Menu

George Wythe and Patrick Henry

Cindy in MO

My daughter is interested in these things too but we have to rule out PHC. I believe that college is a time for our children to develop their own identies. WHile I am looking at more conservative college campuses, I am against legalistic institutions since my dd already has strong tendencies towards legalism. I would strongly recommend reading the student life handbooks at any college you are considering for your child since they give clear indications of potential problems. In one college, it was the cookies and condoms that clued us in that this was not the place. In another, it was mandatory chapel five days a week with card swiping to make sure. With PHC, there were a few issues we disagree with including the no social dancing of any kind since some may be offended plus there stand on 6 day creation. I don't know anything about George Wythe but do know that I think it would be very hard to get into a graduate or professional school without a degree from an acreditated school,

That's a good idea to check out the student life handbooks. PH is probably out for us too because of $, but I am still intrigued. Just because they take a 6-day stand doesn't mean a student has to agree. The 'no dancing' will be the main reason PH is out. We're Christian, but I guess not as conservative as some. My boys don't like such rigid restrictions, although I can see the point.

Cindy

Just a note about the dancing or lack thereof at Patrick Henry - the oldest dd of my good friend is a student at PH and has enjoyed attending many social dances. I don't know if these are held on the school campus, but they are affiliated with the student body. These are dress-up affairs (gowns and tuxes) and feature ballroom dancing. Thought you might like to know that elegant dancing is approved of at PH!

Blessings,

April

I was just reading their handbook that is on their website. What actually happens can be different but for my daughter it wouldn't be. My dd tends towards legalism and I am not one to encourage that so I think I will try to send her to a more grace based place if she goes to a Christian school.

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody please tell me the secret of how to get PH to respond to phone calls or emails.

I have contacted admissions several times. Called during standard business hours and have never gotten through to a live person. I have left my personal info and requested a return call or email - and nothing!

More than once.

This worries me about this college.

• 2 months later...

I just drove by this campus a couple weeks ago. It looks so nice! So dignified!

I only know two things about PHC: one of the cashiers at Trader Joe's (over the summer) goes there. Very nice young gentleman, full of good humor and polite. He said he loved it! And secondly, I actually know one of the professors in the government department. She is a wonderful woman, I think a double PhD in philosophy. Astonishingly smart! She was teaching at George Mason U but found it so depressing because the students weren't really engaged in learning. She said by contrast PHC was heaven. The students come already so well prepared and are so actively engaged in learning that it is a delight to teach them.

Ds will be a junior, and is leaning towards liberal arts/poli-sci and law school. These two are intriguing to me and I would appreciate your comments. I am aware that GW is not accredited at this time.

Thanks,

Cindy

I would find out two things: the percent of PH students accepted that applied to accredited law schools and the law firms and employers that actively recruit from GW. Are the GW kids getting hired? Are they passing the bar *the first time* and at what rate?

These are questions I'd look into,

Lisa (former litigator)

While dd has wanted to reconsider PHC, we have had to tell her unfortunately no. It doesn't accept any federal funding and that includes financial aid of any kind that comes from the government. In our case, our middle one is getting her father's GI bill and that is what's paying for her college. We can't afford 24k at this time.

While dd has wanted to reconsider PHC, we have had to tell her unfortunately no. It doesn't accept any federal funding and that includes financial aid of any kind that comes from the government. In our case, our middle one is getting her father's GI bill and that is what's paying for her college. We can't afford 24k at this time.

I would be surprised to find many students who pay $24,000. We have a friend who attends and after various discounts the tuition package was set at $16,000. I know you have other reasons, but I wouldn't let this be a deterrent without investigating further.

Swing dancing is also very popular.

Just a note about the dancing or lack thereof at Patrick Henry - the oldest dd of my good friend is a student at PH and has enjoyed attending many social dances. I don't know if these are held on the school campus, but they are affiliated with the student body. These are dress-up affairs (gowns and tuxes) and feature ballroom dancing. Thought you might like to know that elegant dancing is approved of at PH!

Blessings,

April

• 2 weeks later...

Re: PHC, I would carefully look at the charges that PHC has a very narrow undersanding of evangelical Christianity, and make sure that this is a good fit. In particular, consider the resignation of nearly 1/3 of the faculty of a couple of years ago. A student in my graduate program went to PHC, and would describe the preparation as adequate but very narrow ideologically.

Here is a link from World Magazine, which is not a publication that would go out of its way to attack PHC.