Menu

Book A Week in 2009 * Week 27 Book 28 *

Thursday started Week 27 in the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and should have you starting book # 28. The year is half over and we are halfway towards our goal of reading 52 books for the year. You all are doing a fantastic job. :)

You may post your reviews, thoughts, reactions to the books you've read here or on the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Blog.

Happy Reading!

I'm most of the way through a trilogy by Fletcher Anthony about a group of Javanese people moving down to Australia. Obviously inspired by 'Clan of the Cave Bear,' though fortunately without the smooch scenes. It's not that good really, but good enough that I keep reading. Next on the list is probably going to be "Lawns to Lunch." We also discovered a lovely children's author with beautiful books for tots who don't like more than a sentence per page, Frank Asch. I've just started borrowing picture books from the library now that dd seems able to be trusted with other people's books. She won't sit and listen, but the baby will so at least someone is getting something out of it, lol.

:)

Rosie

I am on Book # 31 already. Wahoo! I thought for sure I would be horribly behind at this point.

Anyway, I have been remiss in posting all of my books, so here are the recent ones.

Book #28-- Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen. A fun fluff mystery book.

Book #29--Poetic Knowledge by James Taylor. This book convicted me on how we have fallen away from poetry reading, Shakespeare, etc. this year.

Book #30--Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Patillo. Not the best written book but I loved the storyline.

My next book is Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan.

I'm really going to have to read one of Charlaine Harris's books. They look good.

Currently I'm reading book one and book two in the Mistress of Beasts Saga - Wizard's Secrets and Chasing Demons by R.L. Geerdes. Just finished book one and will be starting book 2. Very good so far. She had asked if I would review Chasing Demons and when I mentioned hadn't read Wizard's Secret yet, she very kindly sent me both.

Running list:

The Bell at Sealey Head

Alphabet of Thorn

Od Magic

In the Forests of Serre

Coffe, Tea, and Me

The Tower at Stony Wood

Music of the Dolphin

My Blue Castle

The Eye of the Heron

Fools Run

Learning to Bow

Mansfield Park

What Shamu Taught Me About Love and Marriage

A Wind in Cairo

Silver Pigs

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Chosen

Dealing with Dragons

Don't Shoot the Dog

A Wind in Cairo

Silver Pigs

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The Chosen

Dealing with Dragons

Don't Shoot the Dog

Most recently:

Boy

Going Solo

Gaudy Night

Wild Magic

Sheiks and Adders

(and all our Berenstein Bear books)

Anyone who wishes they could send their children to an early 20th centuray English boarding school might want to read this. I've read enough literature not to be surprised at any of it. Dahl isn't the first author to be traumatized. No wonder they could conquer the world without a quam.

Going Solo was a bit more interesting because I have children the same age and as I read it, I wondered how my own would have fared in similar circumstances.

Guady Night is an old favourite.

Wild Magic was, as my youngest warned me, young. I can see why my nephew gave it to me to read, though. I am honoured that he was reminded of me when he read this book. Not great literature but it definately goes on my comforts/escape list.

Classic well-educated detective story with a touch of improbability drive, like most Michael Innes mysteries. Good escape.

And I've been minding my nephew, hence the Berenstein Bear books. For some unknown reason, these books appeal to three year olds.

I love vacation.

-Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass

Guest Virginia Dawn

Now I'm reading The Botany of Desire by Michael Pollan. I'm not enjoying it as much as some of his others. All the rhapsodizing about plant sex (metaphorical and real) is slightly boring. The history about certain plants is interesting though. Who knew that apples were so complicated?