Menu

How do I keep our cat from...

peeing all over the house. I am really at a loss here. She is peeing in a number of places all over the house. I do not want my house to smell like cat urine!!!! We have had the cat since November and we all love her but I do not know how to fix this! This cannot go on. Her litter box is clean. There is no blood in her urine. I have tried using this cat urine eliminator spray and she still pees where I spray. Then, I read on the internet that if you put aluminum foil on the floor where they pee they won't go near it because they do not like the sound or texture when walking on it. As soon as I laid it down on the floor she got on it and laid down and a few hours later there was pee on it :glare:. I really do not want to get rid of her, but this cannot go on. It smells so BAD!!!

First you need to rule out a urinary tract infection. Even if you cannot see blood in the urine, she can still have an infection or crystals in her urine that are irritating and lead to an infection. Bladder stones are also a possibility.

Not having enough litter boxes or not cleaning them frequently enough are other reasons cats pee outside the box.

Any changes to her routine can also cause this issue from having a baby to moving to adding or deleting a pet from the family.

I would bring her in for a check-up and a urinalysis. They can also screen for diabetes and kidney issues which can initially mimic a UTI.

First you need to rule out a urinary tract infection. Even if you cannot see blood in the urine, she can still have an infection or crystals in her urine that are irritating and lead to an infection. Bladder stones are also a possibility.

Not having enough litter boxes or not cleaning them frequently enough are other reasons cats pee outside the box.

Any changes to her routine can also cause this issue from having a baby to moving to adding or deleting a pet from the family.

I would bring her in for a check-up and a urinalysis. They can also screen for diabetes and kidney issues which can initially mimic a UTI.

Thanks Soph, I will make an appointment with the vet.

UTI was my first thought. Did she just start doing this or has she done this since you got her? How old is she? Has she been spayed?

She is approx. 1 1/2 yo and she has been spayed. Several months after we got her I noticed that she was peeing on dirty clothes that were in laundry baskets down stairs. So I tried my best to keep her from getting down there. Every time the basement door was accidentally left open she would immediately go downstairs and pee on the dirty clothes or if the laundry basket was empty she would pee in the basket. Then, not too long ago (maybe a month or so ago), my daughter was cleaning her room and she had some clothes and pillows on her floor and they were saturated with pee. The cat's litter box is in her room! After we cleaned up her carpet and got rid of a rug and pillows I thought we were okay. So, a few weeks ago, I noticed a yellow spot on the rug in our bathroom. I thought maybe one of the kids had a small accident. I tossed the rug in the wash and replaced it with another one. The next day, another yellow spot and a very strong cat urine smell. I stopped putting a rug on the floor and she continued to go on the floor where the rug had been. And then, she started peeing in th hallway where someone had left a shirt on the floor. I immediately cleaned the floor where the urine had soaked through and now she pees in the hallway. I bought some urine eliminator and sprayed everywhere she had been peeing and she still pees there and in the past few days she has been urinating ALL OVER my daughters room. It just keeps getting worse! I guess the next step is to go ahead and take her to the vet and see if this is, in fact, a UTI. I just hope it is not too late...

There is also another bladder condition that can cause this. You need to have the cat evaluated at the vet's office. My cat has this condition and takes powdered supplements on her cat food. It helps a lot and she has flare-ups only once in a great while now. Please take your cat to the vet!

Mary

Definitely have her checked for a UTI. We recently went through this with our cat. He ended up have a UTI. Treated it and no more accidents.

Cats are divas. They are ornery and like things their way. My kitty will only go in his litter box when it is clean and only if it contains a certain type of litter. We tried changing the litter and he refused to go. We got a new litter box and he refused to use it. So, we had to go back to what was working.

Have you changed anything? Moved a piece of furniture even 1 millimeter? Have you left her alone? In a kennel? My cat developed his UTI after we kenneled him during a trip. He apparently refused to go at the vet's office.

Also, you may want to get some of those disposable cat litter boxes and set those out in places she likes to go. Get her used to using the litter box again.

Of course, none of this will work if she has an untreated UTI, though you can do this while she is being treated. Hope this helps.

Wendi

The vet visit is a good idea. In the mean time, I would restrict her access to the house. Can you keep her in one room? A laundry room/bathroom/etc? Equip it with her food and litter box and a cozy place to sleep.

Make it her room, she doesn't get to leave unless people are in the house and can watch her.