Menu

Tell Me More Language

winoelle

We have used it and are happy with it. It seems more in depth and delves more into grammar than Rosetta Stone. It also covers 4 years worth of instruction. That said, it expects some knowledge of the language even at the begining levels. We started out with levels 1 & 2 of RS and then moved into TMM Spanish. We also use Breaking the Spanish Barrier at each level to renforce grammar concepts. All in all it is an excellent program, but I would start with something to get your feet wet first.

Before you buy, check with your local libraries. Ours offers Tell Me More for French and Spanish plus a few more languages but I can't remember which. I like the program but my children find it uninteresting. It seems more directed toward older children and adult learners. Still, I think it's much better than Rosetta Stone.

Judy

We also get it free through the library. We didn't like Rosetta Stone at all, but my 13yo loves Tell Me More. It took a while to get the hang of it. It isn't always obvious what the program wants you to do. We had a lot of trouble with the speech recognition part of it at first, but that was actually because we needed to replace the microphone. After we replaced the microphone (which we'd had for at least 10 years), the speech recognition worked great.

Sadly our library doesn't have this or any other good language resources. My dd wants to learn French (which I do have some background in) so I thought we would give it a try I just can't decide what program to use, so thanks for all the answers so far.

Noelle

I won the Italian HS edition at he Midwest HS convention (WHOO HOO!) but we are a Mac family so it is not usable. I can't bring myself to sell it, but I am hoping that one day an old laptop will fall into my lap and we can use it.

I also bought Rosetta Stone Italian at a HS sale for $15. So, I am SOOOO lucky in the language department. Oh, and my husband is a native Italian speaker.

Sorry, I just HAD to tell someone!!!:willy_nilly:

I won the Italian HS edition at he Midwest HS convention (WHOO HOO!) but we are a Mac family so it is not usable. I can't bring myself to sell it, but I am hoping that one day an old laptop will fall into my lap and we can use it.

I also bought Rosetta Stone Italian at a HS sale for $15. So, I am SOOOO lucky in the language department. Oh, and my husband is a native Italian speaker.

Sorry, I just HAD to tell someone!!!:willy_nilly:

Wow! That's great.

It might be a library edition similiar to Rosetta Stone Library edition but it seemed comprehensive. We do not use at present since my ds is 7:)

I use Muzzy Spanish and Elementary spanish due to my ds age. Tell me More seemed better for older kids, although I could be wrong. That was just my impression.

Edited by priscilla
clarification

As far as needing some knowledge to get started, the new editions of Tell Me More now come with an introductory cd that they recommend you start with.

We own the French, but have only just started playing with it. There are lots of extras included, if you wish to delve into cultural aspects as well as language.

I bought the Spanish version and for the life of me I can't figure out how to use it!! Can someone walk me through it or tell me where to go to get more specific instructions? The booklet that came with the software seems to explain what it does in each section but I don't know how to navigate within the software itself! What am I missing, lol?

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13