Menu

Progymnasmata

3Rivers

I've just been looking at this. Is this a complete Language Arts curriculum? If not, what needs to be added?

Anyone have a child who has gone all the way through it....are you pleased with the results?

Another Classical Writing user. Yes it is complete, though I do choose to use a few outside programs instead, just because they fit my style better. For example the only spelling it covers is in the vocab words. It is assumed you have already laid the foundation of phonics and spelling rules so now the child just need apply them. I choose to continue a formal program for now.

Heather

Thank you, Christy! That answers my question about grammar and spelling.

Heather, a couple more questions for you:

Do your kids enjoy the Classical Writing curricula?

Do you just disregard the writing portions of TOG then?

Thank you!!! You are always so helpful! :)

Edited by 3Rivers

Thank you, Christy! That answers my question about grammar and spelling.

Heather, a couple more questions for you:

Do your kids enjoy the Classical Writing curricula?

Do you just disregard the writing portions of TOG then?

Thank you!!! You are always so helpful! :)

We did some TOG after I first bought it, to reinforce paragraph writing. Having the topics nicely laid out helped a lot, but mid year they always transition from learning new things to doing a bigger project where they apply what they have learned, and that just did not go well. In the level she was doing it was a play, so I broke it down into little pieces: Pick your favorite week. Pick one event from that week to re-create. What is the main character in during that event? What are the other characters? Where does it happen, ect... so that she wasn't left hanging, but it was still too much for her. It wasn't long before she asked if she could drop it. Now I do just ignore the writing suggestions, unless there is something that shows up in CW that I want her to work on, then I will use the TOG topics, but not necessarily their assignment. I am also going to start using their Rubics.

Sweet Pea (my oldest) doesn't love the work in CW, but she does find it doable. She doesn't like having to outline, and she would drop grammar and vocab if she could. She goes through times where she enjoys the synonym substitutions, tense and plural/singular work. She would rather not do the actual work, but she likes putting together the new sentences after she has gathered a bunch of options. She is always proud of her rewrites and can't wait for me to check them. I can't imagine anything she would like better other than doing nothing. :D

My younger kids are still doing WWE, but my 2nd dd will be starting Aesop A this year, so right now I only have the one as an example.

Heather

I know there are others who have gone further in CW than us, but my oldest will be doing CW-Diogenes: Maxim next year. He has completed Aesop A&B, Intro to Poetry, and Homer A & part of B.

I LOVE Classical Writing. :-)

It is so thorough and rigorous. It is exactly what I was looking for in a writing curriculum. We use Harvey's Grammar along with the supplemental workbooks CW has, and have found that to be rather painless. You may want to add in spelling separately, but we have found addressing spelling within his writing to be effective. My son is a natural writer who enjoys it very much, so keep that in mind, but I am very, very happy with the results thus far. He has a good grasp of finding strong language, substituting, expanding with details, and writing for concision. He has learned outlining skills well and can diagram much better than I ever could.

My dd10 is about to begin Homer B. She is not as naturally strong in writing, and frequently takes offense at the critiquing and re-writing portions of her week. But she is also progressing very nicely.

My dd10 is about to begin Homer B. She is not as naturally strong in writing, and frequently takes offense at the critiquing and re-writing portions of her week. But she is also progressing very nicely.

My older son is currently doing Homer A. He gets very upset about the critiquing and re-writing portions. He understands what he needs to do, but does not always apply what is learned. We usually have to go over it more than once.

Well, I just wanted to say that I am teaching Classical Writing Homer to my older son. We started with Writing Tales and moved to Classical Writing. They are both progymnasmata. I feel that Classical Writing is thorough. I do not add a spelling program because I agree with the Charlotte Mason approach of copy work and dictation will cover that area. Classical Writing has dictation and thus, I do that section. Classical Writing offers grammar with the diagramming of the sentences and the vocabulary analysis. I feel it is thorough.

I also do Latina Christiana II for grammar.

That’s what we do in terms of progymnasmata.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony