Menu

Anyone here been diagnosed with a schatzki ring?

:grouphug: My grandmother has this and has been struggling iwth it for years. She has had the treatments where they stretch the esophagus and they do work. She also takes medication for GERD because that seems to aggrivate hers as well. For her she needs lots of saliva and liquids with her meals to help wash food thru. She often begins with water and soft fruit like canned peaches.

My husband had this problem. He had a endoscopic proceedure a couple of years ago. The proceedure worked great. He was also given a prescription for nexium or something like that but found that he could take an over the counter acid reducer which was cheaper. He sometimes has problems with choking still but usually it is because he eats too fast and doesn't cut up and chew his food properly. He had another endoscopy this winter but no sign of the build up again.

If you haven't seen a doctor, I would suggest that you make an appointment. If you do have an endoscopy it just takes a couple of hours including prep, the proceedure and recovery. My husband went back to work after his morning appointment. But I think he also was given something to wake him up quickly...not so with his first one...he was groggy all afternoon.

My dh had the "choking" issue for years! He finally had an endoscopy last October and they found the rings. They put in the balloon and stretched the esophagus and he has not had a single episode since.

The procedure was completely painless and he now takes Prilosec to control his reflux.

It is very scary to deal with that food getting stuck! It's scary for the person it's happening to and it's scary for those watching it happen. I hope you find a solution.:grouphug:

We haven't been diagnosed, but my dad has had this happen repeatedly, once where it was so bad he had to go to the ER so they could treat him in order to open his esophagus and let the food pass. He will not go for diagnosis though. He's a stubborn man, that one. I've had one bad episode of choking and many minor ones, and have noticed a reduction in the occurrence since I started paying attention to my reflux, eating better, and losing some weight. I do see a diagnosis in my future though.

I'm sorry you went through that. Yes, it's terrifying for all involved :grouphug: