Menu

I just realized that Michael Jackson was a homeschooler

I assume many celebrities keep their children out of the public as much as possible. Remember when Michael Jackson would insist his kids wear veils when they went out with him so their pictures wouldn't spread all over the tabloids?

It didn't sound like MJ was doing the teaching primarily.

I assume many celebrities keep their children out of the public as much as possible.

They probably don't think of it as homeschooling the way we do...they probably hire tutors to do most or all of the teaching--they might still see teachers as being more knowledgeable and qualified than a parent.

I think a lot of celebrities that hire tutors for their children call it homeschooling because the name lends normalcy to their school experience. Will Smith and Jada Pinket Smith homeschool but I don't think Jada is pouring over the Singapore math with her kiddies LOL. I'm not saying it isn't homeschooling, I'm just saying it looks a lot different than what I'm doing, kwim?

Aside from Will Smith, I know that Tom Cruise and John Travolta homeschool. I don't know if it is a Scientology thing or just a celebrity thing.

Have to say, it kinda creeps me out that Tom Cruise homeschools but as for John Travolta, I hear they do and think, What a nice family!

Aside from Will Smith, I know that Tom Cruise and John Travolta homeschool. I don't know if it is a Scientology thing or just a celebrity thing.

Have to say, it kinda creeps me out that Tom Cruise homeschools but as for John Travolta, I hear they do and think, What a nice family!

I heard (somewhere) that the Cruise family had a specific scientology-type curriculum; not sure about the Travoltas.

I know their son Jet had a lot of needs, being autistic and having his seizure disorder. They seemed to be a pretty close family.

I think actually it is kinda cool that so many celebs do this - I think most do it to just be with their kids more, and not always just because they want to keep them out of the limelight.

I heard (somewhere) that the Cruise family had a specific scientology-type curriculum; not sure about the Travoltas.

Until last year, the only Scientologist-affiliated publisher that would sell to homeschoolers was Heron Books. Now Connect the Thoughts is a second option.

It's not uncommon for Scientologists to homeschool because the movement places a strong emphasis on knowledge, on mastery of subjects and complete comprehension. I know Scientologists who homeschooled in the seventies not for religious purposes but for educational quality. When I see interviews with Will Smith & Tom Cruise, they seem to exhibit this sense of personal responsibility for their children's education that defines a lifestyle-homeschooler for me. And I read that it was Tom Cruise's sister who taught his kids, not hired tutors, leading me to further believe this is a family togetherness thing.

Many others in the performing arts have always had to use correspondence schools or tutors to accommodate their lifestyles; they don't homeschool because they share that sense that parents are the ultimate responsible party. Both Laurel Springs and Calvert School originally existed to serve traveling families.

Funny...I was *just* thinking about him being a homeschooler :)

I had read an article that was portraying him as being the typical "whacko jacko" because his kids "never set foot in a school". Silly, when there are so many other children, esp. ones from celebrity backgrounds, that do the same thing.

As for not calling it homeschooling, I would disagree. If I hit the lotto tomorrow I would probably hire a tutor and do things a little differently, but I would still consider myself a homeschooler.

You missed my historical tie-in, then. Upper-class Europeans of earlier centuries would engage private tutors to educate their children -- a governess for younger children, then subject-specific tutors for the older children. This is the historical "wealthy version" of what we now call homeschooling.

As for not calling it homeschooling, I would disagree. If I hit the lotto tomorrow I would probably hire a tutor and do things a little differently, but I would still consider myself a homeschooler.

Until last year, the only Scientologist-affiliated publisher that would sell to homeschoolers was Heron Books. Now Connect the Thoughts is a second option.

I didn't check the second one, but I looked at Heron Books - and I found it curious that although there is a mention of L.Ron Hubbard *himself* once on the site (in a recommended book blurb), there's no direct mention of Scientology. I googled one of the schools that they list as using their curriculum, The Delphian School and.. same deal. They even have an About L. Ron Hubbard page where they mention that he was "a writer and philosopher" and they mention something called "Study Tech" ... but not a mention of "Scientology" ....

I just find that odd. ESPECIALLY the bio page. :001_huh:

I was aware of it.

Why do you have to say "yikes" for?

I am not too sure why she said "yikes", I would not speculate.

I on the other hand would express concern as I do not like homeschooling associated with the likes of Jackson. As homeschoolers we face enough stereotypes without people associating us with him.

Further, I find the virtual beatification of a man whose morals were at best suspect and at worst criminal to be unpleasant and as such would prefer as many degrees of separation as possible.

Jackson, when speaking of young boys who stayed at his house and when asked about sharing a bed with them said "Why can't you share your bed? The most loving thing to do, is to share your bed with someone."

Are you honestly asking why people would look with askance on his bahavior and hope to distance his name from that of "homeschooler"?

pop up on here and highlight a post from me. I wasn't trying to start anything, just wondering why she said yikes for. Michael Jackson didn't do the homeschooling, his Nanny did. So I don't think homeschoolers should have anything to worry about.

I really wish you'd LEAVE ME ALONE. I don't know if you're a man or a woman, or perhaps both...pure speculation on my part! But I do wish you and everyone else on this board would STOP bashing Michael Jackson...let him REST IN PEACE!!!

pop up on here and highlight a post from me. I wasn't trying to start anything, just wondering why she said yikes for. Michael Jackson didn't do the homeschooling, his Nanny did. So I don't think homeschoolers should have anything to worry about.

I really wish you'd LEAVE ME ALONE. I don't know if you're a man or a woman, or perhaps both...pure speculation on my part! But I do wish you and everyone else on this board would STOP bashing Michael Jackson...let him REST IN PEACE!!!

:001_huh:

I on the other hand would express concern as I do not like homeschooling associated with the likes of Jackson. As homeschoolers we face enough stereotypes without people associating us with him.

That would be what the yikes was for.

:chillpill:

BTW, I agree with PQR.

I am not too sure why she said "yikes", I would not speculate.

Further, I find the virtual beatification of a man whose morals were at best suspect and at worst criminal to be unpleasant and as such would prefer as many degrees of separation as possible.

Jackson, when speaking of young boys who stayed at his house and when asked about sharing a bed with them said "Why can't you share your bed? The most loving thing to do, is to share your bed with someone."

Are you honestly asking why people would look with askance on his bahavior and hope to distance his name from that of "homeschooler"?

:iagree: I could not have said it better myself.

Yikes! I think you need to stop visiting the boards until the hype of Michael Jackson dies down. No one is attacking you.

Very nicely stated.

He was a celebrity and anything associated with his name will have the taint of that association. I don't need anyone thinking my kids are being abused or that I condone abuse because I "homeschool like MJ did."

Where is the line-the Nanny did the work so that makes it tutoring not homeschooling? Please...

Secondly, no need to get so rude. Since when is questioning someone's gender fodder for debate or relevant? Perhaps that is another reflection of your status as a Michael Jackson fan?

I think Remudamom has got it right!

Edited by JumpedIntoTheDeepEndFirst

Because he was an accused child molester, weird as hell and just what folks like to point to as a reason against homeschooling maybe?

I have been accused of things and looked guilty as sin when I was innocent.

Thankfully, no child accusations!

I am weird.

If a conservative Christian heard my feelings on the god of the Jews, they might point a finger at me against my homeschooling.

But that's the beauty of it.

My kids - MY way.

His kids - HIS way.

His daughter obviously loved him and he must have done something right.

We should never judge through the paparazzi lens.

Yes he was weird. Even delusional.

But I could point a bigger finger at the industries that pollute the world and kill her for money. THEY look more weird. Why kill the earth when she is our mother....*that* is weird. More weird than MJ could ever be! Killing the planet that keeps us alive is bizzare.

Some of us who are not inclined toward Scientology might consider the motive to be mind control.

I guess that is not a friendly observation. I already writhe over that group's massive ignorance about the appropriate use of psychiatric medication.

Scientology = mind control and conservative strict Christianity = ?

My kids - MY way.

His kids - HIS way.

But..... the kids he was sharing a bed with were not "HIS." It is one thing for a father to cuddle his children, it is another thing to do what Jackson did.

Please tell me you see the difference.

I wouldn't say they homeschool... they hire a tutor in order to not be with the rest of society (for safety, phobias, arrogance, priveliage, avoid crazy reporters, on & on).

When will they bury him & stop all this talk about him? It is getting to be borderline hilarious. I keep finding him on all the news sites. The press mocked him for 20 years and now treat him like the second coming. He hasn't had a decent production in 20 years... and yet he is the greatest artist to have ever exist! What is it with all this stuff?

Just a bit crazy!

I have been accused of things and looked guilty as sin when I was innocent.

Thankfully, no child accusations!

I am weird.

If a conservative Christian heard my feelings on the god of the Jews, they might point a finger at me against my homeschooling.

My kids - MY way.

His kids - HIS way.

But I could point a bigger finger at the industries that pollute the world and kill her for money. THEY look more weird. Why kill the earth when she is our mother....*that* is weird. More weird than MJ could ever be! Killing the planet that keeps us alive is bizzare.

First you would have to believe the earth is our mother. Which I do not believe.

Second, we are to be good stewards of what God has given us.

Third, this earth is only temporary and will not last forever.

Funny...I was *just* thinking about him being a homeschooler :)

I had read an article that was portraying him as being the typical "whacko jacko" because his kids "never set foot in a school". Silly, when there are so many other children, esp. ones from celebrity backgrounds, that do the same thing.

Yes. I agree. There are many ways to do it.

But when you don't leave home for a brick and mortar school - I think it's safe to call it homeschooling. Tutors would be nice for music and foreign language. I personally ENJOY teaching because I learn; so I am actually addicted to it and couldn't give it up entirely.

But..... the kids he was sharing a bed with were not "HIS." It is one thing for a father to cuddle his children, it is another thing to do what Jackson did.

Please tell me you see the difference.

Isn't it odd that our culture (by great numbers) thinks it is okay for MJ to "cuddle with someones little boys" in his bed... but it is HORRIFIC for a teacher or camp counselor to pat a kid on the back & say "good job". Seriously, you have to sign documents & go through special training to volunteer b/c of this over sensitivity... but MJ can bring these little boys home to "play" and he is the greatest thing on the planet.:001_huh:

You know, when I tell people I homeschool, Mr. Jackson is not the image that pops into their heads. No, usually they look around me to see if I have 10 kids with matching hairdos, and a Ford Econoline. :lol:

We don't have matching hairdos :lol:

You know, when I tell people I homeschool, Mr. Jackson is not the image that pops into their heads. No, usually they look around me to see if I have 10 kids with matching hairdos, and a Ford Econoline. :lol:

:lol::lol:

Nope, nobody like MJ in our co-op....but we do have a couple families at church with the Econoline!:lol:

But I do wish you and everyone else on this board would STOP bashing Michael Jackson...let him REST IN PEACE!!![/color][/b]

Just. Can't. Do it. Bashing, that is. I think he was a sicko at the best and evil at the worst. Not because of his music though. Besides, wherever he is I doubt he gives a rat's @$$ what I think of him.

Isn't it odd that our culture (by great numbers) thinks it is okay for MJ to "cuddle with someones little boys" in his bed... but it is HORRIFIC for a teacher or camp counselor to pat a kid on the back & say "good job". Seriously, you have to sign documents & go through special training to volunteer b/c of this over sensitivity... but MJ can bring these little boys home to "play" and he is the greatest thing on the planet.:001_huh:

The various camp counselors and coachers aren't famous, and so people do mind when they molest their children. Now if those counselors and coaches could bribe the families with tons of money and hire expensive lawyers, and expect unquestioned forgiveness from their sycophants, then they would be forgiven.

You could use the ignore feaute it might save you some......stress.

Never underestimate the love a child has for a parent. My father was an abusive drunk from the day I was born until he stopped drinking when I was 27. I always loved him, even when I was hating him.

My Bible says, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." It is not for me to judge whether MJ was guilty of all the things of which he was accused. By my beliefs, he has already stood before the Judge of the Universe and had to give an accounting, which was none of my business. However, many of the things he embraced while here on earth are things which we feel led by God are not appropriate for our family (clothing, lyrics, lifestyle, philosophy, etc.). I am referring to those things which he did/said in public and were on view for all. While I am not to judge HIM, I am to judge what is right for my family and I can emphatically say, we were not fans.

I do sincerely hope he will not become the next Titanic (please, people, just let the boat sink, for heaven's sake!). I was not an MJ fan while he was alive and I resent being forcefed a steady MJ diet by the media now that he has passed. Why is it that our society seems to obsess on these apparently troubled celebrities (James Dean, Marylin Monroe, Elvis etc.) I try to focus on that which is good, loving, kind, etc. and these folks don't come up on that list very often.

So get over it, there is nothing wrong with proclaiming that we are totally opposed to the way these people have conducted their lives. Their celebrity doesn't convey any particular respect or deity about them. If you live like an out-of-control nut, don't be surprised if most mainstream folks aren't impressed.

I wasn't trying to start anything, just wondering why she said yikes for. Michael Jackson didn't do the homeschooling, his Nanny did. So I don't think homeschoolers should have anything to worry about.

I answered your question as to why some might say "yikes"

Despite your foul mouthed PMs I am not attacking you, simply replying to posts. This is after all a discussion board.

To remove any need for speculation, I am male.

Given your earlier fur is dead avatar. I might say Michael too is Dead, just like fur. I still prefer mink, fox or sable.

Edited by pqr

From your signature, I can tell that you had a very dear love for Mr. Jackson. You must also realize that many of us had a similar passion for disliking him (her? it?). He had lots of issues. In watching the TV coverage of his memorial, I am honestly shocked at the "to do" over his death. Kinda like when my dad stood up at my grandpa's funeral and sobbed, "there was never a more honest man alive..." when in truth, it was my grandfather who slept with my dad's first wife while he was away in the WAR...and the same grandfather who burned down his own house to collect the insurance money. Oh, but a more honest man never lived. :001_huh:

just to get off of all that is it or isn't it bashing, etc.. (also avoiding the yikes).

In California there is no such thing as homeschooling. Hiring a private tutor is one of the 4 legal avenues of schooling in the state education code. I believe it was one of the earliest and developed because of the entertainment industry. After seeing news of what happens to celeb kids trying to go to preschool, I can't say as I would blame someone for paying for a tutor.

The Smiths (Will and Jada) have actually started a private school (in their home? possible). This is another of the legal options for schooling in California. Many "homeschoolers" complete an affidavit for the state that defines their schooling as a "private school," thus fulfilling the state ed code - unless someone wants to get picky.

I don't find it odd that a company would attempt to distance itself from an organization that gets as much criticism as The Church of Scientology. It's a natural defense mechanism, no matter what you think of the CoS.

...but it's a company selling homeschool materials intended for Scientologists .. and the other is a boarding school intended for Scientologists...

or at least that's what I thought from the post?

If the material is Scientology-based (and especially the boarding school!), then I think it's dishonest to hide that...if it's not - which would be hard to believe, given the bio of Hubbard & mention of reading a specific book of his and such - then fine....

(And I'd expect the same of *any* faith-based curriculum supplier or school - whether that faith is Scientology, Jainism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Baha'i, Wicca, Hinduism, Falun Gong, Sikhism or Hellenic Neopaganism. And all the others. /disclaimer :tongue_smilie: )