Menu

Suggestions for reading help

hmschooln

Hi. I'm trying to find something to help my second grader with breaking words apart to sound them out. When he gets to a three or four syllable word a lot of the time he just kind of refuses to break it apart on his own. Any ideas what we could try? Thanks.

Is there anyway that this could be a tracking issue? My daughter is a struggling reader and for years I thought she was just being lazy and skimming the words because she didn't feel like taking the time to sound them out properly. Then I discovered that she has eye tracking issues. Her eyes physically don't move the way they are supposed to. I did not notice the problem until we got into longer words. We have done exercises to help improve her eye strength and she has dramatically improved.

Hi. I'm trying to find something to help my second grader with breaking words apart to sound them out. When he gets to a three or four syllable word a lot of the time he just kind of refuses to break it apart on his own. Any ideas what we could try? Thanks.

Have you taken him through any kind of phonics program to learn to read? If so, I'd go back and review the material. If not, I'd recommend doing so. I like OPGTR and WRTR.

Or, if you've done the phonics program, you can also just slow down his reading and when he gets to a multi-syllable word, cover up all but the first syllable and let him sound them out, one at a time.

We did use OPGTR. I have done the covering up and having him sound the rest out and then he does fine, I'm just not sure how to get him to do it without my help. Thanks for all the replys.

It took my daughter awhile to get confident in sounding out multi-syllable words by herself - she didn't like doing it, but I kept at it a little bit every day. Sometimes only a sentence or two, too. And, she finally got confident enough to do it herself, but when she reads aloud to me, I frequently still have to stop her and have her sound out something one syllable at a time.

It sounds like he sort of panics when he comes to a longer word. He may not WANT to work through either because it makes him sound "stupid" as the words don't flow out as shorter words do or he's eager to understand the story and thinks guessing will get him there quicker and easier. If this is the case there are a couple of things you could try.

1. Add in lessons that are just long words. Do it every day. Webster's Blue-backed Speller has a large number of words to work through.

2. Purchase a program called Rewards which is specifically geared for multisyllabic words.

3. If he CAN do it, but WON'T or DOESN'T, you might try dealing with his unwillingness with external motivation. Give him a piece of candy or some other reward for each word he successfully works through on his own, plus a bigger treat if he works through all his multisyllabic words on his own.

If none of these work after a while, write back and we can brainstorm some more!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(1)