Menu

Fiber - fruit or grains best source?

I believe there are two types of fiber, soluble and insoluble. Most fruits provide insoluble and grains insoluble, and I think you want a balance. I find that prunes (even one a day), sweet potatoes and blueberries (dried, fresh, frozen are all okay) are particularly helpful, as well as a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Do make sure the person drinks extra water, this alone can be the problem with regularity. Let me reiterate that blueberries work very well and don't feel like punishment (although honestly prunes have a bad rap, and you can always get the flavored ones).

And if it is a small child, I would strongly urge you, based on my own past experience, to make sure your child is getting enough fat and liquid in his/her diet -- it's not so much a case of a fiber issue with little kids, who in fact don't benefit from a large amount of fiber.

I have had problems with regularity for years- up until just a couple of weeks ago when I started eating Activia yogurt. The probiotics in that stuff are amazing!!!!!!!! My kids love smoothies with yogurt. I mix the following in a blender: Activia (light vanilla- has less fat and more fiber), a little milk, frozen blueberries and raspberries, a little honey and a few ice cubes if you like it more like ice cream. They LOVE it! I have popsicle molds and pour the leftover smoothie in the molds for quick, healthy treats later! :001_smile:

I agree. Constipation can also be a result of too little water and not enough exercise.

I like high-fiber cereals, lots of fresh fruit throughout the day and ground flax seed in my baked goods, yogurt, smoothies and oatmeal.

Cold prunes are also pretty good.

If weight is not an issue, apple juice is quite the stool motivator. My husband, the lean mean machine, drinks a couple of glasses of apple juice punch and it works very well for him. I would get rounder by the minute drinking that much juice.

Don't try this with children. Unless I have the weirdest body system in the world, a cup of hot, black coffee quickly relieves any pending "irregularity."

The non-instant oatmeal works very well. I enjoy preparing it like this:

1/3 cup non-instant oatmeal

1/8 to 1/4 cup dried blueberries

1 Tablespoon ground flax

1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)

Mix all ingredients together.

Cook via your preferred method -- either stovetop over low heat, or in a large bowl for multiple microwave sessions. (Stovetop is easier, frankly.)

When oatmeal is cooked, stir in from 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon high-quality omega-3 fish oil.

[serves one]

Enjoy ! No additional sweetener is needed because of the blueberries.

We have always eaten tons of fresh produce, brown rice, rolled oats, etc. but I will tell you the one thing that has made a huge difference for my family is making our own bread from freshly milled flour. I never thought I'd be "one of those ladies," you know, the ones who order wheat by the five-gallon bucket and grind it themselves. In fact, what sold me on the idea was going away with some friends for several days and eating their bread. It made that much of a difference in the bathroom, IYKWIM.

The only thing that helps keep me regular is probiotics. I have recently fermented some veggies, and this week has been the best ever! I recommend fermented foods, especially veggies. "Nourishing Traditions" has many recipes. This may sound wierd, but good bacteria aids digestion like no other.