Menu

Hamster bite

Okay, Hamster owners, my son was bitten by a neighbor's hamster today. It's really a pretty bad looking bite for just a little hamster. It bled and bled (a good thing, I guess, since that cleans it). We bandaged it up tight.

But my DH wants to know if he needs a tetanus shot or anything. Would you have any concerns about this other than comfort care?

We are supposed to leave tomorrow afternoon for an out of town swim meet. This kid will absolutely insist on swimming these events, so if I need to get a shot or anything, I need to know now so I can schedule for an early morning appointment.

Thanks!

I never have gotten anything after a hamster bite other than antibiotic ointment and a good bandage, and I don't think I even have scars. *checks hands* Nope... fingers all intact. No scars.

I bet he'll be fine. I'd only worry if it gets infected, which I doubt it will.

Or you might also try calling your vet. They would know if there is anything particular about hamster germs, hamster teeth, hamster saliva, whatever.

This is what I was thinking..

I found this online...

Usually, hamsters don't carry any disease that are harmful for humans. Very young hamsters (three to six months) may carry LCM and that virus may cause meningitis in humans. This is very rare, though. If the hamster is that young, watch out for symptoms similar to flu and see a doctor if you have them. Otherwise, a hamster bite is painful, but not dangerous.

Do you vaccinate usually? If you follow a typical or delayed schedule he may already have a current tetanus. It is the T in DTP or DTaP.

I'll check that. We have actually vaccinated on the schedule recommended by my doctor, but I was thinking that the Tetanus only lasts a few years, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't been asked to have any vaccinations in several years (at 11).

I'll check that. We have actually vaccinated on the schedule recommended by my doctor, but I was thinking that the Tetanus only lasts a few years, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't been asked to have any vaccinations in several years (at 11).

Kids often get a booster around 12 but the vaccine should last about 10 years after their last childhood shot at ages 4-6, if they received the typically scheduled doses.

Kids often get a booster around 12 but the vaccine should last about 10 years after their last childhood shot at ages 4-6, if they received the typically scheduled doses.

He had a DTPHib in 1999

in 2002 he had a DTaP.

Does that second one include a tetanus or just the one in 1999.

The site of the hamster bite looks clean so I am not really too worried, but before I take him out of town, I would like to at least have an answer if asked when his last tetanus was.

He had a DTPHib in 1999

in 2002 he had a DTaP.

Does that second one include a tetanus or just the one in 1999.

The site of the hamster bite looks clean so I am not really too worried, but before I take him out of town, I would like to at least have an answer if asked when his last tetanus was.

The capital T is the tetanus. He got it both times (typical for childhood vacs).