Menu

New to Prima Latina...

Tara

and wondering if I'm doing it right. I bought the workbook, but I'm wondering if there was something else that I should have to go with it? There's not a whole lot of help with pronunciation or making the lesson flow smoothly.

My kids really want to learn it, and we're having fun with it, but I suspect that it could be going better.

Any thoughts??

I was in your boat 3 years ago. I wanted to start Latin, but with no Latin background myself, I was very intimidated. I started with Prima Latina which is a gentle start in itself, but I also used the DVDs. I personally found the DVDs invaluable. It helped me learn how to pronounce the Latin words, how to chant, and how to set up a lesson. I used the DVDs for LCI too, but now that we are in LCII, I've found that I don't need them anymore.

HTH!

There's a teacher's manual, which is mostly helpful for quick checking of work, a cd and a dvd set. The cd is invaluable, imo - - it makes vocab practice so very easy, especially if you have a cd player in the car. The dvds aren't strictly needed for Prima, but they make life easy (and, in LC1, I wouldn't want to be without them).

I don't think I could've taught my son withough the dvd's and the pronunciation cd.

It takes 20 minutes to get to my daughter's dance class- so we use that time for latin (our homeschool on wheels). He watches the DVD and then the next day we do the workbook together, I ask him the questions and I write down the answers for him. Then when I bring him to his martial arts class Mon,wed, Fri. we all listen to the pronunciation cd 3x. It's been working well. In fact, last week my daughter (3 yrs old) said "Salvete Magistra" for no reason. I know she didn't know what she was saying, but my son and I thought it was cool. :)

Although, I would like to ask the others if they do a review. I haven't used the flashcards but I might use it for the rest of the week and next week - just to review all the words he's learned (we are on lesson 14).

Oh, easy-peasy. Bingo can be adapted to any subject!

Just use something for the boards--cardstock is nice, posterboard cut up is nice, but you can just use blank paper. We usually use construction paper cut to 8x8, or whatever size isn't wasteful.

Make a grid with marker--how big depends on how long you want to play each game, the age of your child, and so on. For Latin, I'd probably make it 5x5. Make several boards so you can switch them around.

Then, just make cards to call out--you can do it many ways. One way is to write a Latin word in each box on the grid (make the center a free space!) and then make corresponding definition cards on index cards cut in half (or small slips of paper). You call out the English word, they search for the proper Latin word on their board. For space markers, use M&Ms, raisins, buttons, bingo chips, etc. You can play where they just have to get 5 in a row (or however many completes a row), or cover the whole board, or do corners.

This can be adapted many, many ways. Any subject lends itself to a Bingo/Lotto game. You can make a grammar grid--put noun, verb, adjective in the boxes, then call out a word and have them cover the box with the proper part of speech. Or vice versa--call out "Noun!" and have them find a noun on their card. You can do it with simple sight word matching. Or science vocab, or musical notes, or bible verses (you say the verse, they find the citation, or vice versa).

Gotta love a game that takes 10 minutes to make and is so veratile!

Okay, now I Have to ask: What do the dvds have that the cds don't? We used the cd for Prima & are using it for LCI. I really need the cd, because otherwise I would get completely boggled by pronunciation. We recently added Ludere Latine I to fill out our lessons a little. What would I gain by buying the dvds? (This is a sincere question, btw, not rhetorical.)

Thanks!

Regarding the dvds: It is set up with her as the classroom teacher, standing in front of her 'class' (viewers) teaching the lesson, and there are more explanations and examples given than in either the cd or the teacher's manual.

I like the ease of the dvds, and I definitely find the extra details to be helpful.

Regarding the dvds: It is set up with her as the classroom teacher, standing in front of her 'class' (viewers) teaching the lesson, and there are more explanations and examples given than in either the cd or the teacher's manual.

That Does sound very nice! So far we are doing fine, but I will keep in mind about the dvds offering more explanation if things start to get sticky. Thanks!