Menu

Don't Leave Home Without These Books...

At the end of every school year we give our kids some nice quality, hardcover books to start them in building their own libraries. Usually 3, or sometimes more in a set (like The Chronicles of Narnia, or the Hobbit and LoTR). We usually buy fiction, but a non-fiction here or there won't hurt.

So, what literature would you want to make sure your kids won't leave home (graduate) without?

eta: these are what we've given so far to 7th gr. ds, 4th gr. dd, & K dd

A Bad Beginning (Lemony Snicket #1)

The Reptile Room (Lemony Snicket #2) The Hobbit The Lord of the Rings The Chronicless of Narnia At the Back of the North Wind (MacDonald) The Princess and the Goblin (MacDonald) Five Children and It Watership Down Tales of Beedle the Bard In Freedom's Cause (Henty) Tales from the Perilous Realm (Tolkien)

Black Beauty Light Princess (MacDonald) Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats Wind in the Willows Little House in the Big Woods Little House on the Prairie Anne of Green Gables (100th anniv. Ed.) A Little Princess Betsy & Tacy Treasury

A Hole is to Dig

(what's with the font?)

Edited by Susan in TN

The Bible

Night by Elie Weisel

Chronicles of Narnia

Pride and Prejudice

The Grapes of Wrath (or anything by Steinbeck)

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn

Trumpet of the Swan, Charlotte's Web, and Stuart Little

... gosh, I feel like I could go on and on... I'll save some for the rest of you. ;)

I think no child should go off to college without reading:

"1984" - Orwell

"Brave New World" - Huxley

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" - Adams

"Atlas Shrugged" - Rand

"Schindler's List" - Keneally

"Band of Brothers" Ambrose

Plato's "Republic" - hmm can't recall the editor/translation

Some tough reading there but nothing like the steady feed of nihilistic, life is worthless/meaningless/absurd that your child would get in advanced Lit classes at your local high school.

I'm just sayin'

Edited by shiloh
editing is a good thing

The Little White Horse (Elizabeth Goudge), The Chestry Oak (Kate Seredy), and Understood Betsy (Dorothy Canfield). Everything else follows these three. :-)

Daddy Longlegs, Dear Enemy (do not EVER watch the movie Daddy Longlegs. Please.)

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

The Borrowers (series, Mary Norton)

101 Dalmations (Dody Smith, NOT Disney)

Lassie Come-Home

All-of-a-Kind Family (series, Sidney Taylor)

Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys; Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom

"1984" - Orwell

"Atlas Shrugged" - Rand

Some tough reading there but nothing like the steady feed of nihilistic, life is worthless/meaningless/absurd that your child would get in advanced Lit classes at your local high school.

I'm just sayin'

Great list, Shiloh!

Welcome!

In addition to the above titles I also liked:

Lord of the Flies

The Little Prince

Animal Farm

Farewell to Arms and other Hemingway works

At least one story of magical realism from Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"1984" - Orwell

"Atlas Shrugged" - Rand

I'm just sayin'

I LOVE Brave New World. See it coming to fruition every day though....

What an awesome idea. I think I may have to borrow your tradition.

Please do...I'm sure I borrowed it from someone else here at one time or another :). My oldest proudly arranges and displays his "library" in his room. It CAN get a little pricey, but it's money well spent, imo.

For our kids' birthdays, we do a theme for 3-5 books. We started this with our older ds's 11th birthday, and his theme was Mom & Dad's very favorite childhood books -- Escape from Warsaw (Ian Serrailler, siblings escape the Nazis), Johnny Tremain, The Book of Three (Lloyd Alexander, #1 of Prydain Chronicles). His 12th birthday, I think it was adventure & exploration stories, like The Sign of the Beaver.

Last winter ds13 received an intro to classic science fiction & fantasy -- Asimov's I, Robot (with the Will Smith cover ;) ), an Arthur C. Clarke (Time's Eye), an Earthsea book that turned out to need the trilogy first, and Heinlein's Starship Troopers (crossing fingers...). This theme came about because he reads a lot of (current) fantasy & sees lots of (modern) sci-fi.

For his 9th birthday, ds9 received his first themed books gift. The theme was childhood not-to-be-missed books -- Heidi (huge hit once he got around to reading it!), the first Bobssey Twins book, a one-volume Hardy Boys #1 & #2, and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

The boys are getting used to the idea, though they don't always know what to think about particular books ("just read the first 2 chapters...").

For our kids' birthdays, we do a theme for 3-5 books. We started this with our older ds's 11th birthday, and his theme was Mom & Dad's very favorite childhood books -- Escape from Warsaw (Ian Serrailler, siblings escape the Nazis), Johnny Tremain, The Book of Three (Lloyd Alexander, #1 of Prydain Chronicles). His 12th birthday, I think it was adventure & exploration stories, like The Sign of the Beaver.

Last winter ds13 received an intro to classic science fiction & fantasy -- Asimov's I, Robot (with the Will Smith cover ;) ), an Arthur C. Clarke (Time's Eye), an Earthsea book that turned out to need the trilogy first, and Heinlein's Starship Troopers (crossing fingers...). This theme came about because he reads a lot of (current) fantasy & sees lots of (modern) sci-fi.

For his 9th birthday, ds9 received his first themed books gift. The theme was childhood not-to-be-missed books -- Heidi (huge hit once he got around to reading it!), the first Bobssey Twins book, a one-volume Hardy Boys #1 & #2, and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

The boys are getting used to the idea, though they don't always know what to think about particular books ("just read the first 2 chapters...").

This is wonderful, too! I love this idea!

"The Egypt Game" and "Black and Blue Magic" and "The Red Velvet Room" all by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

"The Diamond in the Window" by Langdon (my favorite book until I read LOTR)

"The Swiss Family Robinson"

"Black Ships Before Troy" and "The Wanderings of Odysseus"

"Johnny Tremain"

"Amos Fortune, Free Man"

"Number the Stars"

The Mad Scientists' Club

Hercules (out of print book by Hardie Gramatky, author of Little Toot) - we buy old copies, I have six on the shelf at the moment, so there's one to stay at our house, one for each kid and two more. Huge family favorite, and I've even swapped emails with the author's daughter. That totally made my day.

Various classic picture books like Make Way for Ducklings, The Little Red Caboose, Sector 7, The Secret Knowledge of Grownups.

Homer Price

Maybe

The Way Things Work

A really lush Atlas

A how to do basic home repairs book (this was one of the first newlywed items we bought)

A basic cookbook that you'd worked through with them (or a binder with family recipes)

• 2 years later...

"1984" - Orwell

"Atlas Shrugged" - Rand

I'm just sayin'

I just revisited this list and I am adding "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It's a dystopian masterpiece.

"1984" - Orwell

"Atlas Shrugged" - Rand

I'm just sayin'

I love your list.