Menu

History Odyssey or SOTW and AG?

parias1126

I've used both HO and SOTW+AG for the ancients and I really wish I had just started with the AG. HO is interesting because it rearranges the order of the chapters to fit in a more logical sequence. There is a to do list and recommended extra reading lists. I like the additional activities and coloring pages included in the AG. I can print off an extra coloring page for my 2½ yo and let him scribble along. The activities really bring the reading alive for my 7 yo.

HO is a nice, well laid out program. It just wasn't what I was looking for. I think it would be perfect for our second and third time around as she won't really be into coloring as much.

We switched from SOTW+AG to HO1 for Early Modern late this last year, when my younger son was nine and finishing third grade (we were/are off cycle somewhat). I would not have wanted to do so any earlier, because the AG was great, with plenty of resources, ideas, mapwork, coloring pages, and occasional projects.

Factors in my decision: my older son is using HO2, and my younger son had lost interest in coloring, we did more arts/music exploration than projects, and he really enjoys the additional reading and the mapwork -- which HO1 does well.

Take it for what it's worth :)

We LOVE HO here! The variety of activities and suggested books/videos for each unit is wonderful. There is always so much to choose from that we find something that fits perfectly. I really like the mapwork we have been doing, my daughter enjoys the history pockets and the crafts. It is all laid out so easily to schedule. We just finished Ancients and my dd cannot wait to start Middle Ages.

Noelle