Menu

How did you do your state history study?

I'll be teaching a Maryland State History class at our co-op in the fall. My plan is to use materials from www.statehistory.net. This is a state history program from a Christian perspective.

If you like doing lapbooks Knowledge Box Central has a State Study lapbook. I may incorporate parts of that into our notebook.

Hands of a Child also has a State By State Lapbook.

In preparation I also visited a local visitor center and picked up travel brochures and maps. We'll cut some of these apart to add to our notebooks.

Hope this helps!

We intend to do ours as a unit study and we will definitely include a lapbook. I second the suggestions from the previous poster re: lapbook resources, and would also see if you could do a search for Arizona unit study. Someone may have done a lot of the "legwork" for you. I found an excellent unit study for NC that way.

Jennifer

I was at Teaching Stuff in Tempe yesterday, and they had a whole Arizona history section. I didn't really look that closely at it since I won't be doing any history for awhile. I don't know what they would have curriculum wise, but I'm sure there were some good extras there.

I'll be teaching a Maryland State History class at our co-op in the fall. My plan is to use materials from www.statehistory.net. This is a state history program from a Christian perspective.

We have a copy of the older My State Notebook from A Beka that is on that site (the one from 1997) and it can easily be used secularly. I have seen no religion-specific content in it at all. At the used curriculum sale, it was bundled with NC student history booklet by Joy Dean, which appears to be from the statehistory.net folks. This booklet doesn't appear to go into religion-specific material (as opposed to historical info about different religious groups that settled in NC) until it gets to the supplement on the constitution. I believe that portion is intended for use with older students, as there doesn't seem to be an area in the My State Notebook to cover that. The constitution section is very much oriented to God's control over government, including having the student write out specific Bible verses on the test.

So, that material appears (assuming it is similar to the NC material) usable secularly as long as you aren't using the constitution material, in case that matters to you. We will be using it with my rising 4th grader this year.

We have a copy of the older My State Notebook from A Beka that is on that site (the one from 1997) and it can easily be used secularly. I have seen no religion-specific content in it at all. At the used curriculum sale, it was bundled with NC student history booklet by Joy Dean, which appears to be from the statehistory.net folks. This booklet doesn't appear to go into religion-specific material (as opposed to historical info about different religious groups that settled in NC) until it gets to the supplement on the constitution. I believe that portion is intended for use with older students, as there doesn't seem to be an area in the My State Notebook to cover that. The constitution section is very much oriented to God's control over government, including having the student write out specific Bible verses on the test.

So, that material appears (assuming it is similar to the NC material) usable secularly as long as you aren't using the constitution material, in case that matters to you. We will be using it with my rising 4th grader this year.

:iagree:This could very easily be used as a secular curriculum.