Menu

Can anyone compare English from the Roots Up and Vocabulary Vine?

I take it you aren't interested in the Caesar's English from MCT? I just got Jensen's Vocabulary, which does much the same thing as other roots programs and has a very easy to implement format. I think CE is interesting, but it's so auditory, where Jensen's is so practical. :) I glanced through some of the other vocab and roots programs that were at the convention, but I liked Jensen's best. We'll see how it pans out.

Here is my .02 worth:

We started with English from the Roots Up. We did wonderfully until we hit pro (for, before, forward, in place of), then next was prae (before, in front of), and then ad (to, toward, near, next to). My girls (8 & 11) had a hard time with those. I dug out a used copy of Vocabulary Vine. They had several of the same roots we had already covered with EftRU, but the ones in their list were more "science" based. Comparing the two lists of roots, I determined that the VV would be a better choice for us.

I take it you aren't interested in the Caesar's English from MCT? I just got Jensen's Vocabulary, which does much the same thing as other roots programs and has a very easy to implement format. I think CE is interesting, but it's so auditory, where Jensen's is so practical. :) I glanced through some of the other vocab and roots programs that were at the convention, but I liked Jensen's best. We'll see how it pans out.

Actually, I am still interested in MCT but I have narrowed it down to MCT or one of these other two I was asking about and was trying to figure out how VV and EFTRU differ. My son really enjoyed the Building Language vocab book from MCT because he loved the story line. But I showed him the samples of CE today and he wasn't too excited about it. The story format of Building Language is what he enjoyed so much and that doesn't seem to be present in CE.

I haven't heard of Jensen's Vocab so I guess I'm off to check out another program:D.

Here is my .02 worth:

We started with English from the Roots Up. We did wonderfully until we hit pro (for, before, forward, in place of), then next was prae (before, in front of), and then ad (to, toward, near, next to). My girls (8 & 11) had a hard time with those. I dug out a used copy of Vocabulary Vine. They had several of the same roots we had already covered with EftRU, but the ones in their list were more "science" based. Comparing the two lists of roots, I determined that the VV would be a better choice for us.

Thanks for the input!

I usually hate these questions because I feel like I am no help. I have used one of the programs, but I truly cannot compare these programs because I have only used one so, I can share from that experience.

I have used Vocabulary Vines. It would give you the roots and then some words derived from the root and you would have to look up the meaning of the word and write it down on an index card. My son learned different roots with this program. We played the different games to help him remember the roots. I have an old SAT book that has roots also. I will continue my son in that book instead of the science book which is the continuation of Vocabulary Vines.

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

i don't mean to hijack or seem dumb about this, but what "subject" is VV and english from the roots up. is it latin? is it vocabulary/writing? i'm assuming these are for older grades, and since DS is just 1st, we're not there yet .... but when do you start and/or what are the other programs/curriculum you would choose from in order to elect VV or some such .....

thanks. if you're annoyed with my post, just PM me and cyberslap me for being a hijacker (and then politely answer my question ;) LOL)

:)

I usually hate these questions because I feel like I am no help. I have used one of the programs, but I truly cannot compare these programs because I have only used one so, I can share from that experience.

I have used Vocabulary Vines. It would give you the roots and then some words derived from the root and you would have to look up the meaning of the word and write it down on an index card. My son learned different roots with this program. We played the different games to help him remember the roots. I have an old SAT book that has roots also. I will continue my son in that book instead of the science book which is the continuation of Vocabulary Vines.

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thanks! I really appreciate seeing how it has worked for you.

i don't mean to hijack or seem dumb about this, but what "subject" is VV and english from the roots up. is it latin? is it vocabulary/writing? i'm assuming these are for older grades, and since DS is just 1st, we're not there yet .... but when do you start and/or what are the other programs/curriculum you would choose from in order to elect VV or some such .....

thanks. if you're annoyed with my post, just PM me and cyberslap me for being a hijacker (and then politely answer my question ;) LOL)

:)

No problem, I don't mind the hijack... I do it all the time:D. These programs are all vocabulary programs, specifically latin/greek root based programs.

Yup, Jensen's never gets mentioned around here, which is why I brought it up. It's aimed at 7th gr up and is very practical, with a worksheet for each day, cheat sheets you photocopy, and spiral review built in. No flashcards, no stuff you have to make yourself, totally open and go. And for what he covers, well he has two latin roots sections and one greek roots section. I forget how long each section was supposed to last, but I'm thinking 18 weeks. And that's 18 weeks at 4 or 5 a day (I need to look at it more closely). If you slow down the pace a bit, you could milk it even a bit longer. MCT CE is so totally different (more discussion-based), I was wondered if it might be possible to combine them somehow or even doing both. :)

I was wondering if anyone could compare English from the Roots Up and Vocabulary Vine for me?

Thanks!

I've gone thru EFRU with two kids (separately) and have used VV as a supplement. I'm considering starting VV Science Roots in 8th grade, as I have that.

I think EFRU was the "original" program of "index card vocabular" for learning Greek & Latin roots (of English words, by the way), in order to expand vocabulary. The cards feature the root & definition prominently, and then also list derivative words & their definitions.

EFRU is simple to use, but I think users found a couple of things lacking for homeschoolers. One was that some of the derivatives are not words kids ever need to know. It's more the idea of "words have roots & connections - cool!" Another is that retention is not high if we homeschoolers don't have a plan for continuing the learning. I'm sure there were other concerns, since nothing is perfect.

VV is written by a homeschooler who understands these kinds of needs. She specifically searched for words that have real value in a vocab program, and that's why I use her book as a reference & addition. It's also why I'd use it to help with science words in middle & high school. I might have used it as the main program for my second student, except EFRU was already pre-scheduled in MFW (including review methods) and also he was elementary age.

VV seems a little more advanced in terms of writing skills & information. It's also a little more complicated for me to look at -- lots more info condensed into a smaller book. EFRU has a lot of white space :) But everything in VV is cross-referenced and helpful lists are given. Games are also available in order to increase retention.

How's that for a confusing comparison :confused:

Yup, Jensen's never gets mentioned around here, which is why I brought it up. It's aimed at 7th gr up and is very practical, with a worksheet for each day, cheat sheets you photocopy, and spiral review built in. No flashcards, no stuff you have to make yourself, totally open and go. And for what he covers, well he has two latin roots sections and one greek roots section. I forget how long each section was supposed to last, but I'm thinking 18 weeks. And that's 18 weeks at 4 or 5 a day (I need to look at it more closely). If you slow down the pace a bit, you could milk it even a bit longer. MCT CE is so totally different (more discussion-based), I was wondered if it might be possible to combine them somehow or even doing both. :)

Thanks for a more thorough description of the program. I did look at a few sample pages quickly but wasn't able to get a real good feel. I am going to go back and look at them and see if I can figure it out now that I know a bit more about it.

As for combining.... I'd love to hear how it goes if you give it a try:D.

I've gone thru EFRU with two kids (separately) and have used VV as a supplement. I'm considering starting VV Science Roots in 8th grade, as I have that.

I think EFRU was the "original" program of "index card vocabular" for learning Greek & Latin roots (of English words, by the way), in order to expand vocabulary. The cards feature the root & definition prominently, and then also list derivative words & their definitions.

EFRU is simple to use, but I think users found a couple of things lacking for homeschoolers. One was that some of the derivatives are not words kids ever need to know. It's more the idea of "words have roots & connections - cool!" Another is that retention is not high if we homeschoolers don't have a plan for continuing the learning. I'm sure there were other concerns, since nothing is perfect.

VV is written by a homeschooler who understands these kinds of needs. She specifically searched for words that have real value in a vocab program, and that's why I use her book as a reference & addition. It's also why I'd use it to help with science words in middle & high school. I might have used it as the main program for my second student, except EFRU was already pre-scheduled in MFW (including review methods) and also he was elementary age.

VV seems a little more advanced in terms of writing skills & information. It's also a little more complicated for me to look at -- lots more info condensed into a smaller book. EFRU has a lot of white space :) But everything in VV is cross-referenced and helpful lists are given. Games are also available in order to increase retention.

How's that for a confusing comparison :confused:

Julie,

Thank you for the great comparison of both. From your description, I think VV would be a bit better for us than EFRU since it has game suggestions and the example words are a bit more useful.

Thanks!