Menu

I just realized that Michael Jackson was a homeschooler

Kinda like when my dad stood up at my grandpa's funeral and sobbed, "there was never a more honest man alive..." when in truth, it was my grandfather who slept with my dad's first wife while he was away in the WAR...and the same grandfather who burned down his own house to collect the insurance money. Oh, but a more honest man never lived. :001_huh:

:blink:

Back to the homeschooling part...I also just read an article that said Bristol Palin was homeschooled for a while, but it also wasn't in the sense that most people here think of homeschooling. She wasn't taught by her parents, she was using some distance learning material and completing courses from home that way. The rest of her siblings were in regular school. Not to make this political, but I don't really consider this to be homeschooling. No classroom...possibly a decent teacher...but no student-teacher interaction...for me that's the clincher. Also, just too much screen time.

John Edward's kids were also "homeschooled" while they were on the campaign trail with their parents, but they literally hired a certified teacher to travel with them. I don't think that counts either.

In any case, it seems like homeschooling happens a lot among the rich and famous. It just has a very different face from that of ordinary folks. (In other words, the parents aren't putting in the time, it's all completely outsourced...)

I don't care to speculate on MJ's judgment, but I can imagine traditional school for his kids would be difficult and probably unpleasant...always being followed by the press and everything.

Back to the homeschooling part...I also just read an article that said Bristol Palin was homeschooled for a while, but it also wasn't in the sense that most people here think of homeschooling. She wasn't taught by her parents, she was using some distance learning material and completing courses from home that way. The rest of her siblings were in regular school. Not to make this political, but I don't really consider this to be homeschooling. No classroom...possibly a decent teacher...but no student-teacher interaction...for me that's the clincher. Also, just too much screen time.

John Edward's kids were also "homeschooled" while they were on the campaign trail with their parents, but they literally hired a certified teacher to travel with them. I don't think that counts either.

In any case, it seems like homeschooling happens a lot among the rich and famous. It just has a very different face from that of ordinary folks. (In other words, the parents aren't putting in the time, it's all completely outsourced...)

I don't care to speculate on MJ's judgment, but I can imagine traditional school for his kids would be difficult and probably unpleasant...always being followed by the press and everything.

Maybe there should be different catagories of homeschooling then. I still consider what MJ, Palin's, Edward's and otther celebs do as homeschooling. IMO anytime you get them out of the school building and away from other children (other then family members), to me thats homeschooling.

Maybe there should be different catagories of homeschooling then. I still consider what MJ, Palin's, Edward's and otther celebs do as homeschooling. IMO anytime you get them out of the school building and away from other children (other then family members), to me thats homeschooling.

I see what you mean. I guess in my view of homeschooling the parent(s) is also the teacher. When all the teaching is outsourced I think you lose one of the major benefits of homeschooling (the family-centered quality).

I would like to see that article, got a link ?

Alaska has distance schooling for those who don't live near a school. Living in Wasilla like they do, if this was where they were when she was homeschooled. Most likely it wouldn't have been the same. There are many programs in Alaska that pay for supplies, and have a "teacher" watch over a child. But the parents are still required to teach. The " teacher" just makes sure you cover everything when purchasing for a year, helps with any problems, and arranges the Bench Mark tests. ( Sorry I have been in Texas for 5 years the state tests could be called something else now).

I was with one of these schools at one time, I quickly learned I didn't care for it. And went away from it. All three of my older children were enrolled with I.D.E.A, when it was in it's infancy. Within 2 years the rules change signifigantly. But we were still required to teach !

I don't know which she was enrolled in, but would love to read the article.

( P.S. in most areas of Alaska, teen pregnancy is such a problem, that this might have been a choice for her then ??? )

I feel homeschooling is educating your child outside of an organized school, whether public or private. Whether you use tutors, dual enrollment, their grandmother, mother, cousin, nanny etc teaches them. Homeschooling in my mind is having control over what and how your child is taught.

And no I am not rich, or famous...... :D

I would like to see that article, got a link ?

Alaska has distance schooling for those who don't live near a school. Living in Wasilla like they do, if this was where they were when she was homeschooled. Most likely it wouldn't have been the same. There are many programs in Alaska that pay for supplies, and have a "teacher" watch over a child. But the parents are still required to teach. The " teacher" just makes sure you cover everything when purchasing for a year, helps with any problems, and arranges the Bench Mark tests. ( Sorry I have been in Texas for 5 years the state tests could be called something else now).

I was with one of these schools at one time, I quickly learned I didn't care for it. And went away from it. All three of my older children were enrolled with I.D.E.A, when it was in it's infancy. Within 2 years the rules change signifigantly. But we were still required to teach !

I don't know which she was enrolled in, but would love to read the article.

( P.S. in most areas of Alaska, teen pregnancy is such a problem, that this might have been a choice for her then ??? )

I feel homeschooling is educating your child outside of an organized school, whether public or private. Whether you use tutors, dual enrollment, their grandmother, mother, cousin, nanny etc teaches them. Homeschooling in my mind is having control over what and how your child is taught.

And no I am not rich, or famous...... :D

It was an article on Levi Johnston in GQ magazine. There is only one short paragraph that mentions homeschooling which I'm copying below, but the entire article is available online. It doesn't contain any other info on hs though.

Here it is (he refers to Levi): The previous year he’d been in a homeschool scenario. Alaska boasts the most lax homeschooling rules of any state in the union, in the sense that they have literally almost no rules. Levi was doing his learning online, through a Brigham Young University program. Unsupervised, at the Palins’ house, where Bristol Palin was homeschooling, too.

It was an article on Levi Johnston in GQ magazine. There is only one short paragraph that mentions homeschooling which I'm copying below, but the entire article is available online. It doesn't contain any other info on hs though.

Here it is (he refers to Levi): The previous year he’d been in a homeschool scenario. Alaska boasts the most lax homeschooling rules of any state in the union, in the sense that they have literally almost no rules. Levi was doing his learning online, through a Brigham Young University program. Unsupervised, at the Palins’ house, where Bristol Palin was homeschooling, too.

Ok, that is different. He wasn't using an Alaska homeschool ( public or private ) or parent led homeschooling. Don't know what to call that :D

My older children attended college ( for up to 5 classes ) in their highschool years. I still identified myself as homeschooling them.

Alaska does have lax laws, just as Texas does. No reporting nothing. I know someone had some $$$ to use the Brigham Young University :lol: ( I don't think I can call that homeschooling at all.

Now I will have to see if I can find out more about Bristol.... Curiosity killed the cat.

I had this thought in the "radical unschooling" thread -- I think there needs to be a clearer definition of what homeschooling is. I found other people's definitions fascinating on that thread, and I think any out of school educational experience is called homeschooling to distinguish it from truancy/neglect, but obviously school-at-home (with curriculum in a box, etc), "unschooling," various other educational schemes administered by a parent, and educational programs administered by other people are all different.

BTW I made my husband swear no one will tell my kids out of nowhere when I die that their mother "wasn't strange."

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1cat2ferrets viewpost.gif

I wasn't trying to start anything, just wondering why she said yikes for. Michael Jackson didn't do the homeschooling, his Nanny did. So I don't think homeschoolers should have anything to worry about.

I really wish you'd LEAVE ME ALONE. I don't know if you're a man or a woman, or perhaps both...pure speculation on my part! But I do wish you and everyone else on this board would STOP bashing Michael Jackson...let him REST IN PEACE!!!

I answered your question as to why some might say "yikes"

Despite your foul mouthed PMs I am not attacking you, simply replying to posts. This is after all a discussion board.

To remove any need for speculation, I am male.

Given your earlier fur is dead avatar. I might say Michael too is Dead, just like fur. I still prefer mink, fox or sable.

Okay, I know I shouldn't laugh, but you just made me choke while drinking a glass of ice tea.:lol:

Wow, some threads really bring out the wierd ones.

The first homeschoolers I met were scientologists. My son and I were kicking a ball in the local park on his very first day of not going to school. A group of about 10 kids with two mothers were also playing in the park in a seemingly organised kind of way. I gathered the courage to ask them if they were homeschoolers and they were. We chatted- I told them it was our first day- and for the next 6 months we were invited to join them for their weekly sports day, which we did. It was such a great entry into the homeschool world because it was important to my kids to met other kids who hoemschooled so they didnt feel like freaks.

As someone who has been involved in a religious organisation that is seen as "out there" by mainstream, as in, a cult, I can completely understand why scientogogists, as well as famous people, might choose to homeschool. It doesnt mean the kids are isolated or cut off any more than any of our kids- they just mix in different circles.

There was nothing wierd about the kids I hung out with at all, nor the mums, and they even had some great ideas that I took to heart about teaching.