Menu

Christian perspective on "ghosts"?

Dd12 has taken recently to watching Ghosthunters when I'm at work. Dh has just told me this. Would you allow your child to watch this show? If a child is infatuated with ghost stories, hauntings, etc, how would you talk to them about this in a biblical perspective? It makes me uneasy. What do you think?

Thanks,

lisa

I'm not sure. There are several mentions of ghosts in the Bible(people thinking that Jesus is a ghost several times--when he walks on water and after reserrection--what is their frame of reference)? I think the ghost of someone appears to Saul in the OT, but I forget who now. Anyway, I don't think ghosts are a good thing either way. I think it delves into evil in some way--possibly would pull someone away from the Lord. It's very interesting, but could lead to interest in death, other occult type things. I'd stay away.

Yes, stay far away. My personal thought is that manifestation of ghosts, etc., is familiar spirits or demonic activity. I got a fascination with this when I was young and some dark years followed-looking back on it, I believe that the fascination opened the door for allowing Satan to work in my life (not in a demonic sense, just great negativity and separation from the Lord.) And I agree with the PP, that it can be a jumping off for other occult interests-I went to a psychic, etc.

At any rate, it's not what the Lord would want us to be focusing on. I would discuss Phil 4:8 with her and other verses like Ps 145:5-basically about what we *should* be meditating on. I would not forbid it though, if you think that will fuel it. Are there any replacement activities she could do-something special, maybe? Don't forget to pray the Lord's protection over her too, and that He would remove this fascination from her. I will pray for her right now.

The scriptures say that when people die, they turn back to dust, that they are conscious of nothing, not thinking, devising, or working. So if that is so, a "ghost" is what? Obviously not a person who used to be living, so that leaves what? Who would try to scare people? to be entertaining to people? Who would try to mislead people? And do we want to have anything to do with THOSE spirit beings?

I most certainly would forbid it. I would encourage a good search of the scriptures and some strong reasoning as to why. I would block the station in question. I would encourage her to seek the true God and the truth about him, his ways, what he wants for us, etc.

I wish she had had her conscience pricked about it before doing it. If y'all could have talked about it. If you could have directed her. Those thoughts, ideas, images, etc can be quite enticing. It sure would have been nice if she could have been protected from the experience.

Ghosthunters is a decent show though. Jay and Grant are out to DISPROVE ghosts first and are the first to say that something may appear "haunted" but really may be explained away through various causes.

I'm not Christian, just thought it would calm your fears a bit to know more about the show. It may be a great way to discuss your beliefs with your dd.

We watch Ghosthunters (we borrow the seasons dvds from the library), as well as shows like paranormal state etc. As a family we do believe in ghosts etc, but that is due to personal experience I have had with the occult and a force of some sort. I am a Christian (though I was not one when my experiences occured), but I never thought of banning this program or others like it. We watch them as a family and discuss them. Prior to kids I went to university to study psychology with the plan in mind of going into parapsychology and studying paranormal activity. I dropped out when I got pg with ds, but my interest in it never waned. Most of the time with these shows especially with ghosthunters in particular, they go in to disprove the claims, thy show how EMF fields affect a person, how something in the pipes or walls can give an illusion of a ghostly sound etc.

We use the term ghost very generically. I think a more accurate term is spirit. Nowhere in The Bible does it say spirits do not exist. Quite the opposite. What it says is that trying to contact them is forbidden. Why? Because you wouldn't know who or what you are dealing with. I do think some of it is demonic activity. Demons are said in The Bible to appear as angels or ghosts.

Matthew 27:52 mentions spirits rising out of graves after Jesus rose from the dead.

Hebrews 12:1 implies spirits all around us.

What about Luke 24:39 where Jesus tells His disciples to touch Him to make sure He is not a ghost because ghosts don't have bodies and He does? That seems to imply ghosts exist.

As for the story the above poster was referencing-Saul went to a medium (the Witch of Endor) to call up Samuel (I Samuel 28:15). She is suprised when he shows up and she then knows Saul has lied to her. This seems to me to indicate calling up the dead is not impossible but unwise and forbidden. How would you or the medium know if what is called up is your grandmother or a demon? Why would the spirit in question tell you the truth? Is it even wise for you to know the truth or the future?

What do I think about the Ghost Hunters? Most of the time they declare there isn't any evidence for a haunting. They often find other reasons for a house having a bad effect on people (chemical fumes, exposure to electricity, etc). When they *do* feel they have found a bad spirit they often bring in a priest to bless the house. They don't use psychics, mediums or any kind of ouji boards like some of the other shows in this genre. I think they genuinely want to help people who have problems.

I think there is spiritual risk on both sides. I think there is danger in trying to contact spirits. I think there is danger in being too much of a skeptic-what if you come up against something that cannot be explained? The latter sometimes causes people to question their faith or other belief they have held. You could be deceived, either way.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

We use the term ghost very generically. I think a more accurate term is spirit. Nowhere in The Bible does it say spirits do not exist. Quite the opposite. What it says is that trying to contact them is forbidden. Why? Because you wouldn't know who or what you are dealing with. I do think some of it is demonic activity. Demons are said in The Bible to appear as angels or ghosts.
:iagree:And in the Bible we are told to keep our minds on upbuilding things. (Phillipians 4:8)

My perspective is that these shows can get very violent, gory and scary. I see no benefit to them as there is IMO no science involved, no history, no art. It's brain-numbing trash, and it gives my youngest nightmares.

Err...have you actually ever seen Ghost Hunters? This, *specific* show *I* think (jmo, ymmv, etc) truly tries to help people learn something, get information about why they might be having experiences (it's interesting how often they attribute it to something *not* paranormal) and/or get them spiritual help from a religious leader when necessary. I've never seen it become violent, gory *or* scary. There are some crazy shows out there but this isn't one of them, imo.

What I've seen of the show, has been scary enough that I will not allow my kids to watch it. You may not be referring to the show I'm thinking of, but I'm fairly certain it's Ghost Hunters.

The one with the two Roto Rooter guys? You may disagree but I've never found it scary, it is a matter of opinion. It has definitely never been violent or gory. My eldest has watched it with me, my youngest doesn't watch it and he's two years older than your youngest.

There is a crazy British ghost show called Most Haunted-they use oiji boards, get "possessed" and all sorts of crazy stuff. There is Fear, Paranormal Project, Scariest Places on Earth, etc where they send a team of people out to perform tasks. There is Ghost Adventures with a really lame guy but they try to make that one scary. The ones that are more like Haunted History or other documentary-types can be a bit violent. There are a ton of these shows and I just thought you may not have seen the one referenced here as your initial description doesn't fit the show in question at all.

I agree, Mrs. Mungo. The british show is a bit scary but Jay and Grant are very mild and I do learn a lot. I never knew, for example, that old faucets can turn themselves on by mere pressure build up.

My boys don't watch it yet but my oldest is 9. Maybe in another year or so we'll try it out.

I would let my kids watch Ghost Hunters. The premise of the show is that the guys go around trying their hardest to disprove what "paranormal" activity is out there. On one episode, they explain how there are flashing lights that appear in a restaurant (something metal near a window that reflects car lights as they drive by). They explain doors opening and closing on their own (drafts in one episode I saw). Even in instances where they can't explain everything, they're very reluctant to say that the place is haunted. The last season I watched I think there MIGHT have been 2 places they thought might be haunted...and that includes their Halloween special.

So I would let her watch it b/c it gives tools for explaining things scientifically, rather than automatically jumping to believing in ghosts.

Have you asked her why she watches it? I think I would start there. Sometimes as parents we look at a situation with our adult perspective and attribute that perspective to our children. (ie when the little boy asks mom where did I come from and mom assumes he wants the birds and bees talk but he just wants to know his nationality) Her interest may be innocent. However a show like this could be like a "gateway drug" and grab her interest for things that are not ok. that is why knowing what is going on in her head and heart would be the best place to start. I don't know that I would block or forbid without a non-confrontational conversation first.

I have to amend my post a bit due to my ignorance. I didn't realize the show was generally trying to disprove ghosts. I still think it could be a "gateway" thing, but I'd have to know your dd before commenting either way. Depending on the child, it may be something that could be covered by ongoing discussion/open communication. I still wouldn't be thrilled with it because it is a dark theme.