Menu

Sunscreen?

Would you bother with sunscreen if you or your DC were going to be out only from 8-9:30 am? Or from 5 pm until sunset?

They're on swim team and I don't usually bother with sunscreen at am practice or for evening meets. They've never burned, and I haven't then either- and I burn just thinking about sun! We're very careful about it when we go to the pool in mid-day, and when we go to other outdoor activities.

I would check the UV index at that time of the morning & evening. Around here (southern Texas) we still need sunscreen at 5pm b/c the UV index is still very high, usually an 8 or 9. You can check the UV index on weather.com

Also, although it is important to avoid sunburn- the UV rays can cause damage without a visible sunburn.

HTH

Sue

I would check the UV index at that time of the morning & evening. Around here (southern Texas) we still need sunscreen at 5pm b/c the UV index is still very high, usually an 8 or 9. You can check the UV index on weather.com

Also, although it is important to avoid sunburn- the UV rays can cause damage without a visible sunburn.

HTH

Sue

This is good counsel. Down here in the Deep South, we, too, typically still need sunscreen at 5pm. :-}

Would you bother with sunscreen if you or your DC were going to be out only from 8-9:30 am? Or from 5 pm until sunset?

They're on swim team and I don't usually bother with sunscreen at am practice or for evening meets. They've never burned, and I haven't then either- and I burn just thinking about sun! We're very careful about it when we go to the pool in mid-day, and when we go to other outdoor activities.

I would not, but we're in NJ, so those times of day wouldn't be a problem for us unless we were at the beach (reflected rays). I agree with the others; it really depends on where you are.

HTH

Sue

Where do you find the UV index? Our local news does not have it, is there a website that does?

We live in Tx, and generally we do sunscreen between 10am and 6pm. Our activities usually are before or after those times though, because sunscreen is a pain for the kids.

I live in FL and I am probably going to go against what everyone said. The sun is the only thing that can make vitamin D in your body and most of us are low in it. I try to let my daughter get 15 minutes of unprotected sun per day. I make sure that it is never in the afternoon though, but she had swimming from 8:30 to 9am and I didnt put it on her. But I did put it on her afterward if we were staying in the sun longer. She never burned during that time, but her skin isnt really sensitive either. But if her lessons were longer than 30 minutes or if I found her getting too dark, then I would maybe do it every couple of days with her.

But I think that you also got great advice about the UV index since that is what is damaging to the skin.

I'm in Florida and I never put sunscreen on my kids. IF we are going to the beach in the middle of the day I do, but that's about it. They are in the shade most of the time (all the parks are shaded). When they are in our pool we have a screen room that shades them enough that they don't burn. I think we use to much sunscreen in America and that's why we are so low on vit D. If they were going to lay out and tan, then I would make them use it, but they are just playing out there. My kids were going to swim classes. They did morning classes and afternoon classes (3pm). That pool was out in the sun, but I still did not use sunscreen because it was only an hour class and my kids won't burn in that amount of time. If there was a history of cancer anywhere in dh's family or mine then I would use sunscreen.

HTH

Melissa

Thanks for the tip about checking the UV index. I'm sure I've looked right at it on weather.com and not even seen it. It's 5:30, bright and sunny, and a UV index of 3. I think from now until sundown should be pretty safe.

Because this is so true:

The sun is the only thing that can make vitamin D in your body and most of us are low in it. I try to let my daughter get 15 minutes of unprotected sun per day.

I'd skip the sunscreen during the hours you posted :001_smile: