Menu

Can thyroid issues cause menstrual cycles to be irregular?

If you've had hypothyroidism, what symptoms did you have? Thanks.

Yes it has messed up my cycle when my levels are off. One time it was 3 months before I got my period and another time I had it very heavily for 13 weeks staight. Symptoms: Weight gain, exhaustion, muscle cramps, hair falls out, constipation, fast heart beat, depression, skin conditions, with sever hypo you can be infertile until it is back under control.

FTR I had severe hypothyroid that took 3 years to get under control at one point.

Edited by Momto4kids
typo

My biggest one was that I was exhausted. I felt like I hadn't slept at all when I woke up in the morning. I went to the doctor because I thought there was something huge wrong with me.

Other common symptoms are: hair loss, being cold, confusion, irregular menstrual cycles, miscarriages, irritability/mood swings. And if you are hypothyroid, it's really really important to get your levels checked as soon as you get pg and half-way through because your meds may need to be adjusted (and, like I said, low levels can cause you to m/c or stillbirth).

Lots of things can cause your cycle to be off. But, yes, I have found my cycle to be affected when my thyroid hormone levels are off.

When I'm getting too much synthroid (hyperthyroid) my cycles are lighter, shorter, and , often, closer together.

When I am not getting enough synthroid (hypothyroid) my cycles are heavier. Noticeably heavier.

I have no thyroid, so if I'm not getting enough synthroid I'll have the symptoms of hypothyroidism: feeling cold all the time, and a general feeling of tiredness are the most noticeable. People have said that weight gain is a sign, but not necessarily. I've actually lost weight while being hypo!

The trouble is that sometimes the symptoms come on so gradually you don't notice them. but when they adjust my dose to what it needs to be, I start feeling better and realize, "Oh yeah! THIS is what I'm supposed to feel like. I was really tired!" :)

If you're feeling poorly and are concerned, you should have it checked out.

Yes, to the point where you don't ovulate.

sometimes I would completely miss a month or worse..I would have it, then two weeks later have it again!

like another poster said - underactive means longer, heavier, and less frequent; overactive means lighter, shorter, and more frequent

Your thyroid controls so many things I was completely surprised. Your monthly cycles all the way to hair loss/dullness. Then there's the exhaustion and loss of libido. I was diagnosed 6mo. after giving birth to my oldest. I thought it was just "baby blues" and post natal exhaustion then had my levels checked. Your levels change all the time, that's why your doctor has you get lab work 2-4 times a year to make sure you are on the right dosage. It's a simple blood test, no time at all and it's a quick response. If you question anything, have your levels checked. Good luck and good health.

It made mine all wonky. :) I have always been regular at 33-36 days. When I was hypothyroid, I had some all the way down to 25 and then the next month would be 38.

Hypothyroid symptoms--hair loss, constipation (this is my biggest signal), weight gain, lethargic, anxiety and depression, sleeplessness (sounds strange with the lethargy, but I get panic attacks over STUPID stuff and then can't sleep even though I'm exhausted) my cycles are really only noticibly affected after months of being hypo, very dry skin (last time, my arms were seriously scaly...not a typical place for me to be dry and this was in May, when I don't usually have this problem.)

Hyperthyroid symptoms--I get this when my medication needs to be lowered. Diarrhea, heart palpitations, weight loss, anxiety, sleeplessness