Menu

Congressional Award question...

We asked a parent co-worker/neighbor to sponsor my dd. He doesn't really have to do anything except sign off on records that we keep. I know the feeling of not wanting to burden anyone, but this isn't really too bad. We decided against asking one of her job supervisors so as not to conflict with their current capacity at work (if that makes sense). I mean, if someone supervises my daughter during her hospital work, I didn't want them to have to bother themselves with her other (unrelated) jobs and experiences.

It is a difficult stipulation (non-relative), I agree.

Staci

oversee the planning with my son, then have him present the info to the person selected as his advisor? Of course, we would arrange for the advisor beforehand; I am just trying to consider the best use of this other adult's time (ie, want them to be interested, to want to help ds be accountable, but not have the burden of figuring out and laying out the whole program for my child). Of course we would decide on an advisor prior to beginning, in case he felt like he should have more input, but I just dislike the idea of totally turning it over to someone else!

We are new in town here, so it will take some thinking, but perhaps a Sunday School teacher (mine or his) or a science co-op group teacher would fill the bill. I guess deep down, when I posted this question, I was hoping someone would say, "Oh, but if you are a HOMESCHOOLER you are also an acceptable advisor." Guess that would've been too easy : )

Keep the replies coming, please, if any of you can share info about selecting an advisor and/or the program in general. Thanks!

and then presenting it to the advisor would be ideal. He/she would not waste any time then, and would probably be more open.

I really don't think there is any special circumstance for homeschoolers. In fact, I called once and was told that that is the way it is - too bad. Home schoolers are disadvantaged regarding many federal programs. Last time I checked, none of the NIH summer internships were open to those not enrolled in a high school at least half of the time. That is another golden opportunity made difficult/impossible for us.

However, with perseverance and plenty of google hunting, there are plenty of similar summer programs or award programs you can complete to fruition.

Staci