Menu

How do you schedule science/history?

creekmom

I am really having a difficult time scheduling these 2 subjects for next year. I know WTM does one on MWF and one on TTH, but I don't think my brain can switch gears like that every day. In the past, I've alternated 2 weeks on one and 2 weeks on the other. Also, part of me feels a little guilty thinking that public schooled 5th graders do both every day - so am I cheating him if I don't do each every day?

For science, I bought the Real Science for Kids Chemistry and Biology and the Spectrum science workbooks. For American History, he's doing Abeka and spending a few weeks on state history and government. Thank you in advance for your great advice!! :001_smile:

Also, part of me feels a little guilty thinking that public schooled 5th graders do both every day - so am I cheating him if I don't do each every day?

I don't know where you live but here in my corner of Washington the kids don't get science and history every day. I'd be surprised if they got it once a week - they are always busy trying to teach to our standardized test.

That being said, have you tried teaching your one year of science in a semester (so every day) then teaching your history for the next semester? I personally teach science and history on TTh. It breaks up the week and I won't schedule as many other subjects on those days.

The elementary kids here in VA don't get them every day, unless you count answering a couple of review questions (geared to state tests) each morning.

In the ps here they alternate days. One week History: M,W,F; Science: T & TH. Following week, Science: M,W,F; History: T&TH.

For 7th grade this year, dss will have both on Mon. and then alternate the other days (History: Tues & Thurs; Science: Wed & Fri). I have each scheduled for 45 min. on Mon. and then 90 min. the other days. This way they can review/test on Mondays, and the 90 min on the alternate days gives us more time to spend on each subject.

Dd in 3rd grade had social studies, which did not always include history, 2 days a week, and science 2 days a week. It took them 9 weeks to cover simple machines in science, if that means anything.

We do history approximately every day. Science has been less successful here, but we are planning 3 days a week and seeing where it takes us.

I do both every day if we can. Last year I could only do science on MWF with my older one and it didn't work well, partly because my son, having been used to the daily thing, felt very disgruntled that the lessons were longer to make up for being only on MWF.

Edited by EKS

Currently we do science and history 4 times a week each ( we are studying 2 branches of science)

Sun: Science - Earth

Mon: Science - Earth

Tues: Science - Human Body

Wed: Science - Human Body

Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs : History

The lessons are anywhere from 30 mins to 1 hour ( perhaps longer if an experiment or activity are part of the lesson)

Well, some public/private schools do science every day for elementary. Some don't do it at all. Many that cover these subjects only do so a couple of times per week, and the time spent on the subjects is generally not even a full hour. Given all that, no, I don't think you're going to be cheating your children by alternating, no matter how you choose to do that. Also, the time you spend on these subjects will probably be more focused, more intensive, than that of a large classroom....

I wouldn't feel guilty at all about alternating Science & History. Our public schools do that. In fact, my daughter (who is in public schol) only has Science for 1 semester each year. It hasn't been a problem at all. She also only has math 1 semester a year -- that I do consider to be a problem!

Small chunks 4 times a week works well here. Monday-Thursday History, Tuesday-Friday Natural Science. We alternate skill subjects with content subjects to keep ds interested, attentive and engaged.

I am really having a difficult time scheduling these 2 subjects for next year. I know WTM does one on MWF and one on TTH, but I don't think my brain can switch gears like that every day. In the past, I've alternated 2 weeks on one and 2 weeks on the other. Also, part of me feels a little guilty thinking that public schooled 5th graders do both every day - so am I cheating him if I don't do each every day?

Those topics don't get covered much here unless they're being tested that year. I overheard a 4th grade teacher telling another 4th grade teacher that she was finally do a week of science because the kids were begging to do science or social studies. They hadn't done it all year!!

I don't like the MWF/TTH thing. I prefer to do smaller chunks each day.

Our public schools also do not do either history or science every day in elementary. In our district, the students are lucky if they get those things once per week. In addition, history is "social studies", which does not always include actual history.

That said, we generally do history on T/Th and Science on W/F. We like longer blocks of time for each, so this works well for us, so far.