Menu

MFW 5-year cycle question

LAmom

I did send an email to My Father's World, but also thought maybe someone here could help me. Here it is:

Hello--

I am planning on starting my daughter (6) in first grade this school year 2009. I have 3 younger children in addition to her and was trying to figure out how this would all work out. My question is in regards to 3rd grade, in that I am not understanding what my daughter would do for 3rd grade (year 2011 age 8) after doing Adventures in 2nd grade.

If you can help.... 2009 school year I will have a 6yo, 4yo, 2yo and baby.

When the 6yo is done with 1st, she does Adventures in 2nd. When I have an 8yo in 3rd grade the next child will only be starting 1st grade. Do I just start my 8yo in the first cycle and she ends up repeating the 1st cycle in 8th grade? Am I understanding that correctly?

Does she miss out to only repeat the first cycle? She will then start high school versus repeat the cycle at an older age?

Hope this makes sense. If you can help, I would appreciate it. Maybe I answered my own question.

Here are my childrens ages as of school year 2009/10:

6yo (first grade)

4yo

2yo

baby (June 2009)

Hi,

You're right.

My son did ECC in 3rd grade.

We're a little behind due to family illness, but some time in 8th grade he'll do ECC again. He won't get to do all of it again, but whatever he gets in will be a great foundation before starting high school.

Julie

Thank you. Since my oldest will only repeat cycle one, do you think she is missing out by repeating the other cycles at an older age? Or do you think repeating the cycles like my 2nd child will do is too redundant?

The history cycle repeats with grade appropriate material in high school so your oldest will get through the cycle again.

Just to make sure I am on the same page as you, the oldest child will do 1st, Adventures in 2nd and then ECC in 3rd. Your other children will move into her history cycle when they are in 2nd.

Hope that makes sense!

do you think she is missing out by repeating the other cycles at an older age? Or do you think repeating the cycles like my 2nd child will do is too redundant?

I think all learning is repeated in cycles at gradually deeper levels.

I also think there are trade-offs. One child in a large family may start the history cycle in the middle. However, that child will have older siblings and a parent who are excellent teachers at that point. He'll also have more fun learning with a group than a single child who is in the most carefully chosen sequence imaginable.

I think all your kids will have fun and learn lots!