Menu

Where to find maternity clothes??

Ok ladies, this is a bit of a desperate cry here! Where do I find maternity clothes? When I was prego the first time, I had no problem finding stuff. Now most of the stores have cleared out their sections and the XL stuff I'm finding so far doesn't fit NOW, let alone in a few months! I'm 12 weeks as of Friday, and yes I gained more in this first trimester than I intended. I had lost weight at Curves (can you tell this is a sensitive topic?) and went from an XL or even occasional 1X in the women's (CJ Banks) down to an XL and was even into just a plain Large in Misses. So when I gained my little chunk this trimester, I'm back in my XL misses stuff. I figured XL maternity was cut to be bigger than XL misses, right? No, this stuff doesn't even fit now!!! Like I can put it on, but it's tight across the back and I look like a plump sausage, not a buxomous, prego beauty. (note the wishful thinking) ;)

As far as skirts, well some of the ones I had from my plumper days are still working fine. Most don't fit anymore, but I'm making do with the two that still fit and a couple jumpers (14W) that were previously too big. I bought a 22W skirt, which accomodates my bloating abdomen (yes, I know it's not my uterus, but it sure is dramatic!), but it's too heavy, hurts the belly, and is way too big in the leg area. (Sorry to anyone who benefits from a 22W!)

So if skirts aren't going to work for this, and if I'm returning all those XL maternity tees that don't fit to Kohl's, then what in the WORLD do I do??? I can't wear pants (dh), so it has to be dresses, jumpers, etc. It doesn't have to be denim, hehe, but it does have to be a dress/skirt/jumper and it has to end up with a relatively high neck, meaning almost everything I saw in my online searches is excluded. I mean the stuff I found online left me so discouraged I thought the stores would be better. Then the stores were a miss! I don't have the energy to hit every mall in the big city an hour away looking for something that might not be there. I need to either plunk out to buy or sew. My goal is to make my regular clothes last till the end of the month and maybe keep down the weight gain, so I have some time to order online or sew. Any ideas? Guess I'm just discouraged, what with having tried all the local stores *and* and the BabiesRUs today. Thought I'd buy new maternity underwear, and now I guess only teens have babies, because they thought I'd want boy-style shorts (it actually says this on the package!) and THONGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whew! :eek:

My ds is now two so I haven't had to deal with maternity clothes for a while, but I remember even then the styles were beginning to be very teenager-y. As a 40-yo mom, I don't really want under-the-belly jeans no matter what my size or condition!

Since the newer stuff isn't working out, have you tried thrift stores? Not an appealing choice for some, but I was able to find more modest styles there. And in our area, the children's clothing consignment sales are cranking up; some of them also have maternity clothes. Maybe you could find some things to tide you over, at least. My heart goes out to you in your quest!

Penny's used to carry larger maternity sizes, but I think you have to order from the catalog.

I had several jumpers that I lived in my last pregnancy. (Try finding maternity wear when you start in a 3x! Good thing I lost 45 lbs while I was preggers.) I could wear a stretchy t-shirt underneath the jumper or even cut the sides if I needed more expansion room. I made the jumpers...it was cheaper than trying to buy them. (I bought cotton at Wal Mart for next to nothing....sometimes you can find great stuff in their $1 a yard bin.)

You might find some sources here: http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/

(Looking forward to seeing you at convention!)

I've had the best success with the thrift stores. I tried on some stuff at department stores a few weeks ago, but it was disgusting. The styles weren't flattering to my "already been pregnant & nursed four children" bOOks. The cute little (emphasis on little) tops with the line of elastic that was supposed to go UNDER the bOOks and over the belly wouldn't fit under the bOOks. I could put it there, but as soon as I moved it moved back up. All the new pants and skirts have the "under the belly styling." (1) I don't trust them to stay up and (2) Nobody wants to see my belly with the road maps from the 4 previous kids.

I came home from shopping freaking out, but then DH went on an expedition in the garage and found my tote of maternity clothes. AHHHHHH. My hero. I ordered a few more things off ebay and now I'm set. I'm also going to try my hand revamping some skirts. Here are some instructions.