Menu

What do you think is the most important

Both my boys are bright and catch on to things quickly. By using challenging curricula and allowing them to work at their own paces, I have taught them that effort is worthwhile and bears fruit.

Contrarily, I hope that I have taught them that their disabilities (stutter, dyspraxia) are not reasons for shame, just part of who they are, issues that they have to work with and strive to reach beyond.

Laura

The most important character trait that my son has developed was cultivated by his Montessori school: kindness. At the school, the older children regularly did activities with the younger. He was treated respectfully and reciprocated. Now I see his aspect of his personality when he volunteers with injured birds at the rehabilitation center as well as around younger children at 4-H.

Academically, I think that the most important thing that my husband and I have done together is develop an avid reader. We are the sort of family that has library dates together, always travels with reading material, and talks about books. My sister in law was shocked to learn that we read the newspaper at breakfast and books or magazines at lunch (but not dinner--that is conversation time). From science books to Great Books, the kid will read it all.

Academic Wise: To ask questions and not accept as truth statements made by others no matter how educated the individuals appear.

Character Wise: To turn to their faith first for the answers to those questions and to hold up all other answers against the Truth to see how they measure up.