Menu

If you unschool, use CM or Ambleside.... what does a 'schedule' look like

74Heaven

Sounds like opposites I know - unschool AND schedule - but I know that real life always includes some structure. [5 kids to make it thru the day with]

I am thinking schedule and planning for unit study types of topics, outside activities, field trips, lots [TONS] of reading and some time for independent pursuits. Does anyone have a weekly ''semi-structured'' library trip... [And how do I leave time for the impromptu opportunities that arises...]

IOW, maybe Weds will be a weekly activity day [field trip, YMCA activities OR at home hands on project] and M, Tu and Th will be more traditional academics and read alouds and shorter history writing or smaller projects...

My energy will change too - I know that from experience, there will be days when I will wake up and think ''this is TOO hard, everyone go to their desk and pick up a math book and a language arts book and do 2 pages of each''. Ok, I am half-serious here.

How do you schedule a more relaxed school year.... How can I create some monthly or weekly structure to our days to keep me on track....

IS there a ''how to have relaxed, yet productive homeschool day'' when you are the Type A personality with ADHD kids. [not diagnosed as ADHD but I have no doubt all of the kids including me are ADHD]

MY thoughts are that my 3 younger kids [ages 6,9,12] will THRIVE with lots of reading, challenging math and activities but that I will be overwhelmed if things are not relatively organized.

OK, I would like some book suggestions, ideas and input to help me change our school from very structured to ''more time for the fun things''. [without mom going crazy]

thanks - lisaj, hsing 12 years - mom to 5 [2 in high school]

Here is my little guy's first grade schedule. The philosphy is CM and the materials except LA (workbooks/ IEW) and music are CM.

Days 1 and 3

10 min- Poetry Selections from Ambleside Online Year 1

20 min- Kumon Math Drill

40 min- WinterPromise Quest for the Middle Ages History, Geography, Culture, Bible, and Art

15 min- Literature Selections from Ambleside Online Year 1

20 min- Making Math Meaningful

20 min- Queen Homeschool's Memorization Copywork, Penmanship

20 min- WinterPromise The World Around Me

20 min- Calvert’s Discoveries in Music

20 min- MCP Phonics C, Wordly Wise, Easy Grammar 3

afternoon- Nature Walk

10 min- Book Basket

15 min- Hands-On Surprise

evening- Readers

Days 2 and 4

10 min- Poetry Selections from Ambleside Online Year 1

20 min- Kumon Math Drill

40 min- WinterPromise Quest for the Middle Ages History, Geography, Culture, Bible, and Art

15 min- Literature Selections from Ambleside Online Year 1

15 min- Primary Challenge Math

30 min- All Things Fun & Fascinating from Institute for Excellence in Writing, Queen Homeschool's Memorization Copywork

20 min- WinterPromise The World Around Me

15 min- Rosetta Stone Farsi

afternoon- Nature Walk

10 min- Book Basket

15 min- Hands-On Surprise

evening- Readers

Day 5

10 min- Queen Homeschool's Memorization Copywork

20 min- Kumon Math Drill

evening- Readers

Day 5 isn't necessarily Friday. Day 5 is used any day, but only one day per week. If we have a field trip or appt out of the house, we will call whatever day that is day 5.

HTH-

Mandy

Here's a link to my schedule for my 1st and 3rd graders....

http://sproutsfromtherootsup.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-it-all-fits-together.html

Definately more CM than unschooling...

And yes, we have a regular library day, usually a Tuesday or Thursday when we have more time. The kids also will have a couple of classes (art, hands-on science) on Mondays.

The 15yo is using most of AO Yr7 lite with AO Yr9 lite substituted for geography and WP QMA substituted for the devotional reading, history, and biographies. He will be using Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings for literature, composition (with IEW for explanations), and vocabulary. LOTR is listed in the free reading section of the Yr7 break down on LindaFay’s blog. For a 15yo boy an indepth study of LOTR somehow seemed appropriate alongside his history. He is using the last 20 chapters of Conceptual Physics and Roller Coaster Physics to wrap up his physics credit and he is also doing WinterPromise Human Body and Forensics. It is easier to see his schedule by looking at his workboxes.

Here are his boxes.

Box 1 with number 1

1. Commonplace Book (5x/week);

And to be used in this order on days 1-4:

English Lit for Boys and Girls by H.E. Marshal (1x/week); Bullfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry (1x/week); Ourselves Book 1 by Charlotte Mason (1x/week); Asimov’s Chronology of the World (1x/week)

Box 2 with numbers 2 and 3

2. ACT Math Drill- just a few problems (4x/week)

3. Conceptual Physics (4x/week)

The little man's Box 2 This box will sport both the little man’s green 2 and the 15 yo's blue number 4

4. WinterPromise QMA- the few materials shared in our together time (4x/week)

Box 3 with number 5

5. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (5x/week)

Box 4 with number 6

6. QMA Independent Study- Early Church History (4x/week)

Box 5 with number 7

7. Teaching Textbooks Pre-Calc (5x/week)

Box 6 with number 8

8. WP HB&F (4x/week)

Box 7 with number 9

9. To be used in this order on days 1-4:

Teaching Company's Great Artist's of the Italian Renaissance (1x/week); Teaching Company's Anatomy & Physiology (1x/week); K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics (1x/week); Teaching Company's Foundations of Western Civ (1x/week)

Box 8 with numbers 10 and 11

10. Jensen's Grammar (4x/week)

11. Spanish (4x/week)

Box 9 with number 12

12. Nature Notebook and guides (4x/week)

Box 10 with number 13

13. To be used in this order on days 1-4:

Memory/ Copywork (1x/week:Romans 12, Macbeth's Monologue, from Magna Charta, and an as yet undetermined piece of poetry ); Picture Study on Artist from day 1's Teaching Company Lecture with oral narration (1x/week); The Royal Road to Romance begin chapter (1x/week); The Royal Road to Romance finish chapter and complete drawn narration (1x/week)

Box 11 with number 14

14. WP QMA- History and Geography selections from independent studies

Box 12 with number 15

15. Additional Literature to include Macbeth, Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, The Tempest, Redwall, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves (a modern retelling of the first book of the Faerie Queen).

Most of his boxes will stay the same all year as this is where we will store it all. A few items simply must be changed out, because there isn't enough room in the box. He will change out his Teaching Company Lectures, K'Nex, nature guides, QMA independent study projects, and readers when needed. I will change out his ACT math drill weekly.

I think that this will allow him to continue working independently without toting around lots of paper. Days 1-4 he will complete every number. On day 5 he will share his Commonplace Book and complete numbers 5, 7, 15.

HTH-

Mandy

What about something like Robinson Curriculums method, not the curriculum itself, but the method. The method is 2 hours of math, 2 hours of reading and 1 hour of writing/vocabulary daily. History and Science just come from the reading. The RC books are set up so they are getting an adequate amount of literature, science and history just from reading the list of books. You could just come up with your own like we did. We did a modified version last year that worked pretty well and allowed for lots of free time to explore other avenues. We did one hour of math, 1 and 1/2 hours of reading (30 min each of literature, history and science) and 30 minutes of writing. That's three hours of scheduled "school" time. They followed their interests for the rest of the day. I was a bit worried they wouldn't find valuable things to do, but a "no screen time" rule during the week (unless it was a typing lesson or German with Rosetta Stone) helped a lot. I was surprised by the creative and productive things they found to do. Now, you could have them do their basics, and then plan a unit study or just a fun activity for once or twice a week. Maybe you could set aside some time once a week for everyone to lapbook together or something.

I better be careful. I may be talking myself in to doing something like this again next year. We used Amblesides books with the RC method. We enjoy AO books so much, I've decided to try to do AO as written. I've committed to trying it for the whole year. If it goes well, we'll continue. If not, we'll go back to something like what I've descrbed above.

Sounds like opposites I know - unschool AND schedule - but I know that real life always includes some structure. [5 kids to make it thru the day with]

I am thinking schedule and planning for unit study types of topics, outside activities, field trips, lots [TONS] of reading and some time for independent pursuits. Does anyone have a weekly ''semi-structured'' library trip... [And how do I leave time for the impromptu opportunities that arises...]

OK, I would like some book suggestions, ideas and input to help me change our school from very structured to ''more time for the fun things''. [without mom going crazy]

thanks - lisaj, hsing 12 years - mom to 5 [2 in high school]

When you mention "unschool" and "organized," I automatically think of the Workboxes system. It can organize your kids and you can put as much formal or informal materials in the boxes as you like. This could make it more schoolish or more unschoolish. If you wanted to get even more unschoolish, instead of numbering some of the boxes, (perhaps just number the boxes of the subjects you are going to REQUIRE, such as math or reading) you could merely fill them with activities and specify that your children need to be doing something from their workboxes between the hours of blank and blank. As a variation, you could fill the boxes for the entire week or for longer, depending on the maturity level of your children. The boxes effectively become mini "stations."

The element of surprise and change is a wonderful aspect of the workbox system. I think it could work for you!

Here is what is in the boxes for my 7th grader. We are CMish with a dose of unit studies.

1 - History Reading (course contract with check-off boxes)

2 - Memory (small 3-ring binder with sections for Science Vocab, Bible Truths and Poetry)

3 - Devotional Reading (index card with M/W and T/TH directions)

4 - CLE Math (no directions needed - done daily)

5 - Composer Study or Poetry (course contract with M/W and T/TH directions)

6 - Rotating Subjects - Art History, Science Biographies, Logic, Nature Study (directions to choose from one of the options each day: Art in Ancient Egypt, Fallacy Detective, The World of Chemistry, Eyewitness Life)

7 - Science (course contract with M/W and T/TH directions)

8 - SURPRISE ME! - a variety of fun and goofy things, different each day

9 - Language Arts - (index card with M/W and T/TH directions)

10 - Diana Waring's Ancient Civilizations and the Bible (course contract with check-off boxes)

11 - Literature (course contract with check-off boxes for Book A and Book B)

12 - SURPRISE ME! - something different each day: dance dvd, cooking project, game, noteworthy news item, craft kit, some type of treat, phy-ed ball skills, etc

As far as scheduling, FLYlady is really helping me stay organized. Because of this, I have a Desk/Planning/Errand day one day per week, and it makes such a difference in how smoothly my week goes. When I am organized in Life, Homeschool goes much smoother as well.

Edited by Tami

How about more of a year-round "family routine" than a "school schedule?" (this is what I'm *trying* to do - another Type A Mom here...) Something like:

7:30-8:30: get up, dress, breakfast, hygiene, cleaning chores

8:30-12:30: academic time

12:30-1: lunch (everyone help prep and cleanup)

1-3: nap/afternoon rest - time to read and read some more, or read and play for younger kids, or do independent projects - everyone by themselves in a bedroom or corner of the home (we do this, and I love it)

3-4: finish any academics, or do science experiments/projects where Mom is needed - Mom do and assign corrections if not done in the morning

4-5: exercise/walk/anything outside

5-6: supper prep, with kids helping - others cleaning up books, toys, rooms, etc.

6-7: eat, kitchen cleanup (everyone help), showers

7-8: Mom reads aloud to everyone while they play or do some kind of handwork

8: kids to bedrooms for sleep or reading, Mom off duty

If you do afternoon or evening activities, you could play around with time slots.

You could "school" 4 days a week, leaving a 5th day open to spontaneity or for catching up/shopping/errands/library/outside lessons.

You can also take a week "off" here and there for reorganization, vacations, etc.. Or you could decide that one week every month is "writing-free" - have them read some more or work more on their independent projects.

As for academic time, I don't have a clue how I'd do that with 5 kids. Well, I suppose you could leave read-alouds to the evenings and then use the mornings for teaching/working. Maybe make a list for each child of what you need to tutor them in, and then rotate children as needed, tutoring one while the others work on what you've assigned or littler ones play?

And yes, I *am* trying to get back into going to the library every week - I did when the kids were younger and I want to do it again. That's what our 5th day is for. I give my kids a list of categories from which to choose at least one book, too (if that's what you meant by semi-structured).

When my kids were younger I was more of the unschooler mindset, until I realized I didn't know how to direct their academic needs, then I started using WTM. I'm a little more comfortable with where we're going now, so I'm trying to incorporate WTM methods into a more relaxed family schedule. :)

hth

Edited by Colleen in NS

I just wanted to say thats it all the field trips and unit studies and activities that would burn me out. Not the academic work. Can you have a regular structure of 2-3 hours of academics every morning- then freedom to do whatever you choose the rest of the day? In those 2-3 hours you can do a maths and an English program so that the bare minimum is covered daily.

I do find having a routine works best for us. Often by the last quarter of the year I am much closer to unschooling than I am the rest of the year. I often give my kids projects to work on and am more likely to drop everything and take them somewhere. But by then, we have usually accomplished a fair amount through the year. Slow and steady is the rate here. We have afternoons pretty much free.