Menu

My almost 15yo w/be in 10th next year; want 'easier' sked of higher classes

Hi,

My rising 10th grader has taken alg 1 and 2 and geometry [almost finished with geometry]; and all her history and english etc except one year. She is interested in science and a good student. She is involved in swimming 3-4x evenings a week and AWANA 2 nights a week. I want a 5credit schedule for her for next year [10th gr] - any thoughts on my plan...

Here is my plan for her....

Literature/English/IEW/Essay writing - 1 credit

Spanish III - 1/2 to 1 credit [possibly 1/2 credit of Latin]

Apologia Anatomy and Phys Biology [dtr wants to do this] - 1 credit

MATH.... precalculus [bJU or ......... need suggestions] - 1 credit

Govt/Econ [may take at local high school or private school...... or BJU or with me] - need curriculum suggestions....

I guess I am wondering if anyone can help me think outside the box - esp on the Govt/Econ and Lit/writing classes..... Money is tight so I don't think we can swing online tuition classes or local colleges.

I have 3 other littles and I seem to be hitting a roadblock on curriculum ideas for this dtr. I think her older sister who is needing most of the same above classes will be at a community college.

thanks - LISAJ, mom to 5

not easy in terms of material to be covered.

IOW, we usually have 6 daily 1-hr classes plus 1-2 hours of homework for 2-3 of those classes, plus piano, swimming and AWANA Bible club.

This year, I only want 5 '1 hr classes' so I'm trying to figure what to cut. Last year, we did Spanish and Latin - so this year, we'll drop one [Latin probably] or just do 1 semester of each....

We have other family night activities and need to limit some things for my sanity level...

lisaj, mom to 5

We're going to do Gov't/Econ next year for 9th grade and I'll probably use Landmark's Freedom Baptist Curriculum (LFBC). We used their World History last year and are using their US History this year.

LFBC is very easy to implement - totally independent and open & go which is what I'm assuming you're hoping to find? The student studies a topic for 4 days (usually M-Th) and takes a quiz on the 5th day. There are cumulative tests every 9 weeks.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=31853&event=1016LCA|1770019|1016

Or how about Notgrass for Government (1 semester) and Whatever Happened to Penny Candy for Economics?

I haven't used these yet, but they are ones I'm considering.

We are using Notgrass Exploring government. It is set up very well. For economics you could use Sowell's Basic Economics or see if you can get the Teaching Company's Economics course secondhand. If you can get it on tape, she could listen to it in the car. I've also heard Abeka's economics course is pretty good.

Veronica

Edited by Veronica in VA
typos - sigh

I'm going to use Declaration Statesmanship along with "Literary Lessons from Economics". The latter is an econ book that teaches through examples in classic literature. My college Eng 101/102 was based on this same idea, so I figure DS can get both Econ and Eng/Lit credit for it.

(eg: this is to give .5 for a Am Gvt course and .5 for an Econ/Civics course, but will also give a full Eng credit)

a

I'm going to use Declaration Statesmanship along with "Literary Lessons from Economics". The latter is an econ book that teaches through examples in classic literature. My college Eng 101/102 was based on this same idea, so I figure DS can get both Econ and Eng/Lit credit for it.

(eg: this is to give .5 for a Am Gvt course and .5 for an Econ/Civics course, but will also give a full Eng credit)

a

Do you have a link for the Economics book? That sounds great but I couldn't find it on google.