Menu

When to start school?

NC says the school years runs from July 1 to June 30. No problem. IN a normal year, I'd start school today. But it's a family reunion year so we just got home last night, so I'd start school next Monday giving me a week to plan and make copies, etc. BUT the girls made it to the 14u state beginner tennis match on July 17-18. (:hurray:) They have practice 2 hours a day starting this Friday in the middle of the day (so they get used to the heat for the tournament). So I could still start next Monday but they have begged me not to have to do school while practicing this long. I'm thinking to do school lite, but still start. I had thought about doing everything but TOG. Then I thought do only TOG. What would you do?

Options (a) start full school July 13 as planned. (b) start school after tennis on July 20. © do only TOG subjects starting July 13. (d) do all non-TOG subjects starting July 13.

Thanks!

Starting the 13th with a light schedule would let you count the days without being overwhelmed during the tennis activities. I like the idea of ramping up slowly during the summer anyway so that the schedule is a bit lighter, and therefore flexible enough to take advantage of the sorts of things that are scheduled in summer so that ps kids can enjoy them.

Today is our first day of school, so I should probably get off the boards and check to see if the beds are made:001_smile:

If it were me, I would probably wait until the first week of August to start just so the kids have a little bit of idle time between tennis and the new school year.

Of your options though, I would choose to wait until after tennis is over. That way they can practice as much as they want/need to and have time to relax a bit.

I agree with waiting until tennis is over. We had tons of emergency situations this last year and we are not done. So my girls have things like swim and dive practices and meets and the other has dive practice, meets, and fine arts camp and still have school to finish up. It is a lot for them and I wish we hadn't had the problems we had- tropical storms, surgeries, undiagnosed major illness, move, etc,. etc. but we are doing what we have to do. For our purposes, we do one thing for our records and another for the state.

That is the calendar year for every school district I have worked in. That just means they close the books on June 30 and open new ones on July 1. Record keeping dates essentially-the fiscal year. It doesn't mean you have to start lessons on July 1st. Our local districts say the same thing for a school year but we begin lessons about the same time as the neighborhood school-sometime in August- and go until we have reached 180 days.

If it were me, I would probably wait until the first week of August to start just so the kids have a little bit of idle time between tennis and the new school year.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Our school year runs from mid-September to early June, so your school year seems super-long to me, anyway. Do you take a lot of breaks during the year? If not, I think August 1st would give the kids some extra "fun time," and it would probably be good for you to have a few relaxing weeks, too! :001_smile:

Cat

NC says the school years runs from July 1 to June 30.

For *homeschoolers*? No, it doesn't. The hs law says you have to "operate" for at least 9 calendar months, "excluding reasonable holidays and vacations."

You can start and end your school year any old time you want.

Now, maybe the public school year is July 1 to June 30, but that is not applicable to homeschools.

I also live in NC. I am starting school on Aug. 17th - after everyone is home from various camps and has a chance to 'settle' back into home-life. Since I am homeschooling a friend's child this year, I am sticking to a little more traditional calendar. We are taking a week off in September, and 3 weeks in December. We will finish on June 10th of next year.

HTH!

I would hold off on school as long as they have summer activities going on. I also live in NC and we never start until the day of or after public schools. We also finish before public schools. You only need to school for 180 days per year. There is no requirement to school through the summer. If you choose to, great. Just know that you don't have to.

Yep, check out HSLDA for the latest homeschooling info on any state.

For *homeschoolers*? No, it doesn't. The hs law says you have to "operate" for at least 9 calendar months, "excluding reasonable holidays and vacations."

You can start and end your school year any old time you want.

Now, maybe the public school year is July 1 to June 30, but that is not applicable to homeschools.

I say give them and you a break and start after tennis camp. I value year round scheduling for the freedom it buys me...for things like this. Why double up if you don't have to. If the kids wanted to start, then I would let them, otherwise I would wait a few more weeks.

I would say to start now if you ended your school year in March or April and have already had 2-3 months off.

So sad that kids don't get summer vacations anymore... july to june... ugh!

We have to attend 185 days per year in our state. Most families start with the public school schedule (second week in August is common time). They get out last week of May.

We start after Labor Day (2-4 weeks later than PS). We don't take as many holidays in the year (like Columbus or MLK) and we don't have Fall, Winter, & Spring Breaks. We prefer a long restful summer... and a few short breaks in our school days.

This year, baby is due in mid October. So we are shifting gears to meet the family dynamic! Starting mid-late July... break for a few weeks in October (for me to rest & adapt) and to enjoy the baby. Then if we have extra time, we may take a longer Christmas. Still plan to end in mid May.

What fits your family is BEST! Most states (I am sure not all) require a certain number of HOURs or DAYS in class ... not which ones. Use the gift of the flexibility of homeschooling & fit it to your family needs (reunions, tennis, etc).

Your quote is missing something. :D

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, what a ride!"

Anonymous

I saw it saying "..skid in broadside with a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other ..." Of course, I don't drink wine so two handfuls of chocolate would be just fine with me. :D

I'd vote for option B. Personally, we're starting August 1st and following a schedule of roughly 8 weeks on, 1 week off until we hit out 180 days (which will be late May-early June....then we'll have about 7 weeks of summer vacation. We're also in NC.

Your quote is missing something. :D

I saw it saying "..skid in broadside with a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other ..." Of course, I don't drink wine so two handfuls of chocolate would be just fine with me. :D

Sub that wine for a nice Amber Ale and some chips with salsa and I am with you! Hmmmm, maybe I do need to make it more 'customized' LOL

~Tap