Menu

One more thread on workbox construction

kclopez

I've been through some of the archives on making workboxes. I'm still thinking things through here. I love the idea - I had actually been praying last week for guidance on how to get my 2 middle men to be more independent. I felt I was dragging them along. I think this concept is going to be very good for us. I don't want to invest so much money up front. I am planning to use cereal boxes covered in contact paper for now. I just can't imagine buying 30 boxes or drawers - pure cost wise. (I want 12 for each of my middle men and 6 for the pre-ker) I gotta see if this is for us first. I sent an email to friends asking them for cereal boxes over the next few weeks. One problem people mention is having enough room to stick games or larger items into the workboxs. I plan to photo copy the front or take a picture of the larger itmes and put that in their box for the lesson. Then - they just go get it. I haven't read the book so maybe this isnt ok - but seems it will help with some of the bulkiest items.

The other frugal idea I had - but just can't get my head around it - a hanging sweater holder. They hang from a closet rod and have 12 "shelves". My problems are that I can't figure out how to hang it in our school room and I wonder if it is too flimsy. Maybe some have cardboard lined shelves? Am I way out there???

I'm new to all of this workbox stuff, too, so I don't know whether or not your ideas will work, but I just wanted to say that you are incredibly clever and creative -- I never would have come up with the concept of using cereal boxes or hanging sweater holders! That is so cool!!!

:thumbup:

Cat

My friend cut used USPS priority shipping boxes in half and covered them with wrapping paper

You can actually get the priority shipping boxes for free of the USPS website. Just go to the supply section and you can have them delivered to your door for free. I've gotten them before for other projects.

You can actually get the priority shipping boxes for free of the USPS website. Just go to the supply section and you can have them delivered to your door for free. I've gotten them before for other projects.

Responding very gingerly, and wanting very much not to offend . . . but I have to ask . . .

Those boxes are provided for shipping items, aren't they? It's not a free box service. I struggle with the ethics of taking the free shipping boxes to use for non-shipping purposes.

Responding very gingerly, and wanting very much not to offend . . . but I have to ask . . .

Those boxes are provided for shipping items, aren't they? It's not a free box service. I struggle with the ethics of taking the free shipping boxes to use for non-shipping purposes.

Well, actually I have never ordered them off the website. When I have needed them I have gone to the post office explained that I needed a couple for whatever project and they didn't have a problem with me taking what I needed. You could always go into the post office and ask them.

The other frugal idea I had - but just can't get my head around it - a hanging sweater holder. They hang from a closet rod and have 12 "shelves". My problems are that I can't figure out how to hang it in our school room and I wonder if it is too flimsy. Maybe some have cardboard lined shelves? Am I way out there???

Could you hang them from a shower curtain rod between two bookcases? Shower rods come in different lengths and are adjustable.

Shower curtain rod is an excellent idea! My two bookcases are bolted side by side but maybe I can think of something else!

Some shower curtain rods are not very sturdy, as they are mostly designed to just hold up a shower curtain. Books might break one. You might find a sturdy enough one, or look into a closet rod instead or a shower rod. If you got a wooden closet rod and the wooden end cups you could trim it to whatever size you needed. Just a thought.

You may find the occasional post office that will let you take them for that, but it is indeed against regulations. I guess everyone has to follow their own conscience, though.

Your shelves look great Rebecca. I have just brought my system Trofast from Ikea. I figured if it all went pear shaped i would still use them for toys and other things.

I agree with the OP that you need to suck and see if it will work for your family. Cereal boxes are a great idea and i have seen that done with success on someones blog, although they did comment that long term the boxes are not very sturdy so once you know the system is working it is time for tougher boxes. Sweater holder is also an excellent idea as long as your DC can reach all of the cubbies.

Not sure if I am able to explain our system, without confusing everyone...lol

I like the idea behind the workboxes system, but didn't want to add more boxes/storage systems to our school room ( I know- Im a mean mum...:D )

What I am using instead works well for our space and ages of children.

The 2 elder children have a glass each on their desk ( They decorated their glasses with papers/stickers).

Each night, I write on strips of paper the "normal" school subjects they are to do during the next school day.

ie: Math- chapter 9, pages c & d

English - chapter 22, day 1.

I do this for all of their independent subjects ( though we do read through the work together 1st)

Then to the jar, I add 3 or 4 fun activities for them such as:

* play geography game with mum- 20 mins

* Wii Fit 30 mins

* write a letter to a person whose name begins with 'P'

All the strips of paper are folded up, so they can't see what is written on them, and when they begin their daily lessons, they choose a piece of paper from their jars and start.

They love not knowing what subject is next, and they have enjoyed all the little extra being added, that they seemed to struggle to find time for before ( and its nice to finally use some of the games and resources I always wanted to use - but never got around to doing so)

When we return from our lunch break, or when they have finished a subject around the same time, then we do our together subjects, such as : geography, history and science.

These subjects are also written on strips of paper, and I pin them face down on the notice board, so they don't know what they are choosing.

We have been doing this for a few months now, and it has worked extremely well with the kids, and our days have run a lot smoother, and it takes about 5 mins to prepare the night before ( or after previous days lessons)

Sgilli 3, that makes perfect sense. Your system is brilliant. I think that we'll head this way in a couple of years. (Right now, my dd7 needs the writing intensive subjects spread out a bit.) Really great idea!

Glad it made sense- because I often don't. I have problems writing down what I'm trying to say exactly.

A little like this response..lol :D

Not sure if I am able to explain our system, without confusing everyone...lol

I like the idea behind the workboxes system, but didn't want to add more boxes/storage systems to our school room ( I know- Im a mean mum...:D )

What I am using instead works well for our space and ages of children.

The 2 elder children have a glass each on their desk ( They decorated their glasses with papers/stickers).

Each night, I write on strips of paper the "normal" school subjects they are to do during the next school day.

ie: Math- chapter 9, pages c & d

English - chapter 22, day 1.

I do this for all of their independent subjects ( though we do read through the work together 1st)

Then to the jar, I add 3 or 4 fun activities for them such as:

* play geography game with mum- 20 mins

* Wii Fit 30 mins

* write a letter to a person whose name begins with 'P'

All the strips of paper are folded up, so they can't see what is written on them, and when they begin their daily lessons, they choose a piece of paper from their jars and start.

They love not knowing what subject is next, and they have enjoyed all the little extra being added, that they seemed to struggle to find time for before ( and its nice to finally use some of the games and resources I always wanted to use - but never got around to doing so)

When we return from our lunch break, or when they have finished a subject around the same time, then we do our together subjects, such as : geography, history and science.

These subjects are also written on strips of paper, and I pin them face down on the notice board, so they don't know what they are choosing.

We have been doing this for a few months now, and it has worked extremely well with the kids, and our days have run a lot smoother, and it takes about 5 mins to prepare the night before ( or after previous days lessons)

I really like this idea and might use a combo of ideas, including yours. I think I will set up a 7-drawer stacking Sterilite shelf for each kiddo with numbers on each drawer, but then let them pick out of a jar for the order they do stuff in. I will already have one free shelf if I shuffle a few items that are currently in the 3 shelves I have, so the only cost will be around $20-25 for one more stacking shelf.

Adding my bits on the shower rod/sweater or shirt boxes that hang... Ikea (as I'm sure many other places do) have a holder that stands about five feet with the sole purose and design to be a standalone for these sorts of closet boxes. Even better, they are inexpensive! They cost around 15 to 20 dollars. I hope that helps some of your ideas to flower.

Adding my bits on the shower rod/sweater or shirt boxes that hang... Ikea (as I'm sure many other places do) have a holder that stands about five feet with the sole purose and design to be a standalone for these sorts of closet boxes. Even better, they are inexpensive! They cost around 15 to 20 dollars. I hope that helps some of your ideas to flower.

:toetap05: Yet another reason I wish we had an Ikea closer than four hours away!

(big sigh)