Menu

One week in the mountains ... what to bring?

I leave tomorrow with two girlfriends and our combined 9 children for a week in the mountains, while the husbands stay here working to pay for it all, lol. We'll have a nice cabin with all the amenities, woods and a river for the kids to play in, and some lovely places to hike. We'll probably go to Taos once or twice for dinner, but mostly we want to play it low key and hang at the cabin, enjoying the break from the TX heat.

I'm bringing my Bible. Beyond that, would you bring projects or pleasure reading? I'm thinking bringing TWTM vs. Jane Eyre, or working on organizing photos vs. reading John Adams.

Space is severely limited in our vehicle.

How would you spend your week?

Camera and/or sketchbook.

A good novel.

Personally I always bring a notebook and cookbook. I often get the idea to make menus and shopping lists for the next few months when I'm out of town relaxing. Sometimes this urge leads me to buy really, really bad or obscure cookbooks--so now I have learned to bring a good one along.

Make sure you bring a warm jacket or at least a sweater and shell for everyone. It can get surprisingly cold at night in the mountains, even in the summer.

Deck of cards, pack of uno cards, jackets, bug spray, sunscreen, chapstick, and a bottle of wine, ear plugs.

Teach the kids to play uno and rummy.

It gets chilly at night (30's and 40's at night here).

Mosquitoes were vicious when we were camping two weeks ago.

Burn faster at altitude.

If you're going to Taos for dinner, then NM is very dry too.

Have a glass of wine when they are all in bed.

9 kids? you will need ear plugs to sleep.

Enjoy.

give every child their own flashlight and magnifying glass. These things keep my kids busy for hours when we go camping. Oh and some jars with wholes in the lids to collect bugs and creep crawly's but lay down the ground rules first....lol

Pretty much what everyone else said.

Personally I always bring a notebook and cookbook. I often get the idea to make menus and shopping lists for the next few months when I'm out of town relaxing. Sometimes this urge leads me to buy really, really bad or obscure cookbooks--so now I have learned to bring a good one along.

Seriously? I hate menu planning, I can't imagine doing it on my vacation! I will bring the camera and sketchbook. Good ideas.

The Dangerous Book for Boys/Girls (both if you need both :) )

Those are full of kid do-it-yourself ideas.

Also, we got the kids disposable cameras, so they could take their own pictures of our vacation. Oh, and a first aid kit, really, lots of band aids and all the usual kid medicine in your medicine cabinet at home. Calamine lotion, aloe vera, anti itch spray.... stuff to pop popcorn over the fire (or stove), stuff for smores... hot dogs (if you don't eat this stuff, then ignore me, and I'm sorry if I offend). Apples too, all those are GREAT over an open flame, pop em on a stick and the kids will think they're eating like kings ;)

Seriously? I hate menu planning, I can't imagine doing it on my vacation! I will bring the camera and sketchbook. Good ideas.

The fact is, I hate menu planning when I'm busy at home, but I do like to cook; so when I go on vacation, the idea steals over me that if I could just get ahead of the curve, I would be able to cook more and have more fun with it. This usually doesn't work, but hope springs eternal, and at least if I have a cookbook along, I don't end up coming home with some weird juicing cookbook or game cookbook that I will never use, complete with menu plans and shopping lists.

Don't remember whether anyone has mentioned sunscreen and hats, but word to the wise--you can get a nasty burn in about 10 minutes in thin, high altitude air. Bring em and use em!