Menu

Do they HAVE to start K at 5?

Truely, is this a must do? I keep thinking what a mistake it was for my oldest to start then (June bday). My second guy didn't need it (Nov bday). I just want to start 'right' this time. This one and the next are so close in age (13mos apart April and May bdays) I would rather wait and have them work together.

I will admit I would rather not do K (or any other grade) 2 yrs in a row. I was thinking doing basic calendar, etc., Core Knowledge PreK with the activity bks, and Bearing Away with both this year then start McRuffy K with both next year/January 2010. My 5yr old has no interest in learning to read though he loves to look at books.

What do ya'll think. It is really necessary to start academics now?

Nope! My youngest dd just turned 5 yo yesterday and I plan on only working on reading for the next year. From a ps perspective, K is for learning how to walk in a single file line, learn your numbers and letters, learn to be away from home. From a homeschool perspective, do what works best for you and your child. I have a friend with five children, one graduated at this point, who said that in her house, K was optional.

I always felt a little odd in school because I was the youngest with an October b-day (in CA, you have until Dec. 1st) so I was 4yo going into K. There were some things I wish I could've repeated. I also know several adults who had June/July/August birthdays who wish that their parents would've held them back a year.

No, it's not necessary. My 5yo can busily occupy herself creating imaginary worlds, doing art, and burning off calories (seemingly more than she takes in). She picks up a surprising amount listening in to big sis' schooling, but has little interest moving ahead on her own. We'll probably do some formal work on reading this year, but I have no other plans.

We are using a very laid back K curriculum "Home Education Curriculum: Kindergarten". I think you could easily do it with a 4 and 5 year old! It is not heavy on learning to read but suggests a LOT of books to read to teach concepts. It does go into math and such, but it seems like it might be a nice, casual curriculum that doesn't require a TON of prep time. It would be very simple to teach to both :)

Both of my girls have August birthdays. My oldest started K when she turned 5. Although she did well academically, her relational skills were often behind the rest of her peers. I've often regretted not giving her an extra year before K. When my youngest turned 5, we held her back a year. Although she's only now going into third grade, I have no regrets waiting that extra year. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Best wishes with your decision, I know it's not an easy one.

Ds turned 5 at the end of last summer (aug 28). I made the mistake of starting him on K right away. He was not ready and really wasn't ready at all until after xmas. He turns 6 this summer, and is registered as grade 1 only because of provincial regulations, but will be primarily doing K this coming year, with grade 1 not actually starting until after xmas when he is ready. If he went to ps I would only be putting him in K next year. I really should have held my oldest back before K, instead I am now holding him back to do another year of grade 5 to give his maturity and abilities catch up before proceeding onto to middle school work.

Here's the thing: You can teach your dc to read at any age. There's nothing magic about starting in September after your dc's 5th birthday, not when you're homeschooling.

HOWEVER, the world around us is hung up on the public school system, which is that children who are 5 by a certain date will start kindergarten in the fall, or 6 by a certain date starting first grade in the fall. In my very strong opinion, when it's necessary to put a grade-level label on your dc, it should be the one he would be in if he were going to the school down the street.

This fall, if he were going to the neighborhood public school he'd be in kindergarten, so if anyone asks, of course your ds is "in kindergarten."

It does not mean that you have to begin to teach him anything formally if you don't think he's ready.

Next September, he'd be "in first grade." It has nothing to do with his maturity or his academic ability. It just is.

If you do this, we won't be having a different discussion down the road when he really should be "in 9th grade," but you had held him back when he was "in kindergarten," and now what should you do.

It's a paperwork boondoggle, made less painful if you follow the system *on paper.*

If he's not ready to learn to read, don't teach him. If he is ready, go ahead. Either (learning to read or not), is perfectly fine for K. But, no, especially for a boy, it is VERY common for kids with summer birthdays to wait another year. VERY common. For outside activities, put him with whatever group he fits best with socially.

In our local school system, your son would be the youngest in his class. Most of the kids are closer to six when they start.

From a ps perspective, K is for learning how to walk in a single file line, learn your numbers and letters, learn to be away from home.

This is what I thought too - and remembered from teaching days and from oldest being in public school. Then I began talking to ps parents that have kids going into 1st.

Not so anymore, at least not in our neighborhood ps. The kids going into K should already know their letters and how to count at least to 10. K skills are now Pre-K skills. By the end of K they should be reading --not "Tom the cat sat on Mat the rat." But, Frog and Toad; Red Fish, Blue Fish; Green Eggs and Ham; etc.. They should also be able to add/subtract numbers to 20 - 30 is better; be able to write sentences - up to four for a story w/ correct punctuation/capitalization; they had spelling tests; etc.

I was feeling so good that my littlest was reading SL's first ICRI book, was adding/subtracting to 10; could copy a sentence; narrate a story; could write his alphabet and full name; knew his family phone numbers and address; etc. All this without "formal" teaching him K skills - just letting his ask and do as he wanted to. We had already decided to call this year K-6 so he would be turning 19 when going to college rather than just turning 18 ---we've already done one just turning 18 and prefer older. I plan to actually teach him this year. But, after hearing the "skills" the ps considered K and I consider 1st I knew we were on the right track to hold off another year. I'm not planning to put our kids in ps ---but I do find it interesting to see what they consider grade level skills.

In my opinion there is no reason to start formal academics at 5 --unless you have a 5 compulsory attendance law.

One of my dd's turned 5 in July, then was supposed to be enrolled in K in August because of compulsory attendance laws. She was no where ready, she had only just turned 5, and was still really more of a 4 yo than a 5 yo. That's the year I decided to homeschool, so I kept her at home with me. We had lots of creative play, read good books, lots of arts and crafts, learned a new letter and number each week. That's it. I didn't teach reading or math or anything academic till the next year, about midway thru, when she was more developmentally ready. There's a lot to be said for doing things when children are ready for them as opposed to when ps schedules children to do them. When they're grown, I don't think it it will matter if they went to K at age 5 or started 1st at age 7 instead.

All of mine have summer birthdays. The 2 oldest did a fun 1/2 day private Kindergarten which was more like Mother's Day Out Program and then did public Kindergarten. I'm not advocating public K. Theirs was mostly about behavior rules.

This is my first year to homeschool my now 4th grader and 1st grader. The oldest has told me on several occasions that I made the right decision on not sending her on to 1st so young. She doesn't struggle in school, loves learning, and loves to read.

Waiting a year also allowed me to take it slower on their reading. I tend to push so it was great to know they still had time to learn to read.

I agree with everyone else, lots of playing and reading!

Carolyn

I have 2 boys, one was 6 is May and one will be 5 in Sept.

I did Prek with sonlight last year with both but did OPGTTR with the older along with Sonlight Fun tales readers, Advantage Math K. The younger just listened along and did a fun workbook.

This year I will do Sonlight Core K with both. Use OPGTTR with both at different levels. Advantage math 1 and K. Readers from Sonlight for reading practice.

Sonlight really helps me school closely age children together. I did the same thing with my girls who are 13 months apart. They are now doing Core 5 together but on different grammar (FLL) levels, writing levels(WWE), reading levels (Sonlight), different Math (TT).

Hope this helps!!

Guest lahmeh

The ONLY thing my 5 year old dc did was the online phonics program "Headsprout". We started with CLE 1st grade at 6 1/2 and it has been perfect! In fact much of it was too easy for them. :)

K skills are now Pre-K skills. By the end of K they should be reading --not "Tom the cat sat on Mat the rat." But, Frog and Toad; Red Fish, Blue Fish; Green Eggs and Ham; etc.. They should also be able to add/subtract numbers to 20 - 30 is better; be able to write sentences - up to four for a story w/ correct punctuation/capitalization; they had spelling tests; etc.

If you don't mind my asking -- WHERE do you live??? In the places I have lived in the last ten years this is not true (including where I live now). If this had been the case I would have sent my oldest to Kindergarten. He was a naturally advanced learner and would have been crawling up the walls in the Kindergartens in OUR neighborhoods (current included -- I have been able to sit in on classes). Now, of course, I'm glad to be homeschooling, but it was not really my first plan.

As of last September, in our middle class New England town, first graders are still learning to read. Many can read three-letter short-vowel words upon starting 1st grade, but not all of them can. They are learning to add and subtract without manipulatives for the first time. This was equally true when we lived in a slightly-more-affluent suburb of Boston.

No.

I have 2dc 14mo apart. They are 4 and 3 now (March and June b-days) My oldest is 6yo (Jan b-day) I would love to combine my youngest two dc, but she's actually almost at level with my 6yo as far as reading/phonics go.

However it works out, she will be called a "Kindergartener" in the fall after she turns 5yo. The label is more for church and extracurriculars, to be placed with her age-mates.

You can hold off on kindy this year and just "skip a grade" later on. If you plan on HSing all the way through, or atleast through grade school, I don't think it will hinder academics in the long run.

If you don't mind my asking -- WHERE do you live??? In the places I have lived in the last ten years this is not true (including where I live now). If this had been the case I would have sent my oldest to Kindergarten. He was a naturally advanced learner and would have been crawling up the walls in the Kindergartens in OUR neighborhoods (current included -- I have been able to sit in on classes). Now, of course, I'm glad to be homeschooling, but it was not really my first plan.

As of last September, in our middle class New England town, first graders are still learning to read. Many can read three-letter short-vowel words upon starting 1st grade, but not all of them can. They are learning to add and subtract without manipulatives for the first time. This was equally true when we lived in a slightly-more-affluent suburb of Boston.

I live in a very high performing school district outside of NYC. The expectation around here is that kids need to be reading by the middle of first grade, some are reading in K, but not most.

The local expectation is reading early chapter books(Flat Stanley to Magic Tree House books), adding and subtracting to 20, and writing short complete sentences by the end of first grade. Our schools test at over 90% proficient on the Terra Nova administered at the end of 2nd grade.

Truly, is this a must do? I keep thinking what a mistake it was for my oldest to start then (June bday).

My oldest started K at 6 in the public school, graduated at 18 (almost 19), took a year off for Army Reserves training, graduated from a quality engineering school in exactly 4 years (with scholarships), and is doing well as an adult.

I taught him *no* academics before K. He learned how to read quickly in K and was ahead of his peers for the rest of his schooling (ahead of most kids 2-3 grades above him).

IMHO, kids under 7 are best suited to & best served by learning how to think & how to observe & how to do things in different ways & many other things, besides abstract symbols that stand for sounds that stand for...

I'd wait. I waited. I encourage my grandchildren to wait :o)

Believe it or not - we live in SC, which historically gets the reports for poor schools, low graduation rates, etc.

When my oldest was K age he skipped to 1st bec he tested higher than any 1st grader in our district. Over the last 6-7 years the schools have really pushed to up the standards required to try to show that they can compete with other states. Kids are now doing in K what they were doing in 1st/2nd --kids in 8th are doing what oldest was doing in Honors courses in 9th. I talked to several friends that are school adm and teachers and they are concerned that bec of the higher expectations/standards being pushed on kids at an earlier age that more kids are burning out, kids aren't having the opportunity to be kids, etc. There are many in adm here that would like to see mandatatory schooling for age 3 and up ---it's ridiculous in my opinion.

Truely, is this a must do? I keep thinking what a mistake it was for my oldest to start then (June bday). My second guy didn't need it (Nov bday). I just want to start 'right' this time. This one and the next are so close in age (13mos apart April and May bdays) I would rather wait and have them work together.

I will admit I would rather not do K (or any other grade) 2 yrs in a row. I was thinking doing basic calendar, etc., Core Knowledge PreK with the activity bks, and Bearing Away with both this year then start McRuffy K with both next year/January 2010. My 5yr old has no interest in learning to read though he loves to look at books.

I haven't read the responses but just wanted to say that I'm CHOOSING to hold off on starting my 5 year old until she is 6 so that I can start her with her brother who is 11 months younger than her. I, too, have no intention of doing K 2 years in a row.

Thank you all for your responses. I think we will just go along slowly as we have been. Texas considers K optional and homeschoolers to be private schools so no one is going to come ask. He is more like a 4yr old emotionally/maturity wise, anyway.

That NYC Nursery youtube was a shocker. I remember that being a joke when I lived in NJ many moons ago. Guess it hasn't died out. Haven't those parents thought about who they are REALLY doing it for...Themselves, of course! So what happens when Junior fails to live up? Crazy, man, crazy!

And mandatory school for 3yr olds?! Whose cracked their nut? Good Grief! These people have gone mad!

Edited by Guest

My son started having people ask him, towards the end of this last year "So, you're in kindergarten??" The first couple of times he just looked at me funny. I told him, you're 5 and you're in kindergarten. Next year you'll being 1st grade. It's mostly people wanting to know how old you are. He asked me, "What did I do in kindergarten?" and so I told him some things. He just looked at me and kinda gave me an "ok" look.

He won't be reading fluently and I could care less. Of course, it's fun, but there are other cool things he can do:-) You know....legos...explaining skip counting...spelling words... Who cares if he can cut a straight line. Now, when he's in "6th grade" I'll have to see if he's ready for the next level.

Carrie;-)

They don't "have to" do anything ;)

Age 4

I teach reading and only reading, and get them up and reading right away

Age 5

I hand them a pencil.

Age 6

They learn their math facts, all of them, plus minus times and divide

Age 7

The real "homeschooling" begins

:seeya:

Absolutely not. You are the parent-teacher in charge. IMO, the plan you have laid out for boys for the upcoming year sounds great! Just be sure to include lots of Read Aloud, Music & Art Times, and listening to full-length Audio Books (during car rides, Art, & Quiet/Nap Time).

Listening, talking, being read to, and learning to read -- that's the focus for 3s, 4s, and 5s (even beyond, really). Those vital language skills are MUCH more important than doing a certain number of pages in workbooks. At some point, you'll want to sit up at the table for 15 minutes of daily phonics, but it does NOT have to be this year. How easy it is for us to push ahead to "do school" with little ones, while forgetting the benefits of simply playing, working together, and having conversations....

I like Moni's early years plan (see above), I just don't know how to quote two people in the same post. :D

This is what I thought too - and remembered from teaching days and from oldest being in public school. Then I began talking to ps parents that have kids going into 1st.

Not so anymore, at least not in our neighborhood ps. The kids going into K should already know their letters and how to count at least to 10. K skills are now Pre-K skills. By the end of K they should be reading --not "Tom the cat sat on Mat the rat." But, Frog and Toad; Red Fish, Blue Fish; Green Eggs and Ham; etc.. They should also be able to add/subtract numbers to 20 - 30 is better; be able to write sentences - up to four for a story w/ correct punctuation/capitalization; they had spelling tests; etc.

I was feeling so good that my littlest was reading SL's first ICRI book, was adding/subtracting to 10; could copy a sentence; narrate a story; could write his alphabet and full name; knew his family phone numbers and address; etc. All this without "formal" teaching him K skills - just letting his ask and do as he wanted to. We had already decided to call this year K-6 so he would be turning 19 when going to college rather than just turning 18 ---we've already done one just turning 18 and prefer older. I plan to actually teach him this year. But, after hearing the "skills" the ps considered K and I consider 1st I knew we were on the right track to hold off another year. I'm not planning to put our kids in ps ---but I do find it interesting to see what they consider grade level skills.

In my opinion there is no reason to start formal academics at 5 --unless you have a 5 compulsory attendance law.

This is what is going on in our local public schools also. It's also why most of the kids are six years old before they do kindergarten.

Alison

I have two thoughts.

First, I generally think most summer birthday kids should wait. It isn't that it's necessary for the individual so much but that it's so normally done these days. It allows for the parent and child not to feel like the are continuously behind maturity wise, academically, socially, etc.

Second, I think that any grade can start any time and you simply give them what they need. If a kid needs an extra year, you still call him Kindy and then give him the level of work he individually needs. He may seem more asynchronous, even "behind" the first many years. No big deal.

Anyway, I know that isn't much help. If I had a summer bday'd kid (unless significantly advanced), he'd start kindy at 6 rather than being 5 ALL of his Kindy year. Past that, I'd call him his grade level each year and he'd be doing the work that he was doing regardless of whether it was similar to his named grade or not.