Menu

Vocabulary

One thing I've done and enjoyed is keeping a notebook of words I run across in my reading. Usually if there's one word I don't know (or don't know well) then there are going to be more in the same book. I put the title of the book, author, and date at the top, then the sentence (or passage if needed) that the word was in. Then I put in the definition. Now all of that probably doesn't sound like much fun, but I've really enjoyed going back and reading over the passages.

Hi Luanne,

I recently blogged about this, so I won't rewrite it here. Getting new vocab into my old brain is a constant struggle. :)

HTH!

(about the getting into my old brain part). Thanks for sharing your blog.

It seems like I quite frequently say to myself "oh ... I've seen that word recently. What did it mean again?" I always get excited if I can actually remember. Then my daughter looks at me like I am nuts or something. At least I don't talk to and yell at the characters in the books I read like she does. :lol:

One thing I've done and enjoyed is keeping a notebook of words I run across in my reading. Usually if there's one word I don't know (or don't know well) then there are going to be more in the same book. I put the title of the book, author, and date at the top, then the sentence (or passage if needed) that the word was in. Then I put in the definition. Now all of that probably doesn't sound like much fun, but I've really enjoyed going back and reading over the passages.

I have been keeping lists (just on looseleaf paper). Most of the time I write down the word and continue reading and look it up later. The problem with that method is I still don't know while I am reading what the word meant and later on I can't remember what context the word was used in. :001_huh:

Oh, yes! Loved reading his venture back into the classroom, especially since he's older (so am I), he's a Virginian (so am I), and he's such a liberal arts supporter (so am I)!

My book has lots of yellow highlighting. I really enjoyed it, learned a lot. He voiced my thoughts about liberal education.

Enjoy!

Racing Odysseus

Oh, yes! Loved reading his venture back into the classroom, especially since he's older (so am I), he's a Virginian (so am I), and he's such a liberal arts supporter (so am I)!

My book has lots of yellow highlighting. I really enjoyed it, learned a lot. He voiced my thoughts about liberal education.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the review, Janie. It will move to the top of my stack!

Regards,

Kareni

Dd is working through Jensen's Vocabulary as part of her English program. It uses Greek & Latin roots. In our case, it's more likely to get done if she does this than if she has to look up words she comes across that she doesn't know. Since she's always scored well on vocabulary in standardized testing, I can't say so far that she needs to do more than this. The goal is for her to be finished this before she takes the PSAT in her sophomore year; after that, I'm not sure what we'll do.

Dd is working through Jensen's Vocabulary as part of her English program. It uses Greek & Latin roots. In our case, it's more likely to get done if she does this than if she has to look up words she comes across that she doesn't know. Since she's always scored well on vocabulary in standardized testing, I can't say so far that she needs to do more than this. The goal is for her to be finished this before she takes the PSAT in her sophomore year; after that, I'm not sure what we'll do.

My daughter is using Vocabulary from Classical Roots. It works better for her than just looking up words she doesn't know. I was just trying to figure out what to do for myself.

My daughter is using Vocabulary from Classical Roots. It works better for her than just looking up words she doesn't know. I was just trying to figure out what to do for myself.

Whoops! I don't do anything right now, save look up a word if I don't know what it means.