Menu

Do You Allow Your Kids Free Access to the Kitchen?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We mostly allow free access, except for the hour before dinner. Ds is another who will fill up on snacks and not eat veggies at dinner if given the opportunity. We keep cheese, yogurt, fruit, tortillas, and sandwich stuff stocked, but if it gets eaten early in the week, it is just gone. I shop once a week, period. We occasionally have sweets in the house, but ds knows they are only for after dinner if he ate a good meal. He also helps with the meal planning and goes shopping with me, so he usually knows when something is for a specific recipe.

Yes. My kids are teens. Although when we have fudgesicles, I alert everyone to their impending doom if they eat them all.

Last week, 24 fudgesicles disappeared in less than 24 hours. They were eaten by the 4 males pigs in this house.

Do the math if you wonder why I think they are oinkers.

I put out a plate of veggies every morning. The kids can graze on that. If they want something other than that, they need to ask. If we are within an hour or so of a major meal, I say, "No." If they've been mowing the lawn and they are now starved, I'm more likely to say, "Yes."