Menu

New life/need kick in the pants

I've been off the boards for a while going through some major life drama and trauma and the end result is a divorce. Husband is out of the house. Ds9 and I are staying here for now. I do not know what the future will bring completely but I am definitely homeschooling this next year. Materials are on their way.

I've had a lot going on until right now...and now I feel...unmotivated. I need something to get my behind in motion. Things feel so weird. I will be homeschooling son and no husband coming home at night.

School needs to start in about a month. So I have to snap out of this. Any tips appreciated.

Its good to see you back, so sorry for what you have been going through.

At least, the little light is you are able to provide that stability of homeschooling to him and yourself.

Motivation hmmm, Just keep swimmin!!!!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

First, :grouphug:!!! You must be totally worn out.

I suggest that you set a goal (weight loss if needed, or participation in a 5K race, learn a new sport like kayaking or sailing) and get into some good, regular physical activity. That always helps me feel more "alive."

This may not be what you need at all, but may I suggest an outsourced class or activity (ie Cub Scouts) for this next year? Something that will be a bit of a pace setter for you and something that will provide new interests and relationships for you and your son?

I've not been here, either, but happen to be poking around today and lo and behold, here you are! I know things have been hard for you and I wish I had some words of wisdom. Alas, I do not, other than to remind you to be good to yourself. Keep your expectations, from both yourself and your son, reasonable. Focus on relationship first; this is a bumpy path for both of you. Encourage him to talk about his feelings and help him connect with other mentors. Hugs to you.

Oh no, Scarlett, I am so sorry to hear about your marriage. You had been married a long time if I recall. I remember the thread about you wanting to homeschool and your husband did not - did that prompt this? Obviously there were other issues! Are you working, will you have to? How will that impact the homeschool situation?

I'd say for the motivation you need is to get back here to the boards! Do you have a support group locally? Hanging out here and with my fellow HSers is helping me solidify a lot of ideas for the coming fall and getting me excited about organizing. Putting my plan together is making me want to get started.

:grouphug:

((((((((Scarlett))))))))

I had been missing you, and thinking about you. So sorry to hear about all this.

This will be a transitional year for you guys, I guess. I think finding something you love to do and making sure you find time to do it is a good idea.

You hang in there.

I'm sorry to hear of your marriage breaking up.

Take care of yourself--make sure you're eating well, getting enough rest and drinking a lot of water. Set daily goals for yourself, whether it's simply doing the laundry, cleaning out a closet, weeding the garden, whatever. Just schedule something for yourself to do every day.

And, go easy on yourself. You've been through a lot and it's ok to baby yourself a bit. Emotional trauma has physical effects. :grouphug:

Divorce is hard, and you have my sympathy. I doubt what you need is a kick in the pants. If you get yourself to maintain the basics (showing, keeping the house clean, food on the table, loving on your son) I think you probably need to give yourself some slack on the rest. Divorce is exhausting. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Yes, take care of yourself. Check out some good all-around vitamins. What you call "unmotivated" maybe be plainly exhausted from the emotional upheaval - I would be!

Check with a knowledgeable person at a health store or make an appointment with a naturopath. You don't have to go there constantly but they can give a lot of advice on how to keep your immune system strong during demanding times.

When things overwhelm me, I do better with more structure. I would probably schedule study times and stick to it and then schedule something fun as well with your ds. Balance is key always - and ever more so now.

I've been off the boards for a while going through some major life drama and trauma and the end result is a divorce. Husband is out of the house. Ds9 and I are staying here for now. I do not know what the future will bring completely but I am definitely homeschooling this next year. Materials are on their way.

I've had a lot going on until right now...and now I feel...unmotivated. I need something to get my behind in motion. Things feel so weird. I will be homeschooling son and no husband coming home at night.

School needs to start in about a month. So I have to snap out of this. Any tips appreciated.

Scarlett,

People who divorce go through the same grieving process as someone experiencing the death of a loved one. It takes time; on average, grief lasts 2 years, often longer. Don't be too hard on yourself. You don't need a kick in the pants; you need to give yourself time to feel what you feel so that healing can take place.

You may not feel motivated this school year. But if you know that homeschooling your son is the best thing you can do for him, you'll get up in the morning and do what you have to do. Focus on the basics, outsource what you can, and use curriculum that is open and go.

I'm sorry you're going through this. :grouphug:

Thanks everyone. I wanted to clarify that the divorce isn't final yet. I think I made it sound that way. 26 year marriages are not dissolved quickly, but hopefully it won't take too long.

Thanks for the reminders to make mini goal lists. I am not eating right--in fact I've lost over 20 pounds....down to 114! I am trying to take vitamins and the doctor gave me some anti-depressant meds for the short term. I think they help.

The BIGGEST thing I need to do is get back on my exercise routine. That along with sleeping at night...and getting up at a normal hour. I've been staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning...

So my goal today was to put on make up....:) and fix my hair...and I am doing the basics of taking care of my son and house and yard.

I feel like I am rambling, but I do appreciate all the thoughful suggestions and reminders. It does help to hear the most basic of suggestions because my mind is so foggy.

Now that it is all out in the open I can start having friends over and living a life. Probably--definitely-- a much better one than before.

Oh and this wasn't over homeschooling.

Hugs to you! The number of divorces I have read/heard about this year is just amazing. I can count at least 5 without even thinking about it much. Goodness!

I can imagine things would be weird for you, especially in the beginning. Perhaps your motivation can be to work hard to find a new "normal." Do things that make YOU feel good. For me, it would be getting my house into order - moving furniture, throwing old the old, bringing in the new. When a huge life change happens for me, I tend to make it an overhaul of everything. That tends to get me headed back in the right direction. I divorced ds10's dad 7 years ago this August. While I will never say it was "easy," I do feel like it went exceptionally well and that we both managed to "bounce back" and are now leading happy lives apart and we are as close to being friends as one can get with an ex. ;)

First, let me say I'm so sorry. I understand how painful the whole experience is, particularly where your children are concerned.

You've gotten so much good advice already. What really resonated with me that I'd like to reiterate is building a schedule and taking care of yourself. It's helpful to have "pegs" in your day and week that help create that schedule for you. For us, we've maintained violin and piano lessons at regular times, tried to keep up with playdates, have decided to try some new things...we're kayaking. I found a flexible, part-time job for the summer where the kids can go with me if they need to...how blessed is that!

As for school, we're definitely using pre-planned curriculum, not really my style, but I'm learning where my limits are. I forced myself to take anatomy and physiology in January. There were plenty of days I didn't feel like studying, but I ended up with a 98% which was really good for my confidence and showed my girls that we all struggle, but we can perservere and succeed if we work hard.

I think the physical activity advice is right on. Get moving, get physical. Find something you and your son can do together or even better, learn something new together...rock climbing, hiking a mountain, a race, biking, whatever it may be.

Start slow and just focus on the day you're in. I hope you're finding support and encouragement here and at home whether it's through family or a close friend. I will definitely add you to my prayer list. Be strong...you've got someone you love who still needs you and is watching how you're responding. Take care of you so you can take care of him. Press on and mostly enjoy your son and your time together. How wonderful that you will still be homeschooling. Homeschooling is definitely going to be an issue at the forefront here.

Wanda

Oh honey, I am so sorry. I've had you on my mind and wondered how things were going. Give yourself a chance to grieve and to work through your mixed feelings. Here is what I would suggest to start:

-Add some fish oil and B vitamins to your diet if you haven't already.

-Sit in the sun (no sunscreen except for your face) for 10-15 minutes a day. Lack of D3 causes depression and the sunshine will help you feel motivated.

-Take your son to cheap and free activities. Luckily it's summer and there should be plenty to choose from.

-Pick up and do a little Math or Grammar or History now and then to start building a low pressure head start.

:grouphug: Feel better.

Barb

Aw, Scarlett, I'm sorry. That's terrible. I remember feeling that way, too. There's so much stress before the final break and you want to just sit and exhale, but then there is so much "clean up" stress ahead with the divorce details... it's just draining.

I have no additional advice for you - just focus on taking care of yourself and your son, and building new routines for your household.

Wow. That's harsh :grouphug: . Get your school stuff organized, fantasize, make a plan. Shoot for 4 day school week. Don't pressure yourself.

Enjoy coffee house trips with your child. Try to do something enjoyable. Get out of the house (that doesn't mean courthouse appointments).

When you get the curriculum in the mail, you will perk up some! It is like Christmas in July!

Also, prove HIM wrong. If I understand what I have read, exH was opposed to homeschool..... use that as motivation... PROVE HIM WRONG! Use that type of emotion if you need it.... sometimes defiance gets our rocket fuel fired!

Rest a bit.... take a deep breath... open that box of goodies... and go for it!

Best wishes to you!

Wow. That's harsh :grouphug: . Get your school stuff organized, fantasize, make a plan. Shoot for 4 day school week. Don't pressure yourself.

I think the 4 day idea is great!

MY husband is gone all week. I am on my on & get tired by end of a school day.... we often have FREE FRIDAYS.... they might read a bit more on their own... we might try a few recipes & incorporate Math into a practical use.... or we might have a walk or park day! Just drop the formality of school & go with it. It is very good & takes much less energy. You will be happy for the change as much as your student!;)

Big hugs to you, Scarlett.

I've never been in your situation but I do know when my dh isn't around it helps to plan something for the evenings. I'm a routine lover, so if it were me, I'd plan certain things every night, on paper, just so I'd feel better, like game night or movie night. Something that looks like I'm filling a void, regardless of whether it's actually filled. I'm one of those people that believe in starting something I know needs to be done and later enjoying it. What's the saying? Where the feet move the head will follow?

One day at a time!

Cheers,

Scarlet: I am so sorry -- I went through the same a very long time ago. Be kind to yourself and make special memories for you and your son. And, take baby steps and rejoice in simple pleasures! I was given that advice by someone who had just gone through the same thing that I was about to go through.

Everyone here gave excellent advice! Prayers and thoughts are with you.

Thanks everyone. I wanted to clarify that the divorce isn't final yet. I think I made it sound that way. 26 year marriages are not dissolved quickly, but hopefully it won't take too long.

Thanks for the reminders to make mini goal lists. I am not eating right--in fact I've lost over 20 pounds....down to 114! I am trying to take vitamins and the doctor gave me some anti-depressant meds for the short term. I think they help.

The BIGGEST thing I need to do is get back on my exercise routine. That along with sleeping at night...and getting up at a normal hour. I've been staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning...

So my goal today was to put on make up....:) and fix my hair...and I am doing the basics of taking care of my son and house and yard.

I feel like I am rambling, but I do appreciate all the thoughful suggestions and reminders. It does help to hear the most basic of suggestions because my mind is so foggy.

Now that it is all out in the open I can start having friends over and living a life. Probably--definitely-- a much better one than before.

:grouphug: I know what you mean. Sounds like you've got some good goals and the meds were a good call too IMO. :)

I know you don't know me from Adam... but we're going through the same thing here, too. After 10 yrs of marriage, my husband moved out this past Feb and the kids and I moved to a much cheaper rental, so we're now living about 30 miles apart. I'm committed to continue homeschooling as well, but find myself wondering how I'm going to manage to get everything done.... work (I help staff my church nursery, teach homeschool art classes, and sell Usborne), house, school, kids' therapy, much less fun time.... I just have to say that my homeschool group has been such a blessing to me that I hope you have or can get a local group of friends to help lift you up and encourage you not only in your schooling, but emotionally as well.

Since I haven't come through the other side, yet... I don't have any tips. I just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain and you're never alone no matter how often it feels that way. I just concentrate on each day as it comes and make sure each one has a little learning, a little laughter, and a LOT of love and patience.

I know you don't know me from Adam... but we're going through the same thing here, too. After 10 yrs of marriage, my husband moved out this past Feb and the kids and I moved to a much cheaper rental, so we're now living about 30 miles apart. I'm committed to continue homeschooling as well, but find myself wondering how I'm going to manage to get everything done.... work (I help staff my church nursery, teach homeschool art classes, and sell Usborne), house, school, kids' therapy, much less fun time.... I just have to say that my homeschool group has been such a blessing to me that I hope you have or can get a local group of friends to help lift you up and encourage you not only in your schooling, but emotionally as well.

Since I haven't come through the other side, yet... I don't have any tips. I just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain and you're never alone no matter how often it feels that way. I just concentrate on each day as it comes and make sure each one has a little learning, a little laughter, and a LOT of love and patience.

Thank you. It is tough, but I know things could be much worse, especially if I was forced to immediately put ds in school to go back to work.

I made myself a short list of goals for today. I got in bed by1:00 but didn't get up until 9:00. :glare: Hoping to get the rest of the stuff on my little list done though so that I can feel a sense of accomplishment.

Ds has a kids party tomorrow afternoon and piano recital tomorrow night. So we have plans....for today and tomorrow. On the weekened, might go see my mom.

Hope you do ok with your situation. PM me anytime if you want.

Scarlett,

People who divorce go through the same grieving process as someone experiencing the death of a loved one. It takes time; on average, grief lasts 2 years, often longer. Don't be too hard on yourself. You don't need a kick in the pants; you need to give yourself time to feel what you feel so that healing can take place.

You may not feel motivated this school year. But if you know that homeschooling your son is the best thing you can do for him, you'll get up in the morning and do what you have to do. Focus on the basics, outsource what you can, and use curriculum that is open and go.

I'm sorry you're going through this. :grouphug:

This same message has been shared with me in nearly every post in the thread, so I am speaking to all of you...thank you. I really wasn't thinking that I needed to take it easy on myself. I was thinking I had to 'get busy'. :) A carry over I guess from years of someone making feel worthless.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I appreciate it. I have good support in real life too.

School supplies are due to arrive today! Woo Hoo!!!

Oh, Scarlett, I'm so sorry. The only thing I know to tell you is that when things get hard for me, & I feel too emotional to hs well, if I can stop & realize how glad I am to have the opportunity to do so--realize that I am doing the one thing I most want to do w/ my life--that helps a lot. For an extra kick, if I need it, I try to imagine myself some day when all my kids are grown, & I'm wishing for someone to teach something to. Since the time is finite, I want to make the most of it. I want to be really, really present *now.*

When I am able to do this, I feel better, & my kids do, too. But it's really not easy when things are tough.

(((Scarlett))) And don't be so hard on yourself. I think you're doing great.

Oh, Scarlett, I'm so sorry. The only thing I know to tell you is that when things get hard for me, & I feel too emotional to hs well, if I can stop & realize how glad I am to have the opportunity to do so--realize that I am doing the one thing I most want to do w/ my life--that helps a lot. For an extra kick, if I need it, I try to imagine myself some day when all my kids are grown, & I'm wishing for someone to teach something to. Since the time is finite, I want to make the most of it. I want to be really, really present *now.*

When I am able to do this, I feel better, & my kids do, too. But it's really not easy when things are tough.

(((Scarlett))) And don't be so hard on yourself. I think you're doing great.

Thanks Aubrey. I am doing better today. This thread and all the wonderful replies have really helped.

I was really saddened tonight when ds asked me when I thought I would get remarried. I said, 'I'm not even divorced yet. Besides even when I am, there is no guarantee that I will remarry.'

I asked him why he was so anxious for me to remarry...and he said..."It just doesn't feel like we are a real family anymore." :(

Thanks Aubrey. I am doing better today. This thread and all the wonderful replies have really helped.

I was really saddened tonight when ds asked me when I thought I would get remarried. I said, 'I'm not even divorced yet. Besides even when I am, there is no guarantee that I will remarry.'

I asked him why he was so anxious for me to remarry...and he said..."It just doesn't feel like we are a real family anymore." :(

Oh, your poor little guy :( I know it won't be an easy journey, but I believe you'll both be stronger at the end of it. And your relationship with him will be stronger too :grouphug:

Oh goodness, what a bummer. I remember being haunted by a pop song line about "love lasts awhile, but it looked like forever in the first place". I was derailed for years. I coped and functioned, but the spark that made life worth living wasn't there. I just kept on hoping that spark would come back.

Math did it for me. I got wrapped up in the idea of teaching my little guy math and read everything I could. So, I would say, in the lingo of the times, The Next Big Thing needs to be found.

Home school was for it for me. I hope you get so excited when your stuff arrives you can barely force yourself to turn out the light at night.

Edited by kalanamak

Sometimes I find that you have to have a little pity party - really grieve for what you have lost. Otherwise that grief will come back and bite ya in the butt when ya least expect it. You have a few weeks for this.

It also helps when you have something to look forward to.

So when you get back to your routine of schooling and now you miss the end of the day husband return - you will need to replace it with something else. Maybe a walk with your son. Or a cup of cammomile tea. Something nice that you do for yourself or for the two of you. Put aside 15 minutes to an hour and call that your speciel time and do something nice every evening.

I am glad you will continue home schooling. Keep some kind of normalacy.

Sometimes I find that you have to have a little pity party - really grieve for what you have lost. Otherwise that grief will come back and bite ya in the butt when ya least expect it. You have a few weeks for this.

It also helps when you have something to look forward to.

So when you get back to your routine of schooling and now you miss the end of the day husband return - you will need to replace it with something else. Maybe a walk with your son. Or a cup of cammomile tea. Something nice that you do for yourself or for the two of you. Put aside 15 minutes to an hour and call that your speciel time and do something nice every evening.

I am glad you will continue home schooling. Keep some kind of normalacy.

Yes and staying in our house too. I know it could be much worse.

Your idea of creating new routines is great. Thank you.

Honey, I don't think you need any more kicking at all! You are sweet, passionate, caring, and really special and you're going through an incredibly difficult time - and your responses to it are perfectly normal and nothing to beat youself up over! :grouphug:

Maybe as the fog fades you'll find some old interest or enthusiasms waking up, or new ones budding... and you can come share all your enthusiasm with us!

Your entire post was a soothing balm to my soul. Thank you. I will be referring back to it often.

My neighbor who works from home, just called ds and me over for a mid day swim. Very nice. Spent a couple of hours in the pool relaxing in the sun and talking to her. It felt frivilous, but I am not going to feel guilty.

Thanks again so much.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I don't know how I missed this thread until now! I haven't been online much in the past several days, but I still can't believe I didn't see it!

Scarlett, I'm so sorry for what you're going through, but I truly believe that you will come out better, stronger, and happier on the other end of all of this. You are a wonderful person and a caring mom, and both you and your son will get through this and you'll be ok.

Your soon-to-be-ex-husband is losing out on a terrific family.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Cat