Menu

How much would you tip in this situation?

So, IF I were to leave a cash tip in an envelope and specified -$10 for the waitress only, $1 for the busboy, or similarly- would that be "kosher"? Would that be respected by TPTB?

JGriff--what you are saying is something *I* as a server would appreciate, but I can guarentee you my boss won't allow it--I'd still be forced to tip what HE thought I should be tipping out. So while you leave the restaurant thinking you did the right thing or a good thing(and it is), I'd still get the shaft on my end from my supervisor.

And Colleen, you are free to disagree. This business is pretty much all I've done since I was 16 years old, I know what a "good tip" is and what isn't. I guess I'm just glad that I make up for the loss that others don't or won't accept. Servers get shafted more times than I can even begin to describe in words.

By the same token, "serving" me as a customer is not on par with "working" for me. Your terms are misplaced. You work for your employer, and your work includes serving customers. If you work in the industry and you don't like the way it plays out, either get a different job or work to change the system, but don't begrudge those of us who are leaving perfectly reasonable tips.

I'm so very sorry to disagree with you, but my terms are in the exact spot they belong--I am working for YOU the customer. That I am working for TGIs is just the building I work in. I work for you, the customer, because it is you, the customer who basically pays me. If you, the customer, chooses not to enter an establishment, it means I don't get paid--whether that pay is in the form of a tip I could have received from you had you entered and been served by me or in the form of a day on my paycheck--which I missed because I was sent home due to no business.

So yes, I am emphatically working for YOU, the customer.

And I so love the "don't like it get a different job" argument. Such the strawman argument if I ever saw one. Lay the blame in the wrong place. I've already said the industry needs to be changed, but not just for servers, ALL around.

Maybe I should have said "It's kind of lousy for someone to ONLY leave a 15% tip because that's all they feel they should have to give, when I busted my rump making sure they got spot on service in every way possible". Yes, $2 is $2 more than I had going in there, but if my job depends on how I treat you and I treat you better than I treat my kids, I would really appreciate you showing me so. And $2 doesn't show it.

By the way, the industry standard is 15 TO 20% or more..

http://www.tip20.com/div/con/index.html (I'd encourage my detractors to read this link. It is very informative and backs me up (the important part) :) ... it even has a tipping standard for other countries--which only shows that some don't know too much about it, because France, the biggest one brought up, does expect a tip for their servers.. Should read the articles below the tables as well, because it says what I and others have said, much less heatedly, of course).

Sonic is the exception to take out service. Having a sister that worked there years ago, I think you should tip there. They even hold nights where a school group can work and their tips benefit their group.

I've never seen a carhop on rollerskates. Do they still do that?

Yep--got a Sonic right up the road. Pity I don't care for their food though (for some reason it makes me sick--with a headache)... I would love to work there, if only I could skate. ;)

My mother raised two kids working as a waitress. We never had much money, but she would tell you what she has taught us: TIPS stands for To Insure Proper Service.

Yeah, I've heard that little jingle before and I find it kinda sad, to be honest. My job, if I'm a server, is to provide proper service, tip or no tip.

The site Toni linked says that you should tip a hotel housekeeper $2-$5 per night. I've worked as a hotel housekeeper (although for a short time), and I can tell you that's not standard or expected around here. It is a nice surprise if someone leaves you a tip, but none of the staff expected it in the least. We were just happy if the people didn't trash the rooms or steal items causing us to go on a search for replacements. That said, having worked as a housekeeper, which has got to be one of the most underappreciated jobs, I try to leave a hotel room extra tidy and often do tip.

I was wondering if in Canada the waiters are depend on tips. Do they also only make a few dollars an hour?

Not in my province! All employers are required to pay at least minimum wage no matter what the job. As of April 1st, minimum wage will be $8.50/hour.

People here are notoriously low tippers (like 10% or even less). Tips are considered to be for EXTRA good service, not average service.

FWIW, I came from the states, so I know it's totally different down south, and even very different from one state to the next. I used to tip at least 20% because I, too, knew the toil of being a bartender and waitress. Although, to be fair, I made sh*t loads of money in tips as a bartender in a college town. There were even times when I told my manager he could forego paying me my hourly, if he'd let me work Thursday nights (which for some reason were "let's-get-totally-smashed" nights) and for home game Saturdays. Talk about mucho dinero! No one tips better than drunk football fans.

Yeah, I've heard that little jingle before and I find it kinda sad, to be honest. My job, if I'm a server, is to provide proper service, tip or no tip.

Well, I think that To Insure Proper Service is the idea in not paying full minimum wage. I suppose they could be paid a full wage with no expectation of tips. I'd have no problem with that, but I bet a lot of good waitresses would. My mom usually made more than minimum wage because she was a good waitress. Yeah, people should do their job no matter what, but if you aren't receiving a full wage and are doing your job well and still getting stiffed, it kinda stinks.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, though. Do you think it's wrong to be expected to provide a tip? Do you think it's wrong that waitresses are expected to make up the rest of their wage with tips?

Not in my province! All employers are required to pay at least minimum wage no matter what the job. As of April 1st, minimum wage will be $8.50/hour.

I'm moving to Audrey's Province!! I would gladly work tables for almost $9 an hour, with a smile and zero expectation.

And PrairieAir--do you know how much hotel cleaners make? Down here, it's around $7 and hour. So the tip thing probably came from that. I've heard of cleaning staff making more an hour, but it's another job with a high turnover rate.

I do try to leave at least $2 per person, per night of stay though. Especially since I make demands of lots of towels, frequently. ;)

I'm moving to Audrey's Province!!

Yay!!! There's a super nice house in my little town that's for sale. 3 bdrms & 1 bath upstairs, plus a finished basement with 2 more bdrms & a bath there. I think they're asking a bit less than $80K. And, the restaurant is always looking for a reliable mature server (as opposed to the teen girls). If you want to roller skate, the drive-in (restaurant) will be open for the season sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Of course, you would need to invest in a snow blower, as the house I mentioned is vacant at the moment and as of the last dump of snow, there's about a 4ft. drift in the drive. On second thought... maybe I'll just get dh to lend you one of the tractors. ;)

So... your plane is arriving when?

I'll get over it ;) How do they pay teachers? Do the garbage men make more than tenured teachers?

The MB Teacher's Union has a stranglehold on salaries here. They are excellent. Here's a link to an chart with averages. MB is in the top of the middle range.

There is a shortage of teachers in the rural areas, btw. *not-so-subtle-nudge*

Yay!!! There's a super nice house in my little town that's for sale. 3 bdrms & 1 bath upstairs, plus a finished basement with 2 more bdrms & a bath there. I think they're asking a bit less than $80K. And, the restaurant is always looking for a reliable mature server (as opposed to the teen girls). If you want to roller skate, the drive-in (restaurant) will be open for the season sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Of course, you would need to invest in a snow blower, as the house I mentioned is vacant at the moment and as of the last dump of snow, there's about a 4ft. drift in the drive. On second thought... maybe I'll just get dh to lend you one of the tractors. ;)

So... your plane is arriving when?

Dude, when the snow thaws... ;) and I've got to somehow convince DH that this is a good thing.. hehehe..

Honestly though, I really do wish the industry wasn't so reliant on tips. When I worked at the bowling alley, I was paid $6.50 an hr PLUS tips and I made good tips there, but I never cried because I made hourly that was decent enough and I worked enough hours to cover a "bad" night.

I hate having to rely on people for my pay--I bend over backwards to serve you properly and all you feel I am worth is $2? I won't be happy. kwim?

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, though. Do you think it's wrong to be expected to provide a tip? Do you think it's wrong that waitresses are expected to make up the rest of their wage with tips?

I prefer the European standard wherein service is already included and tips are a means of showing added appreciation.

The MB Teacher's Union has a stranglehold on salaries here. They are excellent. Here's a link to an chart with averages. MB is in the top of the middle range.

There is a shortage of teachers in the rural areas, btw. *not-so-subtle-nudge*

I may just be forwarding this on to DH. ::wink:: That's more than he's ever made... hmmmm... I've always wanted to live in Canada.. Manitoba, right?

I prefer the European standard wherein service is already included and tips are a means of showing added appreciation.

Hmm, according to my link, this "European Standard" is part myth as even England expects 10% if no service charge is clearly marked. So you would be stiffing someone by assuming there is this standard.

I may just be forwarding this on to DH. ::wink:: That's more than he's ever made... hmmmm... I've always wanted to live in Canada.. Manitoba, right?

Yep. They're questioning whether they should reconsider our slogan. Forever it was "Friendly Manitoba." Then, someone (not) brilliant decided that wasn't good enough and they came up with this stupid campaign and now our slogan is "Spirited Energy." Dude, that sounds like a euphemism for when someone farts.

Now, there are whole call-in shows where people are giving their suggestions. Mine is this: Manitoba, we're in the middle!

And it's totally, totally true, too. We're always in the middle on everything -- geographically? in the middle! Income? in the middle! Cost of living? Yep, you guessed it, in the middle! Amount spent on healthcare? In the middle! Oh yeah, did I mention you get your universal healthcare here, so that wage your dh will be making? Don't bother deducting your healthcare from that cheque. (And, we spell it c-h-e-q-u-e here. You'll get used to it.)

At this Rick Steves page, you can read what Europeans themselves have to say about tipping in their respective countries http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/eurotips.htm.

Now, I will say that in my experience, service here in the States is far superior to that in Europe. So one can of course argue that the reason is because servers here rely on good tips.

Now, I will say that in my experience, service here in the States is far superior to that in Europe. So one can of course argue that the reason is because servers here rely on good tips.

I am only relying on outside links as I've never been out of the states, so I'll take your word for it on the service part. I've heard the opposite but who knows...maybe their server had a bad day. All I know is that *I* do rely on tips and as a result your reasoning will be true--you are going to get superior service from me.

And Audrey, I think DH would love you for suggesting that. ;)

Ok--this "Madame Peepee" (on Colleen's link, in France), CRACKS me up!!!! ;)

There are restaurants here that automatically include a tip/service fee for carry out. The cashier doesn't take the order... one of the wait staff comes and takes the order, and they follow through with it and check it and make sure it's boxed up properly, etc. In other words, they serve you the same way they serve people sitting at a table, except that your table isn't being bused. Usually it's something like 10% added to the bill. But these are fulll service restaurants, pretty nice ones, not counter service... I wouldn't tip at counter service either. At our local cafeteria, they've started having service staff getting your refills,etc., not wait service but bus service... and they imply you should leave a tip. This always bothers me... I have to stand in line to get my food, and carry it to my table, and get my own drinks, and they want me to tip someone for offering to refill my tea? I wonder if they do this so that they can cut down on payroll expenses... instead of minimum wage they can pay them wait staff wages and force those poor people to solicit tips.

I agree that it's gotten out of hand. The Starbucks Drive through window even has a tip jar! So does the cashier at my local donut shop. Crazy!

I would contact the manager and let him know that you overheard the servers talking bad about your tip. That is a no-no in any restaurant that I have worked in. Even if you are upset, you are not supposed to let the customer know.

Second, it would never cross my mind to tip at a restaurant where a server wasn't doing any of the work. That seems crazy to me.

Third, I have only worked as a waitress in states that were required to pay minimum wage, but I think it is odd that the government makes exceptions to the min. wage rule.

When dh and I were much younger and poorer we went to a somewhat nice restaurant. Well, we didn't leave enough tip in the server's mind and he/she chased us out the door and confronted us. I couldn't believe it. Needless to say, we never went back.

People here are notoriously low tippers (like 10% or even less). Tips are considered to be for EXTRA good service, not average service.

So that is why my dh is so cheap when it comes time to leave a tip! :D I'm from the US (he's Canadian) and I am always making him leave more money than he normally does. But I used to be a waitress too, so I know what they've gotta put up with!

You know, it's kind of funny that a message about tipping has gotten so many responses :D Are we very bored tonight?

The site Toni linked says that you should tip a hotel housekeeper $2-$5 per night. I've worked as a hotel housekeeper (although for a short time), and I can tell you that's not standard or expected around here. It is a nice surprise if someone leaves you a tip, but none of the staff expected it in the least. We were just happy if the people didn't trash the rooms or steal items causing us to go on a search for replacements. That said, having worked as a housekeeper, which has got to be one of the most underappreciated jobs, I try to leave a hotel room extra tidy and often do tip.

I tip hotel housekeepers. :) Usually $2...not $5.

• 2 weeks later...
That is a bit much--getting tipped for gasing airplanes? Isn't that what he makes a good wage for? If he worked on the private jet, being a butler of sorts, I could see it.. but for gasing the planes up?

well, since dh is a pilot, i can add a bit about the aviation industry :-)

w/ private/ charter jets, time is usually critical. Clients want to get from point A to point B quickly --that's why they are paying the bucks for a private plane. Tips are a way to make sure that everyone does their job promptly w/o dawdling. There tends to be a lot of discord between pilots and those who service the plane --many pilots tend to be "holier than thou" and have a God complex and look down on the guys who service the planes. Those service guys notice it and tend to react w/ a slower "My world doesn't revolve around YOU" kinda thing. DH knows better -he treats everyone in the service line w/ a ton of respect so he can get off the ground, get the plane put away, and get home :-)

Traveling to mexico is a pain --you gotta have all kinds of bribe money available or they find "something" wrong w/ your paperwork that will hold you up for hours. Hiring a handler to make sure the process is smooth is typical.

dh as a pilot does not usually get a tip, and he doesn't expect one. He's making a Great salary right now. But about once a year someone drops him a $500 tip. They split it between the pilots :) Pierce Brosnan gave him an extra bottle of some fancy expensive wine. The kids just like it when he brings home leftover catering --sandwiches, cokes, fruit & cheese trays, etc. lol....

but tips in general in other industries aren't unheard of --even CEO's get bonuses. Or extra 'tips' for doing an outstanding job.

--------------------------------

I do wish the tip thing was NOT tied into income --i much prefer to just pay a set amount for my food w/o needing to calculate Yet Another Fee on top of it.

That being said, I don't tip unless I'm sitting down in their restaurant and someone is bringing me something [fast food excepted], or for pizza delivery.

But at a restaurant, w/ 5 kids, i tip Very well even if the service is just "ok" --hey, i know that "ok" service is still a challenge w/ 5 kids, lol.

I told dh that if it's just *us*, then everytime he asks for something after the initial order [refill, butter, salsa, extra napkins, etc] he should bump up the percentage a point, starting from 15, lol.