Menu

Birthday coming up for oldest dd---need gift suggestions!

OK---I need some good gift suggestions for my oldest daughter, who will turn 16 on Tuesday! She refuses to tell me what she wants, and only says, "Surprise me!"

She's not into clothes (but I bought her some anyway); she likes to read and she likes to study literature and literary analysis. Are there any good books, geared towards kids her age, regarding literary analysis?

Also, my middle daughter (and possibly the oldest) is interested in reading Milton's Paradise Lost. Which edition would be best? There's one with illustrations by Gustave Dore; however---does anyone know if Omnibus is going to cover this in the future? If so, should I just get the Penguin Classics edition, which is usually what Omnibus suggests?

Thanks in advance!

My dear son turns 16 on Monday! Yikes! After much nagging on my part, he asked for sheet music from two of his favorite bands. Additionally he is receiving a "Macgyver tool" known as the Warranty Voider in the Make Magazine store:

http://store.makezine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKWVE4

My husband also ordered some electronics stuff from Make, although I'm not sure if this gift is exclusively for our son since his Dad is a fellow geek.

Happy birthday to your daughter!

Jane

Guest Katia

My dd turns 16 in two months. So far, I've purchased the two newest CDs put out by the Von Trapp Children. She likes to listen to them.

She also likes the old group 2nd Chapter of Acts, so I might buy some of those for her. (she loves when I introduce her to some old group I used to listen to, and these are just the latest I've thought of)

I'm going to make an appointment to get her hair cut/re-styled. It has no style at all now; just long and parted on the side. I think we'll try something new for a new age.

She loves the Sherlock Holmes stories, and I purchased her a complete volume of them for Christmas (leather-bound). Now, she is enjoying the new Enola Holmes , so I might get her the newest book since our library won't have it for a few months.

Other than that, I have no really special ideas. I thought of making an appointment at a department store to have her face made-up and buy her some nice make-up, but she really doesn't wear it much or care, so we probably won't do that.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas myself!

advanced version of a Swiss Army pocket knife? Your son is really into science, isn't he? BTW, tell him happy birthday from all of our family!

Jewelry is a good idea---she's not a big jewelry wearer, but I had given her a pair of earrings and a necklace a few years ago with her birthstone in them. I think the jewelry store sells a matching ring to go with. She's probably old enough for that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sherlock Holmes is a good idea, but I'm trying to remember if we already own a volume.

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming!

:)

what if you and your dh each wrote her a letter expressing your pride, love, etc. for her? Also how you look forward to how your relationship will change and grow as she transitions into adulthood. We are very good in our family about telling each other that we love each other, but often I find we are not as specific as we should/could be. Sixteen is kind of a milestone birthday. I think letters might make a nice keepsake. Especially one from Dad. I am of the opinion that children get their sense of worth and self-esteem from the parent of the opposite gender. Especially girls. Now, I don't have a girl, and I can assure you it might take some persuading to get my *dh* to do this, but I think it would be worth it. You could even get grandparents and siblings to do this and package them up in a keepsake box.

Just an idea.

My almost-16 dd also likes good literature. For the past several Christmases and birthdays she has gotten nice hardbound copies of classic books. Most of them are Everyman's Library editions. They are lovely editions that are all the same color/height. She feels like she is slowly creating the library that she'll have in her own home some day.

http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/classics/

In the area of books, you might consider giving her:

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: A Lively and Entertaining Guide to Reading Between the Lines by Thomas C. Foster

or, if she is interested in writing as well,

Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them by Francine Prose

A silver charm bracelet with a "16" charm as well as some other charms that reflect her interests would be another idea. See Blue Mud for some very reasonably priced charms.

http://www.bluemud.com/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=127

Gift certificates are always a hit here. Favorites include: Borders (for books or music), Cold Stone Creamery, the movie theater, Trader Joe's (for their goodies), and the beading store.

Have fun!

Regards,

Kareni

My eldest dd will be 16 in a couple of weeks. Last Saturday we took her to the ballet to see Romeo & Juliet. Seeing this ballet was on her life goals list.

Any major productions in your area, or could you make a trip to see something special? We flew out to LA last June to see Wicked to help celebrate her dearest friend's 8th grade graduation. It was a ridiculous amount of money to spend but made for a very special time.

HTH

I just placed an order with Barnes & Noble this a.m. for some birthday books; I wish I had thought of "How to Read Literature Like a Professor"---great suggestion!

I like the idea of having her dad write her a letter----I would agree that young girls need the influence of their fathers in this area. I've saved every letter my dad ever wrote to me!

Boy, you all have great ideas! Thanks so much!