Menu

Why is it when someone decides that their life isn't worth living anymore ...

Anger... selfish... revenge.... wicked.... overwhelmed... alone... lost... addictions....

It is so sad. I have always thought suicide was a selfish act for so many who mire in self loathing or self pity or some despair. They never know (or care, maybe) how their actions hurt soooo many others.. they think it is all about them.

It is even more horrible when they take someone with them (McNair case in the news is an example). You have expanded the circle of pain by multiple levels.

It seems like we are hearing so much more these days with economic losses & hardships. I think it is a hurtful place for all to be (suicide, other victim, and the survirors). So sad.

A former supervisor of mine who had worked for years with suicidal people used to say that every suicide is a multiple homicide, metaphorically speaking. It just kills everyone who cares about the person. Sometimes they are simply suffering and want a way out and don't think long enough about the impact on others, but quite often, suicidal people are very angry and the suicide is a deliberate multiple homicide (metaphorically speaking.) So it's really not surprising when someone makes that more concrete.

I have some sort of distant relatives (mom's 2nd cousin--husband & wife) who were an older couple, both very depressed, and many other issues. They made a suicide pact --he would kill her, then himself. Luckily, they were unsuccessful, but not for lack of trying. I always wonder if they had managed to do it, he would have been seen as a murderer and she the victim.

I'm not at all trying to defend murderers, but when someone is "successful" in a murder/suicide, you may not always know the whole story.

I am a Christian and believe that GOd made our bodies. I also believe that he gave us reflexes and a natural desire to treat our bodies well. To kill ourself I feel that we are somehow not in our right mind- either thru depression, mental illness, despair or something we can't name. Why it happens? I don't know. how the person got there? I don't know. Suicide has happened in my family and my dh's family. It hurts, but we also know that those people would have never done it if they had ben in their right minds and knew how much pain would be left behind.