Menu

Could I do the whole workbox thing with this setup?

Dh's work had him be part of a school remodel a few years ago. In the remodel, they were able to go in and take things the teachers didn't want anymore. I got two rolling book shelves. One has book shelves on each side and I use it as a room divider/book shelf for school. The other has those school coat hangers on one side and 24 cubbies on the other side. It's 3 across and 8 down. In each open cubbie is a open-topped plastic bin that is about twice the width of a plastic shoe box. I'm thinking that could work perfectly, huh? Then I wouldn't even have to make a purchase!!!

My oldest is in high school, and I'm thinking I won't even include her in this thing...she'd probably be a littel insulted if I tried. ;) We use mfw and will be using Kindergarten and CTG this next year. I also have a preschool child. Would 8 bins per child be enough? Would I just put the books they need into the bins the night before? Do I really need the book for this or can I just glean from blogs and such? I'd love input.

Those would work perfectly. I have to say I am green with envy that you have those units. After 20 years in daycare I drool over the catalogues wishing I could afford cubby units like those in my home.

Thank you for reminding me that they are a blessing. They desperately need repainting and nicing-up right now. When I initially got them, I really thought they were awesome, and I know they were worth a lot...they just don't look as wonderful as I'd like them to. ;) I think I'm going to read more about this and see if I can work it for my 3 boys to use the workbox system. It just seems like a good thing for easily-distracted boys.

For us, 8 boxes is definitely enough, although DD's only 5. :) I would feel uncomfortable giving her 12 a day. It just seems like 12 would mean I'm either doing too much or I'm assigning busy work, just to fill up the day. (For a younger kid - I haven't schooled an older kid yet.)