Menu

Dan Radcliffe an atheist - will this change your mind about watching the movie

No. But I would be worried if my kids had wanted to see him onstage in Equus. Apparently, he was naked during that role.

Of all the plays I read and saw in my English degree years, this one stands out as one that had few redeming qualities. Maybe if it were a choice between Equus and Waiting for Godot?

Nah, at least in Waiting for Godot, you could catch a quick nap in the comfy theatre seats.

We didn't do either. The anti-God content was enough. We don't do Harry Potter either b/c all I can gather the lines between good & evil get blurred.... never get that in Narnia or the Shire.;)

Boy that's one thing I, personally, wouldn't say about the Harry Potter books. I didn't find any blures between good and evil. I did find it left you in suspense through many books about whether a particular character was good or evil. Harry does things many teens do; lying, sneaking out in the castle, disobeying a teacher, etc He's a good kid.

If the views points of an actor go against your own, then you would be missing out on lots of movies/TV shows.

Would you not watch Lord of the Rings because Ian McKellen is gay

Would you not watch House because Hugh Laurie is an atheist

LOL...and wouldn't this require actually paying attention to what most actors believe? :tongue_smilie: I have no time for such thing. LOL

Hugh Laurie...and athiest. Whodathunkit?

That's what I was thinking, Laura. Now, Dumbledore, according to J. K. Rowling, is gay.

Okay, I must now have a link to the proof of this! :001_huh: In all the times i have read these books, I never got the feeling that Dumbledore was gay. How strange! If J.K. Rowing said it, then okay, but she sure didn't give us any clues in the books!

Boy that's one thing I, personally, wouldn't say about the Harry Potter books. I didn't find any blures between good and evil. I did find it left you in suspense through many books about whether a particular character was good or evil. Harry does things many teens do; lying, sneaking out in the castle, disobeying a teacher, etc He's a good kid.

Well...I do think the books show people who do some things that are wrong or shady or morally questionable but are *mostly* good people. You see this with Prof Slughorn, Malfoy to some degree, etc. There are other people who are officially on the side of the "good guys" but clearly are not good people such as Umbridge.

I would completely disagree that you don't see that in the Shire. Galadriel saw the desire for power and the danger if she accepted the burden of the ring. Boromir desired the power of the ring to save and help Middle Earth. Something similar happened within Saruman who was once on the side of good.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Could you give me the Lewis quote for this? I'm ultra-curious as I've never heard this.

Have you read the books? She's talking about the portrayal of the Caloremenes. Although I think they portray more "Orientals" (to use the word of the age) than Muslims but that's probably splitting hairs.

We didn't do either. The anti-God content was enough. We don't do Harry Potter either b/c all I can gather the lines between good & evil get blurred.... never get that in Narnia or the Shire.;)

I would have to say that the lines between good and evil are no more blurred in Harry Potter than in the bible. Some characters do some questionable and 'immoral' things, but they are apparently supposed to be 'good guys'. ;)

Where does Lewis say he is trying to portray Muslims? Is that something he stated? There are lots of different religions in the East. Is there a quote where Lewis says he is portraying Muslims. I'm not arguing that he didn't say it. I'd just like to know where this quote is located so I can read more. (And yes, I've read the books.)

Not trying to be argumentative,

Holly

Where does Lewis say he is trying to portray Muslims? Is that something he stated? There are lots of different religions in the East. Is there a quote where Lewis says he is portraying Muslims. I'm not arguing that he didn't say it. I'd just like to know where this quote is located so I can read more. (And yes, I've read the books.)

Not trying to be argumentative,

Holly

It's not stated outright anywhere as far as I know but I have to agree that it is *definitely* implied that they are Middle Eastern, if not Muslim. I remember thinking a lot about the Calormenes when I read Passage to India. Those scenes really smack of British Imperialism and superiority over other races to me. Literature is interpretive; how I see it may not be how you see it.

I don't recall that it's explicitly stated in the Chronicles. It's obvious. Same for the portrayal of the Calormenes. They "smell of garlic and onions". The sounds of their names, with all the z's-it just seemed obvious to me that they were meant to be a scarily "foreign" people who were dark skinned and not to be trusted.

I had to explain to my 7 yo that some people actually think that garlic and onions smell bad!

What an actor/singer/etc. believes in private doesn't bother me. It's when they get all publicly preachy about issues that annoys me. If it's legal and they're not all in my face about it, I could care less.
:iagree:

It would not bother me. I would still go to his movies.

Edited by Gretchen in NJ

Well, it might bother me if someone were campaigning regularly for a cause I didn't believe in, but in general, most actors are far, far more liberal than I, so no, I don't tend to critique beliefs before I watch a movie. There's not much I think I'd agree with Johnny Depp about, for instance, but I still enjoy his movies....

It's not stated outright anywhere as far as I know but I have to agree that it is *definitely* implied that they are Middle Eastern, if not Muslim. I remember thinking a lot about the Calormenes when I read Passage to India. Those scenes really smack of British Imperialism and superiority over other races to me. Literature is interpretive; how I see it may not be how you see it.

Thanks for your reply,

Holly

Nope, my decision to see a movie is based on my desire to see a movie, and my decision for my kids to see a movie is based on content. We don't read celeb mags or watch those celeb shows, so honestly I don't know much about any of the actors/actresses or film makers and their beliefs.

One of my best friends is an atheist (seriously) and I would trust her with my life and more children more so than a lot of Christians I know.

One of my best friends is a Fundamentalist Christian! (I'm an atheist.) I have more in common with her philosophically than I do most atheists in my area.

I said a lot of arrogant and uninformed stuff at that age. I think it's possible that Daniel Radcliffe is just speaking from a place of youth and I won't hold it against him or against the movie./quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. I went through my trying-to-be-a-christian phase at that age. I grew out of it, just wasn't for me.

This did make me chuckle: "Prof Dawkins, author of best-selling book The God Delusion, is no fan of Harry Potter, once remarking that tales of witchcraft are "anti-scientific". " It isn't always Christians. :D

LOL!! tales about God --pro or con-- are pretty anti scientific too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, I must now have a link to the proof of this! :001_huh: In all the times i have read these books, I never got the feeling that Dumbledore was gay. How strange! If J.K. Rowing said it, then okay, but she sure didn't give us any clues in the books!

Why strange? It's a back story to the books, not in the books itself.

Laura

I said a lot of arrogant and uninformed stuff at that age. I think it's possible that Daniel Radcliffe is just speaking from a place of youth and I won't hold it against him or against the movie.

Lisa

Hey now...some of us are just as "arrogant and uninformed" today as we were at that age. :tongue_smilie:

Fairly realistic then, isn't it?

I think if I had to research the religious and political views of authors/screenwriters/actors etc, I wouldn't have time to read the actual books or watch the movies!

:)

Rosie

It was all over the news a couple of years ago when she said it at a book signing.

Here is one article about it - http://www.newsweek.com/id/50787