Menu

WWE...which level?

truebluexf

DS did FLL first grade last year...if we had in WWE this year...should he get the level 1 or 2 workbook? His handwriting needs lots of work LOL....he's a typical boy in that aspect.

I agree level 1 is a good starting point. Plus it gives you time for new levels to come out.

Heather

• 2 weeks later...

I was revisiting this tonight and wondering...really? Because I was thinking that FLL does a lot of what WWE 1 is supposed to do, isn't it? Just on a lesser scale? I would think it would be better to have the lessons in WWE line up with the ones in FLL, but I could be wrong. I'm not particularly concerned about later levels...it wouldn't be a good reason, for me, to hold DS back, kwim? I wish I could SEE them both lol...I'm tempted to get them both, since we have a few lessons of FLL1 to finish up at the beginning of the year, and do the end of WWE1 with that, then start WWE2 with FLL2. I have more kids to use the books so it's all something I'd have to purchase eventually anyway, lol.

I was revisiting this tonight and wondering...really? Because I was thinking that FLL does a lot of what WWE 1 is supposed to do, isn't it? Just on a lesser scale? I would think it would be better to have the lessons in WWE line up with the ones in FLL, but I could be wrong. I'm not particularly concerned about later levels...it wouldn't be a good reason, for me, to hold DS back, kwim? I wish I could SEE them both lol...I'm tempted to get them both, since we have a few lessons of FLL1 to finish up at the beginning of the year, and do the end of WWE1 with that, then start WWE2 with FLL2. I have more kids to use the books so it's all something I'd have to purchase eventually anyway, lol.

The narration in FLL 1 is a lot more gentle...in fact I only remember the picture based narrations that were based on observation. WWE will give you 2 narrations a week where you read the text and have them answer a series of questions and then have them tell you one thing they remembered, which you write out for them and they then use as copywork. The other two days you work simply on copywork, with some gentle grammar work (find the pronoun, the action verb or the proper noun kind of thing). It is working on the same stuff as FLL, but in a slightly different way and a higher volume.

In WWE you begin to introduce dictation as well. I haven't started it yet so I don't have an overall feel for it yet. I do know that it moves from having the child tell you one thing to having them actually summarize the passage.

I guess it would come down to do you think your ds is ready to do dictation and will be up to summarizing? Do you think he needs some time to get used to hearing the passages and answering questions before doing summaries?

On being behind, it probably depends on where you are going.

My 2nd dd had a horrible time doing summary narrations. She started out doing CM detailed narrations fine, then one day started telling them like a play (he said, she said even when it wasn't in the text) and no matter what example or metaphor I tried I couldn't help her get back to doing CM narrations or summary narrations. I started her in WWE 1 and by the time she was half way through she could do CM narrations again (yea), but is still struggling with summaries, so this year I will have her do both WWE 2 and Classical Writing Aesop. She doesn't need the summary skills in Classical Writing till Homer, so by doing both she should "catch up" and have the skill she needs when she needs them. But she will be a 4th grader doing WWE 2.

My thinking is that you will run out of WWE books, so unless you have a different program that you need him to have finished WWE by a specific time in order to start it, and that specific time requires you start with WWE 2 now, I just don't see any reason to hurry.

Heather

I guess I wonder if it will bug me if things don't line up...lol. I can see both ways being advantageous. He did fine with the summaries in FLL1, actually. I think FLL introduced them really gently, and he needed very few prompts. We got behind, but I also started FLL late...we had tried something else to begin with. There are currently 2 WWE books, correct? And 3 & 4 come out in like January, I think? That would put us with a text a year until we hit 5th grade...and maybe something else will be available by then, or maybe not. But I think there are other good programs out there I could find if needed, kwim? Especially if WWE gives my kids the outstanding base it is supposed to give. Plus, I bet, knowing us...we won't finish it 'on time' anyway lol. We get caught up in too many other things! ;) Just thinking out loud here....love hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions. :)