Menu

Visiting Vanderbilt and Sewanne 24th and 27th - any special...

JFSinIL

Not particularly academic questions, but the locations are hugely opposite. Vandy is downtown Nashville (I used to work across the street) while Sewanne is small town, over the mountain from Chattanooga (smaller city.) Nashville is 8hr drive from Chicago, add 2 more for Sewanne. If your dc are used to having more of the big city advantages, Vandy would be a better fit for lifestyle.

DS has been to Chicago many times (we are in an outer small city, 45 miles away) and when we took him to DePaul in the city he revolted and made us leave - too urban! I am hoping Vanderbilt is less intensely urban (Nashville isn't Chicago). He has high hopes for Sewanee as he is a nature boy!

I had friends who went to Sewanee-- observations--

There's a lot of drinking on campus. Not much else to do, apparently (except the outdoor stuff and the sports teams). Some of it is the "mock sophisticated" kind--beer is fine, scotch and water is better.

Students dress up for football games, and wear academic robes for class. It's a very "Oxford" atmosphere, and the school has tons of traditions and such.

Also, there's a seminary (Episcopal) on campus--a good friend of ours is Dean. It's theologically middle of the road, if that matters to you.

It IS a lovely campus, and the academic standards are very, very high. The honor code is enforced by the students, as well as by the admin, which I think is quite cool.

We visited Vanderbilt this past year in our round of college introductions. My son is not going there but it was high on his list because:

- Nashville (Vandy is about 1 or 2 miles up the road) is a nicely sized, cosmopolitan, friendly city. If you like music (not just country) then WOW! live music darn near all the time. And lots of it.

-The Freshman community is brand new and gorgeous. Frosh cross a foot-bridge to the main campus.

- The campus itself is in very good to excellent condition indicating that alumni are doing well.

- The presence of the grad schools on campus for the possibilty of doing upper level course work as a junior or senior.

- Great sized class (around 1600)- not too big so you get lost - not too small so you get pegged.

- Two interesting new intersections of major courses of studies that really appealed to my son (in the humanities)

- Good study abroad - flexible enough - a little canned.

- Standard core (loose, that is) curriculum. And it appeared standard advising.

- Good grad school placement. Better weather than the NE, S or SW.

- Greek emphasis (this did NOT appeal to me with all incumbent drinking and social hierarchy emphasis - and I was Greek myself)

- Great looking girls.

- Diverse student opinions without the emphasis on finger in your eye liberalism. (Alright that's really MY perspective)

Good luck!

i attended both at different times in my life :) some assorted comments:

both are greek-heavy, both are drinking schools

sewanee has a heavy emphasis on faculty availability and faculty friendships with students- dinner at houses, etc. vandy profs tend to be much more distant.

no grad students teaching at sewanee, many at vandy. vandy is better-known outside of the south. sewanee is in the middle of nowhere- but only an hour and a half out of nashville and about 45m? out of chatanooga. chatanooga has a neat bohemian vibe- a touch of asheville- whereas nashville is nashville.

sewanee has new stable complex- amazing!

both have pretty southern girls :)

FWIW

-sarah