Menu

What have you used for high school literature study?

There are always the on-line resources such as Sparknotes and PinkMonkey which have anaylsis, essay topics and quizes. They are quick and useful resources that I turn to both when planning and when in the midst of a book.

What I have liked best for teaching how to do literary analysis is the Well Educated Mind which explains how to read and start thinking about different genres, including fiction, drama, poetry, biography, and history, and has specific tasks to do while reading each. It isn't laid out as a work book or check list, so it takes a little effort to read it and decide how to implement it within your homeschool. The kinds of exercises your ds would do would be to summarize each chapter while reading, then answer or discuss the general questions she has. The essay topics could come from that or from the deeper level of questions. The steps described can be used for great books and regular ol' books, it is just a smart way to tackle any serious reading.

but I think I'd just get lazy and not do a good job.

Ahh, there's the rub! In my ideal homeschool world we'd be doing the WEM with each and every book, spending endless hours in deep discussion and comparing our notes. But that isn't the reality at all, and good thing too as we would likely burn out and not enjoy all the reading if we had to break down each and every work.

To counter my own lazy (and over scheduled) tendencies, I try to be conscientious about analyzing a few books each year, going in deep and expecting an essay, but it not with every book. I think it is an exercise that starts becoming second nature, though, that after following the WEM recommendations carefully with 2 or 3 books you automatically start looking for repeated images, start thinking of a character's development, recognize exposition and the plot climax. The more practice you have, the more automatic it becomes.

You sing in a choir, yes? Think of how you listen differently to music because you know how to listen for harmonies and rhythm, and you likely do it without being conscious of it or having it explained to you. You didn't get this way by analyzing hundreds of works of music, but by being in rehearsal once a week or so, and listening to recordings of music you are working on. A similar deeper understanding of literature will happen slowly but surely with your children as they read and discuss works using the methods that are laid out in the WEM. You have to trust that it will happen just as it happened for you and music.

Don't know if that makes any sense or not -- I just sort of made it up as I was typing, inspired not doubt by a stack of music awaiting my attention!

A similar deeper understanding of literature will happen slowly but surely with your children as they read and discuss works using the methods that are laid out in the WEM. You have to trust that it will happen just as it happened for you and music.

Don't know if that makes any sense or not -- I just sort of made it up as I was typing, inspired not doubt by a stack of music awaiting my attention!

I'll see if I can come up with anything made for me; otherwise, I will do as you suggest. I'd really like my hand held a bit more though....

Laura

I am looking for something that will offer Calvin exercises and essay titles, as well as analysis of the texts.

Thank you

Laura

What have you looked at? There's so much out there. Some things we used at least in part:

Smarr

Glencoe (free online)

LLATL (including poetry)

Progeny Press

Another I like is Lightning Literature. I haven't seen their high school, but their middle school includes poetry & short stories, novels, literature analysis, and a writing component. Although I'm sure we'll just use the literature in MFW when youngest gets to high school.

I felt the same Laura- if I didn't have a program I would not do it properly, even though it's probably quite doable.

I decided to try LLATL Gold for my dd15 and so far, so good. There are U.S and British books- dd wanted to do the U.S. one first. LLATL in the lower years has a reputation for being light, but at this level, I think it's great. At least, it's getting done and in a way my dd is actually enjoying and its making her think.

Didn't you use Lightning Literature though? Don't they have higher level books too? I was considering using on of their Shakespeare books at one stage.

We are using Lightning Literature for the first time, and hoping that it will be a great help! :) I haven't had a chance to do an indepth look at it yet, so time will tell.

Watching this thread with interest,

Blessings,

Rita

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/pages/classics/readingguides.html Literature guides are available from nearly every publishing house to be used in reading clubs are a reasonable way to deal with this. I used Van Doren's How to Read A Book as an introduction and we are also using Norton's Literary Analysis Guide with exercises. Frankly, the lack of depth in most home teachers guides renders them of little interest to me. Here are some other publishers links that have online , printable readers guides. I print them , place in a folder on my desk and move through them as we proceed through our books for the term.

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/ Excellent guides that I would actually gladly pay for. They are secular as well.

http://files.harpercollins.com/OMM/Teaching_Guide_Landing_Page.html

http://www.webenglishteacher.com/litmain.html amazing information at all these sites. If these do not provide a guide for the text then I am plumb out of suggestions. I became very disillusioned with commercial guides that were either not secular or facetious in their analysis. I start with these and then fill in with social/political commentary if it is a life changing book such as Fahrenheit 451. It is for me a way of achieving depth without losing what bit of sanity I have left from trying to keep challenging dd. If you are interested I found a beautiful guide to a science fiction favorite by Walter Miller titled,A Canticle for Leibowitz. If you are interested I will post that link as well. The Penguin guides are brief but the questions are great for discussion.

You might look at Christian Light Education or Bob Jones University Press for high school literature programs -- they are guided high school literature programs (though, I believe they use excerpts, not all are complete works). Another option is an online literature course -- The Potter's School, or Oak Meadow, for example.

Literature Programs

Learning Language Arts Through Literature: Gold (American Lit. or British Lit.)

Each is one-semester long. Covers 3 novels, 10 short stories, plus poetry and essays. Self-guided lessons with teaching text/info and exercises; some essay instruction and prompts; list of literary terms (described in the teaching text/info); answers.

Windows on the World

One semester long. Teaches annotation and how to write a literary analysis essay; focus is on 6 short stories, plus a few poems. Includes exercises, plus some writing assignments.

Lightning Literature & Composition

One-semester long high school courses on choice of American Lit; British Lit; World Lit; Shakespeare; etc. No exercises, but some discussion questions, plus essay writing assignments.

Literature Guides

Garlic Press publishers

Individual lit. guides, each for a specific title. Background author/time period info; additional resources ideas; detailed chapter summaries; lots of discussion questions; literary element teaching info; just a few exercise ideas; quite a few writing assignment ideas.

Portals to Literature

Individual lit. guides, each for a specific title. Designed for classroom use, but can be adapted. Background author/time period info; discussion questions; lots of exercises and writing assignment ideas.

Glencoe (free online lit. guides)

Individual lit. guides, each for a specific title. Designed for classroom use, but can be adapted. Background author/time period info; additional resource ideas; discussion questions; some exercise worksheets; some writing assignment ideas.

Sparknotes (free online lit. guides)

Individual lit. guides, each for a specific title. Considerable background author/time period info; lots of symbolism/motif/theme info; character analyses; no exercises; just a few writing assignment ideas.

The Great Books

Individual lit. guides, each for a specific title. Background author/time period info; guided discussion (questions with detailed answers), focused on Christian worldview, with some Scripture references; no exercises; just a few writing assignment prompts; short "summing up" essay on the work at the end of the guide.

Progeny Press

Individual lit. guides, each for a specific title. Background author/time period info; a little vocabulary work; some comprehension questions; a number of discussion questions; a little teaching info on literary elements used in the work; a few writing assignment ideas.

What We Do for High School Lit:

We pick which lit. to cover from a variety of sources (loosely based around history, but also including works the boys esp. want to read, or works that I think are "musts") and then read aloud/discuss together and use a variety of lit. guides, and WEM type of discussion questions.

What we use to narrow down which lit. to read:

- TWTM

- TWEM

- Invitation to the Classics

- Ambleside Online Curriculum book lists

- Sonlight Curriculum book lists

- Notgrass, Omnibus, SMARR, and other curriculum lit. lists

- google searches for lit. lists for various grade levels

- personal interests of our DSs

- books I want us to cover

Here is a list that Cynthia in OK just posted that is on the College Board website on the top 101 classics recommended that high schoolers be familiar with for college:

101 Great Books Recommended for College-Bound Readers

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/plan/boost-your-skills/23628.html

And just from my own digging around, below is a list of classics that seem to be on most high school lit. lists. BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

TRADITIONAL, CLASSIC HIGH SCHOOL LITERATURE

- The Iliad (Homer) -- OR -- The Odyssey (Homer)

- a play by Shakespeare (often 2 plays: a tragedy AND a comedy)

- Pride and Prejudice (Austen)

- Frankenstein (Shelley)

- Jane Eyre -- OR -- Wuthering Heights (Bronte)

- The Scarlet Letter (Hawthorne)

- a short story by Edgar Allen Poe

- Moby Dick -- OR -- Billy Budd -- OR -- Bartleby the Scrivner (Melville)

- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

- Great Expectations (Dickens)

- Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)

- The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Twain)

- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Twain)

- Treasure Island (Stevenson)

- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Stevenson)

- The Red Badge of Courage (Crane)

- Call of the Wild (London)

- All Quiet on the Western Front (Remarque)

- The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)

- Brave New World (Huxley)

- Animal Farm (Orwell)

- 1984 (Orwell)

- Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)

- Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)

- The Old Man and the Sea (Hemingway)

- To Kill A Mockingbird (Lee)

- The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck)

- The Diary of Anne Frank (Frank)

- Lord of the Flies (Goldman)

- Death of a Salesman (Miller)

- Things Fall Apart (Achebe)

- Farenheit 451 (Bradbury)

Other very worthwhile literature:

- Cry the Beloved Country (Paten)

- A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller)

- Les Miserables (Hugo)

- Sophie's World

- Till We Have Faces (Lewis)

- The Screwtape Letters (Lewis)

- The Man Who Was Thursday (Chesterton)

Wow! Thank you Lori.

I've used LL for middle school but they seem a bit light. What do you think of the high school programmes? I was thinking of Shakespeare Comedies and Early/Mid 19th Century British Lit.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Wow! Thank you Lori.

I've used LL for middle school but they seem a bit light. What do you think of the high school programmes? I was thinking of Shakespeare Comedies and Early/Mid 19th Century British Lit.

Laura

Hi Laura,

I haven't used the high school LL programs yet; I *was* planning on using the 2 American Lit guides this coming year, but changed my mind -- I think we would only end up using half the books for each semester (because I'm creating our own lit. list), and the cost of buying the 2 programs for $48+shipping+book costs (which comes out to over $12 per "guide" per book) just for a total of 4 books didn't justify it to me. Yes, the Progeny Press guides are more per guide ($15+) -- BUT they are also have a lot more material geared in the way in which *we've* been doing literature. The LL seems much more suited to disciplined, self-motivated, older high school students, and we aren't "there" yet. :) Maybe we'll do the Shakespeare LL guides in the following year...

We'll be using a mix of guides this year, which worked really well for us last year -- often using two guides for one work (esp. if one of those guides is the free online Sparknotes!):

- Progeny Press

- The Great Books

- Garlic Press publishers (challenger level)

- Sparknotes

- LLATL: Gold: Amer. Lit

- possibly Excellence in Literature: Amer. Lit (guide put out by IEW; focus is on writing)

re: you doing Shakespeare LL next year

Have you looked over the sample lessons online at the Hewitt Homeschooling website for the LL Shakespeake programs? That should give you a good idea of what to expect:

- Tragedies & Sonnets sample lesson: http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/LL%20Shake%20Trag.pdf

- Comedies & Sonnets sample lesson: http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/pdfs/LL%20Shake%20Com.pdf

Another 2 options that we used this past year for Shakespeare (we did Macbeth) and really liked:

- Brightest Invention of Heaven (Leithart)

High school/college level Christian guide to 6 Shakespeare plays; pretty in-depth analysis of themes through the author's text, review questions (comprehension questions) and thought (discussion) questions for: Hamlet, Macbeth, Taming of the Shrew, Much Ado About Nothing, Henry V, Julius Caesar.

- Parallel Text Shakespeare

Middle school/high school guides to individual plays, each with 2 or 4 components. Available for: Hamlet; Julius Caesar; King Lear; Macbeth; Merchant of Venice; Midsummer Night’s Dream; Othello; Romeo & Juliet; Taming of the Shrew. Written for classroom use, but very easily adapted to homeschool use. The four components include:

1. Text = the entire play with original text on one page and modern translation on facing page

2. Teacher Guide = pre-reading ideas; act summaries; vocabulary list and quiz; discussion questions; literary elements described and pointed out; writing prompt ideas (short assignments); essay ideas (longer writing assignments)

3. Student Workbook = scene by scene guide with background info; pre-reading ideas; comprehension questions; questions to help think about (synthesize/analyze) what was read; some exercises;

4. Teacher Workbook = same as student workbook, with answers

After getting about 1/3rd into the play, we no longer really needed the modern translation, so while the Text was nice, we didn't use a lot of it; we ended up using a lot of the Teacher Guide and the Student Workbook; didn't really use the Teacher Workbook (the answers were usually pretty obvious).

see it at Rainbow Resource: http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1247318828-124971&subject=6&category=1471

Finally, Katia on this board has used some of the high school LL programs and found them to be meaty and very useful for her high schoolers. And based on Katia's recommendations, you might want to look at the SMARR program to see if it is a more scheduled program with exercises. Check out these very helpful past posts by Katia on LL:

- in which Katia describes what the high school LL programs are like:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92020&highlight=LL+american+Lit

- in which Katia compares LL and LLATL:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82332&highlight=LL+american+Lit

- more detail from Katia comparing LL and LLATL:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7166&highlight=LL+american+Lit

- in which Katia discusses the lack of schedule for LL, and also enthuses about SMARR:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40090&highlight=LL+american+Lit

- in which Liza Q and Katia compare LL and SMARR:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34258&highlight=LL+american+Lit

Edited by Lori D.
added info

I found a beautiful guide to a science fiction favorite by Walter Miller titled,A Canticle for Leibowitz. If you are interested I will post that link as well.

WHERE is this guide for Canticle for Leibowitz??!? I would LOVE to see this! :001_tt1: Thanks in advance!!

We just did this book last year, and all I could find was an article on Wikipedia. Not even any guides for SALE! I am seriously considering writing my own guide for this wonderful book (though, as a Christian, it would not be from a secular point of view).

I am looking for something that will offer Calvin exercises and essay titles, as well as analysis of the texts.

Thank you

Laura

Shmoop is a new "alternative" to Sparknotes. What little I've read from it, I like it better. A neat thing the literature guides offer-a maturity rating. For example, a book might get a PG-13 rating for a rape scene. Then it will cover why they gave the rating and how extreme the material is.

Check it out-

http://www.shmoop.com

WHERE is this guide for Canticle for Leibowitz??!? I would LOVE to see this! :001_tt1: Thanks in advance!! Oh I am pleased as can be to share it as I think this is a great guide to a great book.

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/science_fiction/canticle.html'>http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/science_fiction/canticle.html'>http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/science_fiction/canticle.html'>http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/science_fiction/canticle.html

We just did this book last year, and all I could find was an article on Wikipedia. Not even any guides for SALE! I am seriously considering writing my own guide for this wonderful book (though, as a Christian, it would not be from a secular point of view).

Due to the nature of the book it cannot be discussed in a purely secular fashion nor should it be. I find it inappropriate when a Christian pov is not expressed by the author and we impose that upon the text when it was not there to begin with. KWIM? As it happens I am a catholic and love to read fiction by catholic authors but superimposing my beliefs on a text when there was no intent by the author to express that point of view is where I part ways with many discussion guides. I hope you enjoy the discussion guide as much as I did. Such a great book!!!

http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/science_fiction/canticle.html

Edited by elizabeth
link in wrong place...

You are helping me to form my ideas. I think the problem that I am hitting is a cultural difference. When I read the LL sample for Twelfth Night, I'm left thinking: is that it? The reason is (correct me if I am wrong) that US high school expects you to read and analyse very many books. The UK habit is quite different.

For the first two years of my high school English course, I think I studied Wuthering Heights, The Mill on the Floss and a Shakespeare, plus maybe one other text. We studied them in great detail, working on particular scenes as well as the whole work.

For the years from age 16 to 18 I think we did Measure for Measure plus (more) 19th century British literature. As far as I remember, this was Keats and Tennyson, plus The Importance of Being Earnest and Our Mutual Friend. Any other books that we read were background reading for the central texts.

So I'm not expecting to study more than two texts a year with Calvin, but each will be in great depth. LL doesn't look like the thing in this situation. I looked at Smarr, but the world view doesn't sit comfortably with me.

I've considered UK resources, but they are very much tied to the national curriculum, and the books that I want to do are not included. I'll look through the other links that you kindly laid out for me.

Many thanks

Laura

You are helping me to form my ideas. I think the problem that I am hitting is a cultural difference. When I read the LL sample for Twelfth Night, I'm left thinking: is that it? ... We studied [just a few works] in great detail, working on particular scenes as well as the whole work.... So I'm not expecting to study more than two texts a year with Calvin, but each will be in great depth.

This is where I find using multiple guides helpful. I know it would drive other people batty, but as much as I could last year, we would read the work aloud together, discussing as we came across something, and then after reading together, we would usually go over TWO different guides -- often a Progeny Press and Sparknotes. I think it also helps that my background is in both film and lit. analysis, so whatever we read in the guide is more of a springboard for me to launch us into still more or deeper discussion. I also find it helpful to keep reviewing literary elements throughout the year so we are more apt to see those elements at work supporting themes that either the lit. guides pointed out, or ones we saw for ourselves.

My main problem is *limiting* our lit. so we CAN go deep -- too much great lit. not enough years of high school! :tongue_smilie: BEST of luck, Laura! Warmly, Lori

This is where I find using multiple guides helpful. I know it would drive other people batty, but as much as I could last year, we would read the work aloud together, discussing as we came across something, and then after reading together, we would usually go over TWO different guides -- often a Progeny Press and Sparknotes. I think it also helps that my background is in both film and lit. analysis, so whatever we read in the guide is more of a springboard for me to launch us into still more or deeper discussion. I also find it helpful to keep reviewing literary elements throughout the year so we are more apt to see those elements at work supporting themes that either the lit. guides pointed out, or ones we saw for ourselves.

My main problem is *limiting* our lit. so we CAN go deep -- too much great lit. not enough years of high school! :tongue_smilie: BEST of luck, Laura! Warmly, Lori[/quote]

Oh my I thought I was the only one using 2 or more guides for one book...we should start up a support group or something!!!Thanks for all your lists as well. It is so very hard to eliminate books from our too heavy roster but it forces me as a parent to really assess what shaped my values and which are the most important for us to really share and discuss together. I have always loved A Canticle for Leibowitz . I did recently discover a post modern author that you might also enjoy. Stewart O Nan's ,A Prayer For the Dying is a wonderful story set in the Civil War era about mercy and faith in the face of devastating loss. It is a bit creepy in the fashion of Miller's Canticle. When dd is older I do plan on reading The Road by Mccarthy as well. Too many books, too little time . Nothing makes me happier than stacks of books competing for my time and attention!

I think the problem that I am hitting is a cultural difference. When I read the LL sample for Twelfth Night, I'm left thinking: is that it? The reason is (correct me if I am wrong) that US high school expects you to read and analyse very many books. The UK habit is quite different.

Actually, in Minnesota it is also very common to only study 2-4 pieces of literature per year.

It isn't a question of deep or shallow.

You can either read one piece of literature and use that one piece to study character, setting, tone, genre, irony, and so forth... Or, you can use one piece of literature for character because it is particularly suited to character analysis. Then you can move on to another piece of literature to study irony, and maybe it will be of a different genre, too.

I think public schools here limit the number of pieces simply as a convenience, because it's not easy to move all students through multiple works in a limited amount of time.

But if you really like the idea of exploring one piece, then a guide such as Progeny Press might suit you better. Most of those types of studies suggest only 4 guides per year.

Julie

It isn't a question of deep or shallow.

You can either read one piece of literature and use that one piece to study character, setting, tone, genre, irony, and so forth... Or, you can use one piece of literature for character because it is particularly suited to character analysis. Then you can move on to another piece of literature to study irony, and maybe it will be of a different genre, too.

Thank you

Laura

Laura,

I am new to homeschooling HS myself (oldest is about to start 9th) and we are currently using Literary Lessons fro Lord of the Rings (which is a wonderful way to study literature). It has optional unit studies which branch out to other literary works.

Beyond this I am intrigued by the lit studies at Janice Campbell's Everyday Education site.

http://www.everyday-education.com/literature/index.shtml

I have not used these but am very interested in learning more about them. They seem a bit like Lightning Literature but with more substance. We used Lightning Lit before and I thought it somewhat light. One of the things I liked about the Intro to Lit course is that they read Jane Eyre, my favorite book of all time. They also include Shakespeare, although we will probably always make time for additional Shakespeare since I'm willing to travel to performances.

My daughter is going into a math/science field so although I want to do a good job with literature I don't want it to come at the expense of math or science.

Hope this has been helpful.

Dana

I just purchased Windows to the World, an intro to lit analysis. It looks really good and was highly recommended by a writing teacher who tutors locally. It can be used to supplement a course taken by the student or be a full fledged course in itself. I am really excited to start.

Laura,

I am new to homeschooling HS myself (oldest is about to start 9th) and we are currently using Literary Lessons fro Lord of the Rings (which is a wonderful way to study literature). It has optional unit studies which branch out to other literary works.

Beyond this I am intrigued by the lit studies at Janice Campbell's Everyday Education site.

http://www.everyday-education.com/literature/index.shtml

I have not used these but am very interested in learning more about them. They seem a bit like Lightning Literature but with more substance. We used Lightning Lit before and I thought it somewhat light. One of the things I liked about the Intro to Lit course is that they read Jane Eyre, my favorite book of all time. They also include Shakespeare, although we will probably always make time for additional Shakespeare since I'm willing to travel to performances.

My daughter is going into a math/science field so although I want to do a good job with literature I don't want it to come at the expense of math or science.

Hope this has been helpful.

Dana

These look great particularly for World literature . Many thanks for sharing this resource. It is challenging to find a thorough course and I appreciate this link. I see no reason to reinvent the wheel if not necessary. This thread has more resources than any person could need and this is a wonderful addition.