Menu

MRI experience

I fell 5 weeks ago and injured my wrist. I had xrays 1 week after the fall, nothing showed up as broken. This week, 4.5 weeks after the accident, I had an MRI and additional xrays. The break showed up on both this time.

This is what I found strange, and wanted to see if anyone else had this experience with an MRI. I swear I felt the MRI pulsing in my hand. And my wrist pain intensified for a couple days after the MRI. Has anyone else felt the MRI?

MRI machines are loud and they do vibrate a lot. The increase in pain was probably from the vibration, tensing up, and/or having to stay in a certain position for awhile.

The actual magnetic beam itself is not supposed to have any physiological effect.

MRI machines are loud and they do vibrate a lot. The increase in pain was probably from the vibration, tensing up, and/or having to stay in a certain position for awhile.

The actual magnetic beam itself is not supposed to have any physiological effect.

I had one during my bladder prolapse that I felt as a vague zapping sensation in a leg (it had nothing to do with the area under scrutiny). I've had them in the past for my slipped discs, and there were without feeling. The one that "zapped" me was an OLD model in a semi body outside of the ER. The unzappy ones were solid and polished things in buildings.

I had no lingering sensation. Your wrist could have been the positioning, or just coincidence, or something more bizarre. Just thought I'd tell you. And, I'm not a nervous nelly who "senses" things all over the place.

I've had one on my neck, and one on my lower back; both for herniated disks. I never felt the odd sensation like I did for my wrist this time. I'm totally relaxed, to the point I can go to sleep during the procedure. I like the sound it makes. I did get an involuntary muscle cramp in the hand/wrist, that could have left my wrist more sore than when I started.

I am one of those odd people who can not wear watches due some sort of electrical interference from my body, and I go through computers faster than my co-workers due to electrical malfunctions.

I have an arm bone that I broke 4 times as a child - had a bone cyst. It aches with barometric pressure changes. I would imagine that the spinning magnet could cause the same type of reaction?

That's interesting, one of the small bones in the middle of my wrist/hand has a cyst, discovered with the MRI. Maybe there's some connection.