

Lori

So, is your plan to self-educate? I don't know of any institution that will give you credit for homeschooled college courses (grin), but you might find a program that will give you the opportunity to test-out of some credits.

That's what I'm hoping for; I think it's insane to spent the money for basic mathematics when I could study at home and test into a higher level when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Check with the university you plan to enroll in eventually and find out what their CLEP/DSST policy is. At our local schools, many of the general education requirements can fulfilled with CLEP. Some upper-division courses are available in DSST.

CLEP tests are 90 minutes long - and, except for optional essay exams, they are multiple choice. (Some math questions are fill in the blank, but for the most part, it's multiple choice.)

For inspiration, see this link from a person who got his Bachelor's degree in 9 months using (primarily) CLEP and DSST exams:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-thomas-edison-charter-oak-specific/7981-0-bs-under-9-months-i.html

Sandra

Many schools that offer adult degree completion programs will give students Credit for Prior Learning (CPL). Students have to document and create a portfolio about what they have learned through life experiences and then are given college credit for it. How much credit depends on what you know and how much it costs depends on each school but it is definitely cheaper than regular tuition. The example I heard given was that a student in my institution's adult program who is a plumber and obtaining a business degree could do a CPL detailing the experiences as a plumber and showing how it relates to the business degree.